Main Menu

Prog 1775: The Zaucer of Zilk

Started by The Enigmatic Dr X, 17 March, 2012, 09:17:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Well that was all kinds of wonderful.

Okay so Age of the Wolf I can take or leave. Its far from terrible, but doesn't inspire the way so much else does in the Prog these days (and has done for a while on the whole). Despite myself I find I'm drawn in more and more by Dredd. As I've said here so often, its always been beautifully crafted, but the core plot has felt tired and yet this week I was completely pulled in, great stuff.

Dante has a bit of a breather this week, well deserved and well needed but the release off the throttle felt a bit weird. When this is read as one these pages will be a delight though I'm sure.

Flesh was just cracking, simply cracking and simple. Thrill-power at its most distilled, as opposed the Zaucer of Zilk which was the best opening to a series since... well actually only since the recent Indigo Prime, but that's not really fair, as that was so amazing. It was brilliant and intriguing and let you into its wonder, while still leaving an almost infinite world of possibilities to follow. Who knows whats to come and frankly who cares, if it keeps this up we have another instant classic on our hands. The fact that Flesh and Zaucer sit side by side in the Prog so comfortably is the very definition of why the Galaxies Greatest is no idol tag line.

Pete Wells

Quote from: Darren Stephens on 18 March, 2012, 10:02:47 AM
Quote from: Pete Wells on 18 March, 2012, 07:43:34 AM
That opening page of Dante was absolutely beautiful, sniff!
Wasn't it just? (Psst! Hey, Pete. You gonna have this weeks cover on your blog?) ;-D

I hope so! I've got someone making contact with him for me, so fingers crossed! If not, I'll ask good old Simon Parr.

IndigoPrime

No Prog for me on Saturday, but, worse, no Prog today either. Hrm. The most exciting thing to happen to the mag in ages from my standpoint* (Zilk) and it's. Still. Not. Here. Well, nuts.

* And this is with the mag firing on all cylinders for a while now.

House of Usher

It was a very enjoyable Prog and well worth reading. The five strips are all very different, something the Prog absolutely has to do to maximize its appeal to potential new readers. This week's has strips that would appeal to people who like fire, drugs, dinosaurs, werewolves and funerals.

It covers genres as diverse as dystopian future, surrealism, er - dinosaurs, apocalypse and picaresque adventure.

Judge Dredd is the most exciting it has been for weeks, on account of all the destruction. The echoes of last summer's riots are loud and clear.
The Zaucer of Zilk is a study in how they did comics two and a half decades ago in 2000ad, Crisis, Revolver and Deadline. It's a bit nostalgic, but not for anything of which I'm particularly fond. The writing and art are both excellent. So far it's something of a return to Oz. I'll be interested to see what the newly returned Zaucer has to say for himself and where it leads in weeks to come.
Flesh was brisk and exciting; the shift of focus off the mysterious riders from last week is perplexing.
Age of the Wolf pulls its weight in the line-up. Everyone's mileage may vary as regards how much they want to read about survival in a supernatural apocalyptic London, but futuristic tribes are good for a laugh, from A Clockwork Orange and The warriors to Mad Max II. The text speak device falls a bit flat because you have to be able to see it to hear it. How do you pronounce '^' ? If it's pronounced 'up,' as the context suggests, then why not just say 'up'? Nit-pick: am I the only one who thinks it's incongrous that the K9 Krew speak "some sort of pre-Moon language" when "the post-Moon world's all they've ever known."?
Nikolai Dante had some pretty artwork and a tasteful funeral but it was a bit fragmentary, being a bridging episode between conflicts. Still, nothing wrong with that. I'm glad Lulu's okay. I fear for Spatchcock, though. Does the series need him alive at the conclusion? It didn't need Flintlock.
STRIKE !!!

Eamonn Clarke

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 19 March, 2012, 09:52:54 AM
No Prog for me on Saturday, but, worse, no Prog today either. Hrm. The most exciting thing to happen to the mag in ages from my standpoint* (Zilk) and it's. Still. Not. Here. Well, nuts.

* And this is with the mag firing on all cylinders for a while now.
No prog here either
:'(

vzzbux

Yet again Dante had me groaning. He has been smashed beated stabbed and all he has to show for it is a sling. Surely he had a punctured lung at the least. The finale had better be a good one that we have been promised.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

ming

The Zaucer of Zilk... So good I read it twice before I even got to the end of a Prog (the rest of which was great, by the way).

Al, Brendan - very, very good stuff.

:)

JamesC

Business as usual with moth Thrills being a solid read.

I have to say that I loved Zaucer of Zilk though! A really great opener with a creepy and weird vibe. I really hope it manages to keep this otherworldly feel without becoming incomprehensible.

Mikey

Strongest prog in a while for me I must say. I was a bit meh about Dredd the last while, but this episode (and last week to be fair) really struck home. Still unsure about what it's going to be like overall, but enjoying the ride.

Highlights were the cover and the story it represents - not only a sumptous visual feast, but a great opening episode if you ask me. I'm also liking AOTW, but have a minor, minor niggle with the art - I love it but for the fact everyone looks very clean, even though they're essentially scraping by in a destroyed society. It's really not a criticism, just an observation.

And yer boy Mackay gives good dino! Also glad to see the Interior Seaway front and centre  :D

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Proudhuff

Great prog

Judge Dredd so the Staute of liberty wasn't crushed, unfortunate, unless thats a sign!
Wonderful teists and turns hopefully no damp squids...

The Zaucer of Zilk i really really liked this un. I even got Miniminihuff reading the prog again, wonderfully written and realised and what a brain shift from JD bt equally as good, lets hope the magic stays
Flesh just not my cuppa I'm afraid, the female i thought was killed last outing gets killed again wearing a fishnet body stocking while wrangling dinos...aye right.
Age of the Wolf Enjoying this the humour is judged right and the story trucks along at a healthy pace.
Nikolai Dante okay wrap it up now, shows over people nothing too see  :D

A fine prog no stinkers, two top thrills, and okay and one missing the mark, but only just. nice.
DDT did a job on me

Trout

Quote from: Proudhuff on 21 March, 2012, 12:53:39 PM
Age of the Wolf Enjoying this the humour is judged right and the story trucks along at a healthy pace.

Well said. This is a great strip and it's a shame it's not getting more love on this board.

- Trout

The Prodigal

As a old fart "newbie" recently returned to the paths of 2000AD after a short break of 30 years or so I have to say this is what I have been lacking in comics for a long time. Disenchanted by the realm of the standard issue superhero I am now enjoying the ambrosia of Brit style quirkiness found within the galaxy's greatest.

The Zaucer has floated this geeks boat big style-definitely the highlight of this issue for me and looking forward to where it goes.

Low-point? Flesh for reasons already noted on this thread.

Proudhuff

Quote from: King Trout on 21 March, 2012, 12:58:12 PM
Quote from: Proudhuff on 21 March, 2012, 12:53:39 PM
Age of the Wolf Enjoying this, the humour is judged right and the story trucks along at a healthy pace.

it's a shame it's not getting more love on this board.

- Trout

Is that because she's a female who keeps her kecks on and doesn't wear a skin tight jumpsuit?
DDT did a job on me

Strontium Claw

Fantastic prog.
Dredd, Dante and Flesh - all great.
AotW - not bad
The Zaucer of Zilk - FULL STRENGTH McCARTHYISM!!!

That is all.

Old Tankie

Great Prog all round.  I'm really enjoying Age of the Wolf, love the story and the art.