Main Menu

How to make a healthy vibrant forum?

Started by Colin YNWA, 22 August, 2019, 07:41:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrington Boots

Quote from: broodblik on 01 January, 2021, 07:06:48 PM
One of the problems is how too debate with someone because I might have the best intensions but somehow I have offended someone that is not even part of the debate. We then try to give a neutral answer which does not help a healthy debate

As a newcomer to the forum, I have to say that I've generally shyed away from too much engagement because of my relative new-ness. I'd be happy to debate, disagree and explore ideas with people I know, but years of exposure to the internet shows me that the pitfalls of engaging with those you don't know so well are numerous. An attempt to strike up a debate can be easily interpreted as a challenge and lead to all sorts of issues and I'm not really interested with actually arguing with anyone at all on the internet.

I wouldn't have started posting here unless I thought the atmosphere was both comfortable and interesting, but it's a case of waiting not until I know you guys (as I was a longtime lurker) but more until you know me.

In my experience as a newcomer, it's a relaxed and friendly atmosphere and I was certainly made to feel welcome, so something's definitely going right.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

The Legendary Shark

Jump in, Bootsie - we don't bite.

Some of us occasionally suck, though...
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Barrington Boots

Ha! You, Sharky, are someone I both fear and look forward to debating with when I do get into the politics thread.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

The Legendary Shark

Fear? Don't be daft, I'm a pussycat really. Isn't that right, guys?

Guys...?

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Bolt-01

Barrington - when conventions are once again taking place, or even one of the boards meet-ups, come along. I've met many of these folks in the real world and it is never anything less than entertaining.

Tjm86

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 12 January, 2021, 10:07:26 AM

Guys...?

Firm. Fair. Occasionally Delusional. :lol:

EDIT: And, to be fair, kinda optimisitic.
Lock up your spoons!

Funt Solo

In the olde forum someone would definitely have posted on this thread by now that everyone's a c...

Ah - we're not allowed to say that anymore. Probably for the best.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Funt Solo on 12 January, 2021, 03:26:51 PM
In the olde forum someone would definitely have posted on this thread by now that everyone's a c...

Next best thing. ;-)
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Tjm86

Quote from: Funt Solo on 12 January, 2021, 03:26:51 PM

Jeremy?  [Hunt]

Funt Solo

Sweet Violets

There was an old sailor who sat on a rock, teaching the children to play with their
Toys and marbles in the old days of yore, when along came a lady that looked like a
Decent young lady - she walked like a duck and said she could teach them a new way to
Educate their children, to read and to write, while the boys in the cow shed were shoveling the
Muck and the mire, and the Lord in the manor was pulling his
Horse from the stable to go to the hunt, and the Lady in her boudoir was powdering her
Cheeks and arranging her vanity box - it was a long time since she'd had a dose of the
Sweet violets.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Legendary Shark

"...after which, the Reverend Spooner was blacklisted from ever again addressing the ladies of the Carey Hunt."

Albert Einstein's Big Fun Encyclpoaedia of Bollocks, (Wibble & Poon Press, 1929).

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 12 January, 2021, 02:53:27 PM
Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 12 January, 2021, 10:07:26 AM

Guys...?

Firm. Fair. Occasionally Delusional. :lol:

EDIT: And, to be fair, kinda optimisitic.

I'll take it, delusions and all! Thank you, Sir!

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

milstar

I know it probably won't make the forum vibrant and healthy, but it could be nice if a user can modify his/her comments that go way beyond around five minutes limit or delete comments.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

IndigoPrime

We've had too many incidents in the past where actionable content was posted here, albeit from a very small number of accounts and users. On that basis, the existing edit function was the biggest compromise Rebellion was willing to take, at least giving people the chance to read over their post and make corrections.

Should anyone want a post removed or edited, they can contact an admin and it might be dealt with accordingly. (For example, if someone accidentally posts a duplicate or mucks up some quoting, we will likely fix it.)