Main Menu

Why No Animated Series'?

Started by Stan, 20 September, 2012, 02:45:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan

I've been trying to introduce a friend to Dredd. He's a bit of a cartoon nut and is wondering why there have been no attempts to make an animated series of either Dredd or (I assume) other 2000AD properties.

Maybe there has but I don't really have an answer for him. Does anyone here have one?

JOE SOAP

It's hard to get-funding-for/make a cartoon about a law-enforcer who shoots people for a living.

Stan

I agree for the most part but the funny thing is that he had this proviso (which I neglected to mention, my bad).

"If someone bullshits "Cuz it's too violent", tell 'em to bugger off!

Dredd could have been just armed with a blaster that vaporizes the bad guys in a flash of light.

No gore.

Perfectly appropriate for TV."

He has anger issues.

WhitBloke

Tell him Cosgrove Hall nearly got the rights from Fleetway, with Nerys Hughes slated to do the voice of Anderson.  And a talking dog sidekick in it.
So this is der place then, Johnny?

Stan

That last part's a joke, right?

And my friend also wants to apologise. He didn't realise I was gonna post his proviso in full technicolor.

Stan

WhitBloke

:o  I'd totally forgotten the Judge Pal in-strip cartoon when I posted that tease suggestion for your friend, Stan.  And now I can't help chuckling at the sidekick dog.  "By the rowr of justice!" 

You superb man, Stan!
So this is der place then, Johnny?

Colin YNWA

There was the ABC Promo doing the rounds a while back and it looked great, I think it was for an anthology type show much like the comic (??? is my memory playing tricks on that part?). Alas it failed to get funding I believe and so didn't progress. The potential is there but someone needs to stump up the cash and take the risk in making it fly.

I have to be honest if this was to happen, regardless of how good the movie is, I'd find this more exciting and I think it'd do more for the long term good of the comic.

Cursed Earth Dweller

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 20 September, 2012, 02:46:33 AM
It's hard to get-funding-for/make a cartoon about a law-enforcer who shoots people for a living.

Not really. Dragonball Z featured people getting eviscerated and superpowerd aliens tearing eachothers limbs off(granted they cut a lot of that on the PG channels). I think a Judge Dredd cartoon could be made the same way and still retain it's subversity.

Alski

A good time to repost this old chestinut - a Spanish 'trailer' for a movie of Slaine: The Horned God

Just cries out to be made proper by Zak Snyder...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRIPAsbhZpM&noredirect=1
"Cool Stuff You Will Like"

Music, Comics, Books, Video Games, TV and Film reviews/articles.

http://cool-stuff-you-will-like.blogspot.co.uk/

SmallBlueThing

I think you'll find it cries out to be a full movie from the guy who made the 'trailer', and that zack snyder (who i will always defend for his glorious 'dawn of the dead' remake) can go shit.

SBT

Stan

Quote from: WhitBloke on 20 September, 2012, 03:47:05 AM
:o  I'd totally forgotten the Judge Pal in-strip cartoon when I posted that tease suggestion for your friend, Stan.  And now I can't help chuckling at the sidekick dog.  "By the rowr of justice!" 

You superb man, Stan!

:) Thanks but I wasn't even aware of it until a friend pointed it out. Shows how much I know. Was that in the mag then? The text looks very 2000AD.

chaingunchimp

Always thought that tiny bit of ABC footage was truly brilliant.
would love to see a 2000ad animated anthology film in the same vein as the 1st Heavy Metal film or the Halo: legends/ animatrix films. Straight to dvd with a Load of violence and different art styles would be good for me! :)
just too metal

my blog: http://chaingunchimp.blogspot.com/

For awesome original art by top comic creators please visit:

http://berserkercomicart.com/

Colin YNWA

Buddy

When I win the lottery that ABC cartoon is gonna get made!