Main Menu

San Diego Comic Con 2009

Started by Robo-K33F, 05 June, 2009, 02:36:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bolt-01

Hear, hear.

I, for one am well chuffed that Tharg deigns to send a container over with droids to help educate the foreign masses (no offence to any boarders from outside the UK, if you are reading this then you have already been converted) and would not begrudge the opportunity for our colonial cousins to get their hands on some prime merch first.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: "Robo-K33F"
Quote from: "W. R. Logan"not to put a downer on 2000 trying to spread the word but would like to see things like the new t-shirts on offer over here before being taken overseas.

Or save money on flights and hotel rooms and sort out the website that has gone from the best comic website to something a bit crap with a half decent message board stuck on it.

Sorry, but I have to disagree with you on both counts.

2000 AD may be a British comic, but we also have readers and fans across the world - why deny US-based fans the opportunity to pick up a few good deals and get something first for a change?

I also can't understand why you seem to want to begrudge us the opportunity of pulling in some new international fans - we have exhibited at the last two Comic Cons and sold all the stock we brought over, a large number of books being picked up by people who have never read a Prog or a 2000 AD graphic novel before.

The issue of the website is entirely unrelated - we have someone working on it already regardless of whether we attend Comic Con or not.  

I noticed that you posted this well past beer o'clock, so I won't get into too much of a rant...

If this where Facebook, I'd give this a thumbs up 'Like' thingy.

opaque

I think those t-shirts are what we have been waiting for for ages. Nothing wrong with the other newer ones but those are so much more like the classic ones. And also even more people would know what they represent rather than people looking slightly quizical about whats written on my chest. (mind you walking round Washington DC with the Eat Plutonium Death you disgusting alien weirdos t-shirt might not have been the best idea).
I don't mind someone else having first dibs as long as we get them soon and they are hopefully a couple of more 'classic' styles in the future.

I can see why you're doing the foreign cons so I disagree with Logan on what point but agree about the website.
At the very least please take down the under construction heading, I think after a year or so a website isn't under construction, it's just waiting for a totally new design.

Emperor

Quote from: "Bolt-01"Hear, hear.

I, for one am well chuffed that Tharg deigns to send a container over with droids to help educate the foreign masses (no offence to any boarders from outside the UK, if you are reading this then you have already been converted) and would not begrudge the opportunity for our colonial cousins to get their hands on some prime merch first.

Amen. Spread the Word.

We can't rest until everyone is reading 2000 AD!!
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Colin YNWA

Quote from: "Emperor"[
Amen. Spread the Word.

Yeah I saw your thread over at the 2000ad Bleeding Cool forums. Good work fella.

Emperor

Quote from: "Colin_YNWA"
Quote from: "Emperor"[
Amen. Spread the Word.

Yeah I saw your thread over at the 2000ad Bleeding Cool forums. Good work fella.

Cheers :)

We should form cells and spread out over the Internet infiltrating forums everywhere, then when the time is right we rise up and let loose a tsunami of thrills!!

For completeness (it already links to this thread) here is the relevant link:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Kev Levell

More fans has to be a good thing, regardless of where they are - it increases 2000AD's profitability and therefore assures it's future.
I'm with all those above that say "spread the word!".

Emperor

Is there more than just a booth? The way Tharg made it sound in his Nerve Centre piece it sounded like they were going to be doing more there (although that is now going on my memory, which has a lot of random junk in there too). However, there is nothing in the program (even if it appears to have the word "prog" in the URL ;) ):

http://www.comic-con.org/cci/cci09_prog_thu.php

Or is this more of a slow build with an increasing visibility at the big US shows?

Robo-K33F

Hi Emperor.

We have a an exclusive Comic-Con T-shirt on sale (I'll have to find out why it isn't up on their site though) and a free 2000 AD Comic-Con comicbook, which the lovely Judge Hershey (well she needed a new job)will be placing into the hands of lucky attendees.

Colin YNWA

Is there any word on whether the Firestop Full Motion Comics stuff will be ready in time?

Emperor

Quote from: Robo-K33F on 14 July, 2009, 10:02:48 AM
We have a an exclusive Comic-Con T-shirt on sale (I'll have to find out why it isn't up on their site though) and a free 2000 AD Comic-Con comicbook, which the lovely Judge Hershey (well she needed a new job)will be placing into the hands of lucky attendees.

Ooooo free comics too - I'm awfully jealous.

locustsofdeath!

As someone now living in the UK, but from the States, I think this is a great thing - I can understand that some of you are upset, but it is incredibly difficult to get your hands on 2000AD Stateside. Maybe this will help. In any case, this tactic is much better than handing over the character to DC (ahem) to do with it as they please.

Grant Goggans

You know what I want to see in the next few days?  More posts similar to this one from the Beat, about Top Shelf's plans for the con:

http://pwbeat.publishersweekly.com/blog/2009/07/14/sd09-top-shelf-1721/

This is all kinds of awesome that there will be exclusive T-shirts and comics at SDCC from Rebellion, but that kind of news needs to be shouted from CBR, from Newsarama, the Beat, the Pulse, Comicon, everywhere.

Robo-K33F

Quote from: Emperor on 14 July, 2009, 02:03:07 PM
Quote from: Robo-K33F on 14 July, 2009, 10:02:48 AM

Ooooo free comics too - I'm awfully jealous.

Hmmm...do you subscribe to 2000 AD and the megazine?

Robo-K33F