Main Menu

San Diego Comic Con 2009

Started by Robo-K33F, 05 June, 2009, 02:36:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Oh wow that tee-shirt is lovely. Damnit shame we won't be able to get it over here (well aside from by paying over the top on eBay no doubt). Still if it raises the stakes over there all good.

locustsofdeath!

Ha! I love that shirt. So perfect.

I went to school at San Diego State, and that's where I met my wife. Well, I convinced her to go to the Comic Con wth me one year, and after pushing our way through the geeky masses for a few hours, we sat down to have a nice lunch with a pair of Klingons and Sailor Moon. Needless to say, I am surprised she married me a year later.

Emperor

Quote from: Robo-K33F on 15 July, 2009, 09:20:22 AM
Quote from: Emperor on 14 July, 2009, 02:03:07 PM
Quote from: Robo-K33F on 14 July, 2009, 10:02:48 AM
We have a an exclusive Comic-Con T-shirt on sale (I'll have to find out why it isn't up on their site though) and a free 2000 AD Comic-Con comicbook, which the lovely Judge Hershey (well she needed a new job)will be placing into the hands of lucky attendees.

Ooooo free comics too - I'm awfully jealous.

Hmmm...do you subscribe to 2000 AD and the megazine?

Nope, I rely on my newsagent. Although as his delivery schedule seems to now have sneaked over to a Thursday morning delivery I am definitely considering a subscription (not being able to read the review thread for nearly a week is a pain too ;) ).

Why? Do subscribers get the freebies or is this reprinted material we've already read?
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Emperor

Quote from: locustsofdeath on 15 July, 2009, 01:28:45 PM
Well, I convinced her to go to the Comic Con wth me one year, and after pushing our way through the geeky masses for a few hours, we sat down to have a nice lunch with a pair of Klingons and Sailor Moon.

I once turned round to find a Klingon family standing behind me with their two children, one was a Klingon but the other was a zombie - I imagine Ernie (the Undeadest Milkman in the West) had to slwoly, but silently, disappear into the night after that.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Dandontdare

Quote from: Emperor on 15 July, 2009, 06:02:50 PM

Why? Do subscribers get the freebies or is this reprinted material we've already read?

Looks like it - just got my subs renewal reminder last week which stated:

"All subscribers receive any special double cover issues along with any good stuff that the Great Green one dreams up. The good stuff coming up includes a 2000ad sampler giveaway from the San Diego Comic Con and a special badge (only for subscribers of 2000ad AND the Meg)"

Plus I'm due a SECOND free Dredd mug for renewing!

locustsofdeath!

Well, I'm finally getting off my rear and subscribing - so we'll see what the Comic Con exclusive is exactly. That is not the reason for my subscribing however; I received quite a scare this morning when the Progs were placed on the wrong by a daft WHS employee and I thought I missed it!

Bolt-01

Well one thing to remember is that you only get the freebies if you do the annual subscription. If you do the more logical thing and sub on a monthly basis, thereby ensuring Tharg can indulge in plastic cups more than once a year, you will only get the freebies when you initially sub.

The rest of us 'might' get offered the chance to buy (I took advantage of getting the mug last year) the goodies, but we don't get anything more for free, despite giving it monthly to Tharg for over 5 years now.

Bit of a bugbear of mine this...

Dandontdare

Why is a monthly sub "the more logical thing"? In my experience, the norm for subscriptions to any periodical is on an annual basis. It's far easier too - they write to remind me when it's due for renewal, the annual cheque isn't a bank-buster and I can then forget it for 12 whole months!

Bolt-01

The annual cheque may not be a bank buster for many- however I know that if I was presented with a bill for the annual sub (£150 ish??) then I'd have to make arrangements for it. Monthly on the other hand- I have managed since 2002 and not had a problem. I suppose it is purely a matter of personal choice.

And I'm really just being an oul moan- the free gifts are just there to entice you into subbing in the first place.

locustsofdeath!

I'll probably go for the yearly and just be done with it...I have been procrastinating as far as subscribing at all, so for me personally, the monthly wouldn't work out. It would be good for the first month and then I'd "forget" to do it the next...the whole talking on the phone thing. I don't even like to order pizza.

locustsofdeath!

Quote from: Emperor on 15 July, 2009, 06:07:09 PM
Quote from: locustsofdeath on 15 July, 2009, 01:28:45 PM
Well, I convinced her to go to the Comic Con wth me one year, and after pushing our way through the geeky masses for a few hours, we sat down to have a nice lunch with a pair of Klingons and Sailor Moon.

I once turned round to find a Klingon family standing behind me with their two children, one was a Klingon but the other was a zombie - I imagine Ernie (the Undeadest Milkman in the West) had to slwoly, but silently, disappear into the night after that.

Those Klingons were quite good conversation, really. I think Star Trek has given their fictional counterparts a bad name. I'd be upset if I were a Klingon.

Bolt-01

Well, my face was red this morning.

My name is Dave and this week I complained about the monthly subbers not getting any freebies- serves me right for a Grexnix.

Sorry Tharg, I shall endeavour not to doubt your verdant majesty in future.

Robo-K33F

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 18 July, 2009, 08:37:29 PM
Well, my face was red this morning.

My name is Dave and this week I complained about the monthly subbers not getting any freebies- serves me right for a Grexnix.

Sorry Tharg, I shall endeavour not to doubt your verdant majesty in future.

Hello bolt - I'm sure that Tharg doesn't expect an apology.

What do you think of the free comic?  What badge did you get?

locustsofdeath!

Gulp! I'm afraid I was too late in subscribing to get all the great freebees...I signed up Thursday (or was it Wednsday)...damn. Well, here's hoping next week the free comic shows up...!

Trout

Hey, K33F, the wee comic's great! I'm sure they'll hook some new readers - nice emphasis on taster stories, and top-name creators.

I got a mutant badge and would love the chance to buy any others if they're ever offered.

Any chance?

- Trout