Main Menu

Prog 1696 - Know Your Enemy

Started by The Enigmatic Dr X, 31 July, 2010, 08:31:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Enigmatic Dr X

Really enjoyed this prog.

COVER - Nice Savage skull thing by Simon Davis. Very Rogue Trooper biochip.

DREDD - bubbles along nicely. I can't help but think there are digs at people here and I'm too much of a thickie to get them

RED SEAS - I kind of like this, but it'sa ll too confusing. I think I need to read the whole thing from scratch to follow what is going on. Bring back THARGNOTES to remind us dummies what we were told six months ago. This is the internet age, we can't remember five minutes ago.

SIN DEX - more of the same. Like Red Seas, my enjoyment of this is diminished by the time between runs - but also by the fact that there are multiple clones of the same people running around. Can't we have the goodies in white and the baddies in black, please?

SAVAGE - Best thing in the prog this week. Loved the "Unforseen consequences" line. Yep, it all goes a bit [spoiler]Half Life.[/spoiler]

STRONTIUM DOG - Blimey. Never saw that coming. Big spoiler: [spoiler]Feral hasn't been rescured - Middenface and Precious are working with the authoriries.[/spoiler]

Really big spolier: [spoiler]Feral dies, burning in agony in a half-page splash[/spoiler]
Lock up your spoons!

Aaron A Aardvark

Yeah, Strontium Dog: typical Wagner wtf twist. Consider me back on board.

Darren Stephens

Good prog.

Cover : Not really doing it for me. Bland.

Dredd : Great stuff. Lots of action. Lovely.

Red Seas : Love this, but thanks to that excellent double page splash it took milliseconds to read this weeks episode. :-(

Sin/Dex : Really enjoying this run. Its all about to kick off next week, by the looks of it. Williams art looks the biz.

Savage : Some very inventive events this week. Like Sin/Dex, it looks like things are coming to a head next week.

Stront L: highlight of the prog. Really surprised by Ferals....exit, too.
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Colin YNWA

Well well well that was certainly a turn up for the books.

What a chuffing brillant Prog, that is of course no surprise at all. Dredd builds really well on last week and has a wonderfully chilling cliffhanger. Red Seas delievers on the action promised last week with a BANG. And speaking of bangs Savage likewise delievers on its promises and manages to do so with an even bigger BANG. All three are wonderful wonderful stuff.

Likewise Sinister Dexter turns things up a notch and it looks as if all the talking and double dealing is over and the gun play is about to start. Bit of a shame that as this has been a great story I've really enjoyed the politics of the crimelordss and bosses. Still great fun and I suspect a twist in the tale, I think [spoiler]Carrie didn't say a word of that conversation from the other room, I reckon its Sinister Dexter making sure things play out away from Downlobe itself.[/spoiler] Just a guess.

And then the big talking point of the Prog. The turn of events in Strontium Dog caught me completely off guard. I felt pretty uncomfortable with Middenface's actions, at first it felt a little out of character, but then its been clear that he isn't the man he used to be and he got the job done the best way he could. John Wagner wrote his reaction to what happened brillantly. Brillant brillant stuff.

Better than great Prog

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

flip-r mk2

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 31 July, 2010, 11:36:31 AM
Strontium Dog...

!

Jim

Jim left speachless,I know how you feel after that.

filip
It's all right, that's in every contract.
That's what they call a sanity clause.
You can't fool me, there ain't no sanity clause.

http://flip-r.deviantart.com/

http://forflipssake.blogspot.com

http://weeklythemedartblog.blogspot.com/

Time flies like an arrow, Fruit flies like a banana

mygrimmbrother

Quote from: Darren Stephens on 31 July, 2010, 09:57:09 AM
thanks to that excellent double page splash it took milliseconds to read this weeks episode. :-(

but what a double splash page! magnificent.

nev

I always love a Simon Davis cover.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: mygrimmbrother on 31 July, 2010, 12:16:21 PM
thanks to that excellent double page splash it took milliseconds to read this weeks episode. :-(

Yeah meant to say its was bloody lovely. Yeowell really is knocking it out of the park with this Red Seas story, more so even than normal. Bloody great.

House of Usher

Great Prog. 8/10.

Judge Dredd was good.

Red Seas was good too. I loved the two-page sea battle panel. There's not much to follow: humans in tall ships try to escape island refuge under attack by giant warship crewed by demons. Anything over and above that and I'm lost.

Sinister Dexter has made me impatient for some shooting, but it looks like we're going to see some now. I don't care who's who; I just want to see them shoot each other. Some very cunning manipulation going on. I think Colin_YNWA may be onto something there.

Savage is sort of good, and a contender for best strip this Prog. As usual, a mixture of stuff I like and stuff I don't like.

Strontium Dog was definitely the best strip in the Prog this week. Deliciously horrible, left-field, startling and decisive. Try coming back from that!
STRIKE !!!

The Monarch

QuoteJim left speachless

Isn't that not a sign of the end times?!?

Ochs

I've been reading 2000ad since the very beginning on and off.

Todays Stront has shocked and moved me in a way that I can't remember feeling reading a comic before.

Really harrowing and disturbing but in a good way. Didn't see that coming at all.

All bow down at the altar of the great Wagner.
Fear leads to doubt which leads to the worst case scenario.

Darren Stephens

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 31 July, 2010, 01:19:29 PM
Quote from: mygrimmbrother on 31 July, 2010, 12:16:21 PM

Yeah meant to say its was bloody lovely. Yeowell really is knocking it out of the park with this Red Seas story, more so even than normal. Bloody great.
Absolutely gorgeous, isn't it? Shows how powerful B+W artwork can be, even in these computer jiggery pokery days. ;)
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Proudhuff

another stunning prog, everything giving 110% thrill power, overload expected - meltdown if this continues...
DDT did a job on me

Dandontdare

Excellent prog for sound effects, including seven 'CHOOM's and a classic 'BUDDA BUDDA BUDDA'

That is all.

Oh and Volgan security .... not that hot is it?