Main Menu

Prog 2200 - Beyond The Frontiers Of Future Fiction!

Started by Goosegash, 19 September, 2020, 11:51:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChickenStu

This will be the first issue of my renewed sub! Can't wait! 😀
Ma Ma's not the law... (you know the rest)

broodblik

Dredd – Dredd is where he should be handing out justice on the streets. He is again starting to question himself. We also have some board-room stuff going on which most likely will drive the story.   When was the last time we saw Boo cook in the prog (his last work was for the meg on Blunt)

Future Shock – It started as a very generic shock but ended in an interesting twist. It is maybe time that Tharg gives Rory McConville a bigger jab at a more substantial story than all these once-offs.

Hook Jaw – I did not see this coming, I expected something completely different.  It is great to see Rebellion is preparing to use their acquisitions.  Let us see how this series unfolds.  Leigh's art is always a great plus in the prog, he is one of my favourite artists.  Last point is maybe this opens the door for a return of certain polar beast to return to the fold as well.

Sin/Dex – After last week shocking ending I tough this could not go worse for the duo. How wrong was I.  The ending was a total surprise, wrapped around a panel by panel action-fest.

Skip Tracer – I enjoyed the previous series of Skip but this one is not really tingling my interest that much but let us see where this leads too.

Stickleback – Great to see this return after so many years.  Edginton and D'Isreali (just loves his B/W art here) sure knows how to deliver. This is a more a catch-up episode but after so many years we needed this.

Overall, the jump-on-prog did deliver in a solid way. Two surprises for me with only one slight disappointment. We do not always know the intrigues and issues to get the prog delivered in this trying times. Great jump-on point Tharg.

I am looking forward to the return of Fiends, next weeks new story looks quite interesting.

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: ChickenStu on 23 September, 2020, 12:40:10 AM
This will be the first issue of my renewed sub! Can't wait! 😀

Good place to start from for sure.

Super Mario

[spoiler]Defund the Judges?[/spoiler]

Interesting, but maybe a bit on the nose.

TordelBack

Well that was a mighty read, expectations confounded, confections expounded.

Love the Cover, this (and Booda's virus one from the Sourdough Spring) put me in mind of the Maestro's series of wraparounds in the 300s that lured me into this accursed briar patch in the first place. I spent an unreasonable amount of time pinch-zooming about before I even started reading the prog-proper. Why is there a Judge's head in the maw of the main mechababyheadworm?  WHY?  More of this kind of thing,  and more Tim Napper while you're at it. This is what I pay my digi-groats for! 

Dredd is a solid old-school epic-logue, with Boo pulling out all the stops: that Atlantic Wall shot was great. Not in love with Beeny being the one to voice 'the poorer the population the more violent crimes they commit', seems a bit disappointing from a supposed reformer,  but I suppose she's still a fascist bullyboy like the rest of them.

Omnidetectorists was a great one-off from McConville, and best of all a new (to me) twist. Liked the stark inking and robot designs from Carpenter. When a FS works there's little better.

Now I was a little underwhelmed by the idea of more Hookjaw, but this take was a fun surprise. Worley can write gorey horror like a bad'un, and Gallagher (here gone Full Talbot) can most assuredly draw it. Shouldn't you be drawing Kingmaker, Leigh? Isn't that why we let you off Defoe?   Ah, we'll let you moonlight on this for a bit, but no dawdling.

Sinister Dexter . Powerful shocks aplenty,  but for me this draws us back to the Tron explanation for post-Generica events ('Bulletopia'? 'Boys in the HUD'?). And could all this be happening as an AI simulation in Dex's headcase? No disrespect intended to Assirelli, who does strong work here, but it would have been better to have this sort of major event under the pen of the current series artist (although I appreciate that unknown circumstances may have meant further unwanted interruptions).

Skip Tracer
returns.

Oh alright, I'll give it one more chance to engage me. It's not a great sign that he's still not chasing skips, and the Logan/Cable/Lone Wolf route is well trodden, but at least Marshall has taken pains to make the character design a bit more distinctive. Bring it on.

StIckleback. Hrrrrrrgh.  so beautiful To be honest, I didn't think this, one of my all-time favourite series, would ever return, and I wasn't at all keen on the Holmes thing. But not only is it back and as soooo beautiful stunning-looking as ever, but Edginton sells the new status quo and the current crisis so adeptly that I'm already frothing at the mouth for more. I'll just have another little read,  shall I?

Proudhuff

Great, great prog!!
Dredd right on the button, Marvelous having Shirley Holmes back with that beautiful art work in Stickleback and so happy to see SinDex finally starting to wind down, fingerscrossed its not the big two reboot button in a couple of iusses, or worse, we're all living in a video game AI simulation.
the aptly named Skip story is back too.
DDT did a job on me

broodblik

Did anyone notice a certain superhero in the Dredd strip?
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Rately

Quote from: broodblik on 23 September, 2020, 12:49:47 PM

Was just about to say! SPIDEY SENSE TINGLING!

Richard

QuoteWhy is there a Judge's head in the maw of the main mechababyheadworm?

I don't know why, but it's my favourite bit of the cover! I love his anguished expression!

TordelBack

One of the side-benefits of Into The Spiderverse. I also liked the female judge in the skull-cracking scene who was wearing her respirator with the same attention-to-purpose as many mask-wearers.

Rately

I really liked Boo's work on the strip. Haven't been a massive fan in past, but i thought he really brought life to the strip, and included so much brilliant background detail.

MumboJimbo

Is it our modern savour Quantitative Easement?

Southstreeter

Sin Dex - that's how to do a punch up that fills an entire episode. Pat take note! I thought it was a superb piece of writing. I figured Finny was going to come back from the dead, due to the nano tech, and like the other characters I thought Ramone's hesitation in the last couple of pages was down to grief at losing his friend. But no, he was just looking for his super gun to finish him off, as he knew he wouldn't stay down. Wow.

Jacqusie

Quote from: Proudhuff on 23 September, 2020, 11:48:25 AM
so happy to see SinDex finally starting to wind down, fingerscrossed its not the big two reboot button in a couple of iusses, or worse, we're all living in a video game AI simulation.

Well that's certainly a possibility and those who feel that the series has run it's course will probably be thinking it's rather inevitable that not just an alternative reality was enough, but an AI one too where it's all happening in Ray's headcase or something.

I reckon that the next time we see the story, the action will pan out frame by frame to reveal it's all been taking place in say a modest glass cube, no even better a shimmering pyramid. This will be sat in the back seat of the Edsel as the pair head off to start another 30 odd years of every decreasing circles... :P

Sticky is back and looking as wonderful as ever, I always hoped it would return in some guise, but with the reveal you never knew...

...now just Helium to ressurect in 3 years time!

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

What a superb prog. What an episode of SiniDex! HookJaw is off to a splendid start- this is obviously a completely different take on HookJaw, far removed from Action, and all power to Tharg's elbow- and the droids involved- for a brilliant synthesis of story and art, and for wrong footing me so successfully.

Fantastic to see Stickleback back, and I really wish I could say I'm completely up to speed, but six years is a long time and I am old. Looking forward to where it's going (which I seem to be saying a lot about the prog this week, what with SiniDex and HookJaw.

Everything else was also very good- a decent Future Shock, a solid Dredd, and even Skip Tracer wasnt awful
It's still the weakest thing in any given prog and a Meg floppy waiting to happen, but this one held together okay, and only the colour palette puts me off the art. It looks brown, even though it's actually quite vibrant. Like John Higgins on an off day.

Still dont like the cover though. And the inevitable price rise next week was a small shock, even though it is of course worth twice that.

SBT