Main Menu

Dredd Comic For Kids

Started by GrudgeJohnDeed, 11 August, 2019, 01:58:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrudgeJohnDeed

Am I going crazy, or did 2000ad publish a separate comic in the mid-90s which was Dredd but a kind of reimagining, and much more traditional and family friendly? I remember a story about Dredd training a cadet but that's all I've got. I have no idea what the keyword would be to make Google or it's disfigured brother Bing reveal this to me!

dweezil2

You're not thinking of Lawman Of The Future which tied in with the 1995 Stallone movie are you?
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

JOE SOAP

Frank

The answer to any 2000ad-related question you can think of is in Barney, a fantastic resource we really don't talk about often enough.

Lawman Of The Future issue 2, August 1995

Night Patrol, by John Wagner and Simon Fraser

WhizzBang

That looks much better than I expected. Who were the writer and artist on this?

Richard

sheridan

Quote from: Richard on 11 August, 2019, 09:21:31 AM
::)

See the previous post.

Presumably it's one of these three - my guess is the first, though there's nothing about cadets in the title.

(from Barney)
Night Patrol (Judge Dredd Lawman of the Future 2 to 2) 12 pages
Script: John Wagner, Artist: Simon Fraser, Colour: Dondie Cox, Letters: Gordon Robson

Rush Hour 2 episodes (Judge Dredd Lawman of the Future 2 to 3) 12 pages
Script: Gordon Rennie, Artist: Charles Gillespie, Colour: Dondie Cox (1), Steve White (2), Letters: Gordon Robson

Heatwave 2 episodes (Judge Dredd Lawman of the Future 1 to 2) 12 pages
Script: Simon Furman, Artist: Geoff Senior, Colour: Robin Smith, Letters: Gordon Robson

GrudgeJohnDeed

oh wow yeah that's the one, thanks everyone! Ah so it was a tie-in and those are the designs from the movie, it all makes sense now. I remember getting this and the prog and although I thought this was inferior, I was still not upset I had more Dredd to read!

http://www.2000ad.org/functions/cover.php?Comic=specials&choice=lotf23

^Perusing Barney, this cover predicted the Aliens franchise crossover! :D

JOE SOAP

Night Patrol was a reimagined version of the Blood Cadet/Soul of a Judge story originally indended for the cancelled Judge Dredd fortnightly in 1984. One page was drawn and reformatted as a feature in the 1986 Sci-Fi Special.

Frank

Top knowledge.

The page immediately following Night Patrol in issue 2 of Lawman Of The Future is a reworked version of that Gibson feature:

Frank

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 11 August, 2019, 02:41:21 PM
Night Patrol was a reimagined version of the Blood Cadet/Soul of a Judge story originally indended for the cancelled Judge Dredd fortnightly in 1984. One page was drawn and reformatted as a feature in the 1986 Sci-Fi Special.

https://oi240.photobucket.com/albums/ff248/burlearth/2000adsc-fispecial198657_zpsdkdwe7bf.jpg

I was seized by the sudden revelation that Giant (Meg 2.51), by John Wagner and Ian Gibson, and Lawman Of The Future's Night Patrol, by Wagner and Simon Fraser, are both reworkings of that Wagner/Gibson Blood Cadet story from the abandoned fortnightly.

Then I remembered you'd already shared that insight with us here before.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Frank on 11 August, 2019, 03:58:06 PMI was seized by the sudden revelation that Giant (Meg 2.51), by John Wagner and Ian Gibson, and Lawman Of The Future's Night Patrol, by Wagner and Simon Fraser, are both reworkings of that Wagner/Gibson Blood Cadet story from the abandoned fortnightly.

It's notable that Dredd successors Young Giant and Dolman have stories and characters that mirror/invert the other.

Robert Frazer

Quote from: Frank on 11 August, 2019, 03:58:06 PM

I can't help but laugh at the speech bubble that reassures the reader that the car was empty and nobody was hurt. Such an unironic application of a Saturday-morning-cartoon trope! It's one of those things that hasn't been exaggerated in the retelling over the decades but was quite literally true - I can even remember specific instances, such as where the Godzilla cartoon reproached me for cheering along to warehouses getting smashed because "would you be so happy if there were people in them?" and most ridiculously the Battletech cartoon insisting to me that the pilot of the battle-suit I had just seen been blown away at point-blank range by a building-sized 'mech had gotten away safely.
Latest Video - The ESSENTIAL Judge Dredd

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

When it comes to Lawman of the Future, I have to rein in my enthusiasm for a comic that- everyone it seems- thinks was rubbish. Personally, I have always loved it. I bought it at the time, enjoyed every issue, and genuinely mourned its demise. Also, I got briefly excited when at least one online comics site maintained it had merged with Sonic The Comic, and Dredd's PG adventures had continued there. As far as I can tell, they didn't, and the bafflingly wonderful thought of a comic in which Mick McMahon *didnt* draw it, but did the strip about the blue hedgehog instead, will remain forever unrealised.

I bought my eldest son a complete run of Lawman, stuck them in a binder, and they served as his first taste of Dredd and 2000AD. He's now 17, and has a regular order for the prog every week- and has done for five years or more.

My own set of Lawmans are bagged and boarded and get taken out for a reread every now and again. It was a good comic- slightly odd, slightly weird in the sense of being neither fish nor fowl- but it's a lot of fun.

SBT

IndigoPrime

I quite liked it. I've never understood the hate for the title (unlike DC's abysmal Dredd, and the crap IDW regularly spews).