Main Menu

‘Love, Death & Robots’ on Netflix.

Started by Pete Wells, 16 March, 2019, 08:39:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bolt-01

Zima Blue and Beyond the Aqulia Rift are both Alistair Reynolds shorts so I'm looking forward to getting to those.

Reached Suits last night- Love the animation style but what those farmers need is Aux!

Theblazeuk

I *knew* I recognised the name, but had forgotten the story. I've got the last four to go through, Beyond the Aquila Rift is top runner so far; I loved The Yoghurt; Three Robots was fine but meh, Cats; Suits was great - certainly reminded me of Gene The Hackman; The Witness has great animation but isn't much of anything; Lucky 13 was fine but interchangeable, very by the numbers but still good.

Bolt-01

I called two variations for the Witness- either the film the other option was that the protagonist was dispatched by the chap chasing her, only for him to see her again from the window- thereby intigating the whole sordid event 'again'.

Leigh S

I hope it gets better than the first episode, which is "mature audience" in the worst, most juvenile way - it was 90s 2000AD flashback time!  Heavy Metal Magazine for sure - big fighty monsters! rape! swearies! lesbians!

The animation was pretty astounding, though I couldnt help wish it was being used to reanimate a mising Dr Who, or for that matter a Mills/Wagner/Gibbons Dr Who, or for that matter an Alan Moore future Shock

Steve Green

Yeah, pretty much what I thought - technically great, but very adolescent laddish 90s.

The robot family one is supposed to be pretty good. Apparently some are adapted stories?

SIP

There is a range of quality in there and I think that they just picked an unfortunate episode to start with as it really is something from the mind of a 1990's teenage boy.

I haven't seen them all yet but persevere, they do get better.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: SIP on 24 March, 2019, 06:36:42 PM
There is a range of quality in there and I think that they just picked an unfortunate episode to start with as it really is something from the mind of a 1990's teenage boy.

There are 4 different episode orders each randomly assigned to individual accounts.

SIP

Oh right, didn't know that. Guess mine started with the same episode as Leigh.

junox

Fantastic surprise series 

Rebellion Studios take note 

pauljholden

Watched all of this, like many I was ready to bail early as the first episode (at least in the order I got them in) was a pretty grim 90s teenage boy nonsense that, despite probably some cutting edge cgi still managed to feel dated.

I thought it was great, I'm ready to forgive and forget any bad because there's so much good. I wish more episodes where animated rather than cgi (or, at least, used the cgi in some new way rather than being a very good looking cut scene).

More of this, please.

And yes, my god, why aren't rebellion producing something like this? Take the Alan Moore future shocks and just animate each one as its own distinct style...

-pj

Mattofthespurs

Just watched the first one 'Sonne's Edge' and can't really add much to what has been said before.

Beautifully produced, I watched in UHD, but the dialogue is a bit stilted. Seemed to be a tad sweary for swearyness sake. Agree it's very 2000 AD but does, as previously noted, veer more towards the Metal Hurlant side of things.

Will watch the rest when time allows.

CalHab

I'm very much enjoying (most) of these.

I found "The Witness" a bit much and didn't finish. The others are of varying but generally good quality and the short nature suits the format.

More like this please Netflix!

Mikey

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 20 March, 2019, 10:38:58 AM
Zima Blue and Beyond the Aqulia Rift are both Alistair Reynolds shorts so I'm looking forward to getting to those.

Quote from: Pete Wells on 16 March, 2019, 08:39:03 AM
Sonne's Edge - underground, cybernetic monster fights. The CGI in this one looked incredible and the story certainty sets the graphic tone of the series.

I've heard nothing but positive things about this series, so it's definitely on me watch list, especially if they've filmed some Alistair Reynolds. And Sonnie's Edge is a Peter F. Hamilton short set in the Night's Dawn universe with a great twist which has meant it's one I've been recommending for years - sounds like Sonne's Edge has perhaps been based on that too.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

JayzusB.Christ

Well, I've got through 5 episodes of the first series and I love it so far.  The Suits episode reminded me a lot of Kingdom, though the twist at the end was worthy of the finest Future Shocks ([spoiler]We're the invaders, not Them[/spoiler]! Love it).
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Tiplodocus

So I made it to the end of these. Very much a mixed bag. I think my main problem with the ones I didn't like was that they didn't have a point.

They just seemed like cool ideas but lacling a good story that either had a revelation or twist or a metaphor that gave you a theme.

Nightfish, Secret War, Lucky 13, the one with Dracula, the werewolf soldiers, Witness, Ice Age... they were just... there.

The ones I liked most; Suits, Zima Blue, Good Hunting, Aquila Rift at least had something (apart from tits) to make you think a little beyond the animation.

Having said that, I'd welcome more.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!