Main Menu

Prog 1631 : Stained Glass Frank

Started by Buttonman, 11 April, 2009, 12:34:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M.I.K.

Actually, I was reminded more of Jason King.

Oh, and this chap...

//http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qnULhyWIxU

House of Usher

Quote from: "House of Usher"A nicely generic hero (Lord Peter Whimsey; Sebastian O). Reminded me of Jason King.
Yep, so generic:

Quote from: "M.I.K."Actually, I was reminded more of Jason King.
Snap.

Quote from: "M.I.K."Oh, and this chap...
'Nathan Blaze' - good call! He's the very spit of him. So... generic! Well done Alec and Warren. A hit; a palpable hit.
STRIKE !!!

wrly_bird

Glad most of you enjoyed my script for this Prog's Past Imperfect. "Glad"? Who am I kidding? "Massively chuffed" more like! Thanks for all the feedback. A big BIG thanks on my part to Warren Pleece and Simon Bowland if you're out there. Cheers, fellas!

TordelBack

Not to rain on this parade (it was a good dense and interesting story - reminded me a bit of those Tales from Beyond Science, but in a good way), but I sometimes feel Warren Pleece's colouring takes the edge off his art a bit.  He does these great simple faces, and then seems to lose them behind roughly applied blocks of rather wishy-washy colour.  After so many years, I'm sure this must be a deliberate effect, but I'd still be interested to see him in B&W.

It is good to see that the one-offs are used more sparingly these days (better scheduling of the ongoing strips, I suppose), with the result that the quality is generally this high.

House of Usher

Disregard reference to Lord Peter Wimsey, by the way. Not Victorian, not 1970s, not a playboy nor a dandy; just aristocratic, so not at all from the same stamp as Devlin Waugh, Jason King, Sebastian O, Nathan Blaze and various others.
STRIKE !!!

wrly_bird

I think I initially pictured Dandridge as a cross between Jason King and Withnail, a sort of withered dandy. I can't quite remember. With a lot of Carnacki in there too, hence the (William Hope) Hodgson ref.

Bouwel

What we need is a guide to Dandy-ism. I give you:

http://www.amazon.com/Affected-Provinci ... 493&sr=8-1

Which does exactly what it says on the tin!

-Bouwel-
-A person's mind can be changed by reading information on the internet. The nature of this change will be from having no opinion to having a wrong opinion-

House of Usher

I read an article in the Radio Times recently, which I found very illuminating, about a radio programme on mens' fashion by Lawrence Llewellyn-Bowen. Apparently Beau Brummell, the original dandy, popularized wearing country sportswear in town, didn't wear a wig, and wore neither makeup nor strong perfume. I didn't know that.
STRIKE !!!

wrly_bird

Cheers, Bouwel. That's gone straight on my Amazon wish list - currently about 120-odd pages long. I'm also a long-time reader of The Chap magazine, which is pretty ironic considering the fact that I am known for embaressing myself (possibly my greatest moment was accidentally setting off a fire alarm while trying to sneak out a film at the Institute of Contemporary Arts. True story!) and the fact that I usually look like I was dressed in the dark by a blind man who hates me.

//http://www.thechap.net/

Bouwel

Never a problem. And I'll have to say that magazine has gone on to my 'want to buy' list. I love all things retro. I'm frequently told this extends to my mode of dress, although I think they're not being nice when they tell me this.

Excellent link!

-Bouwel-
-A person's mind can be changed by reading information on the internet. The nature of this change will be from having no opinion to having a wrong opinion-

House of Usher

I had a wander round the national museum and art gallery of Wales a couple of months back (as featured in the Doctor Who Easter special) to get a look at this marvellous picture by a local artist (Kevin Sinnott, 1995), restored to its rightful place after a time away on extended loan:

...and while I was there I saw some sixth former art students looking at the paintings, dressed in a very 'chap' manner, like something out of A Clockwork Orange. 17-year-old youths in boots, bowler hats and waistcoats with collars turned up. I think one of them had on a scarf in a Ruper Bear check. I'd bet good money they were from the local public school.

Oh to be a young chap again oneself. Were it not for the knife crime, of course...  :|
STRIKE !!!

Bouwel

I was last a young chap in the 1980's. Can I still wear my stylish Adam and the Ants new romantic out-fit?
Only problem is that it seems to have been made for a much slimmer person.

-Bouwel-
(Loving that painting btw)

Robin Low

Quote from: "House of Usher"I had a wander round the national museum and art gallery of Wales a couple of months back (as featured in the Doctor Who Easter special) to get a look at this marvellous picture by a local artist (Kevin Sinnott, 1995), restored to its rightful place after a time away on extended loan:

I lived in Bangor for six years, and curiously both those streets remind me of Albert Street in Upper Bangor.

Regards

Robin

TordelBack

That is a fantastic painting, HoU, never heard of Kevin Sinnott but I'll certainly keep my eye out from now on.

JOE SOAP