Main Menu

Prog 1631 : Stained Glass Frank

Started by Buttonman, 11 April, 2009, 12:34:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buttonman

No strapline this week but that D'Israeli cover is a cracker - year's best for me.

Munching my way through the thrills but will comment later lest the thread gets stolen from under me.

radiator

re: the Dredd cliff hanger.... am I alone in thinking [spoiler:7pnkj8ic]Roffman...?[/spoiler:7pnkj8ic]

Mardroid

Got this today.

I'm behind in reading my progs though. Still waiting for prog 1629! I got a reply from Denise telling me replacement progs would be sent as asap earlier this week so I was hoping it would arrive today. Never mind. If it doesn't arrive on Monday I'll drop her another line...

vzzbux

Excellent cover best this year. I would have called the thread Franciscus Sordidus.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Wake

Quote from: "Mardroid"Never mind. If it doesn't arrive on Monday I'll drop her another line...

Would that be bank holiday Monday?

Pete Wells

After much sulking and slagging off the postie, mine joyously plopped through my letterbox this afternoon, strange!

Here we go:

Cover - Glorious, as expected, D'Isreali ends the series on a high. If only he'd snuck a tin of fishpaste on there...

Dredd - Chugging along nicely. [spoiler:33ix64jn]Not looking at all good for Hershey[/spoiler:33ix64jn]. Hey Radiator, I'm not understanding why you're suggesting [spoiler:33ix64jn]Roffman[/spoiler:33ix64jn], wanna clarify?

Dirty Devils - I really like this strip. Simple script, great art, excellent premise.

Past Imperfect - Not my cuppa really, sorry Tharg.

Low Life - Huge leaps of logic from our Frank but I'll forgive it as the quality of this strip has been so outstandingly high.

Dante - Superb again! What a cracking first page, Si is on top form in this arc. Scriptwise, oooh Arkady is a little twat isn't he? I almost felt sorry for that poor general! The Paris bit was canny enough but I want the big showdown between the Tsar and Dante to happen!

Can't wait for Zombo next week!

radiator

QuoteHey Radiator, I'm not understanding why you're suggesting [spoiler:3psasef1]Roffman,[/spoiler:3psasef1] wanna clarify?

Admittedly, its a bit of a wild guess and I may have misinterpreted the story...

[spoiler:3psasef1]Whoever is controlling/arming the mutants murdered that guy in the shower - Dredd mentions that whoever did so must have been very neat/obsessive compulsive, and the 'next prog' strapline refers to cameras - these clues just brought Roffman to mind.[/spoiler:3psasef1]

Trilobite2

Beautiful cover. Eyecatching, bright and related to but not part of the interior story. Most excellent piece of art.

Dredd :
going from strenght to strenght and very gripping indeed. [spoiler:ti6hfe7s]Kinda glad Dan isn't dead, agree with Dredd that Hershey isn't fighting hard enough but it was always Dredd pushing for the change. Maybe he is wrong about how much support the other judges would give his reforms? I don't see a Roffman link myself but I don't think I can second guess Wagner either. Just have to wait with bated breath once more.[/spoiler:ti6hfe7s]

Necrophim:
Hurrah, action and a change of venue. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

Past imperfect:
This was ok. Didn't really grip me, didn't really annoy me.

Low Life:
Yes! High point of the prog, pipping even the chin himself this week. Lovely lines, wonderful pacing and it all makes sense! I couldn't ask for more, but I will cos I'm greedy :)

Dante :
Galloping along with the revolution. [spoiler:ti6hfe7s]Arkady is indeed a nasty piece of work and I suspect he's playing both ends against the middle. He's certainly manipulating the Tsar, but I think the Tsar knows he is, which gives me a bit of a headache.[/spoiler:ti6hfe7s]

Damn fine prog!

Van Dom

For 2 years now Ive been envying you people who get the prog on saturdays - it doesnt come out inthe shops here until the following Wednesday. Ive been wondering if I should subscribe or not, but Im in Ireland so even if I did I probably wouldnt end up getting in until the Tuesday or Wednesday anyway....any Irish subscribers care to enlighten me, do you get your subs sooner than it comes out in the shops, is there ever an occassion when its late and you end up seeing it in the shop before you get yours in the post - cos that would do my head in and Id end up buying it...

To get back on topic, I take it Low Life finishes this prog?? And is Zombo the strip thats going to replace it, or is it taking the slot left by 86ers. I thought Savage was due back soon as the next b/w strip....?? Any news of that?
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

Mardroid

Quote from: "Wake"
Quote from: "Mardroid"Never mind. If it doesn't arrive on Monday I'll drop her another line...

Would that be bank holiday Monday?
Tuesday. ;)

Pete Wells

Hey Van Dom! Yup Low Life finishes and this prog and there's also a Future Shock style filler tale. Next prog we will indeed have Savage Book 5 by Mills and Goddard (a very under-rated artist in my book) and Zombo by Al Ewing and Flint. Exciting stuff!

Oh, and at the risk of sounding like a cock, subbing really is great, being able to read the prog in bed with a nice cuppa is ace!

Van Dom

Thanks Pete. Thats great news Ive been looking forward to more Savage.
I certainly envy your cock-ness.... ahem.... getting the prog delivered to your door days before I see it AND Getting to read it in bed.......my sprogs and my progs dont mix so that would never work for me, even with a sub!
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

I, Cosh

This is why we have covers really, isn't it? Apart from to stop the insides falling out. With the big black band forming a vaunted windowsill of thrill, Tony Lee could write an 800 part sequel to Stalag pishflaps if there was something like this on the front every week. Beautiful.

Dredd. This is why we buy the comic really, isn't it?

Dante. How many times has Dante got himself into a duel and it's turned out bad? It's the fact that he'll always take the challenge that makes him a hero. Seriously devious shit from Arkady.

There were other stories and some of them were all right, but they might as well be daubing their own shite on a cave wall when they're printed alongside these two strips.
We never really die.

Darren Stephens

Loved everything this week. Gorgeous cover and every strip enjoyable. A near berfect prog.  8-)
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

vzzbux

Excellent prog this week.

Dredd, chugging nicely

Necrophilia, absolutely loving this, great story concept and the art is top draw.

Past imperfect, Exactly what is required for a filler. Actually read this twice.

Low life, Glad that's over. It was all right but probably better off in the Meg.

Dante, was fine but, too me anyway, the story lines seem to flow with a little bit of predictability, I am scratching my head as to how the duel will end up. I hope Mr Morrison can prove me a twat.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.