Main Menu

Dredd Film Cast list...

Started by Goaty, 12 January, 2011, 01:12:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Testing...

Not loving Flickr, but if it doesn't delete my content at the merest whiff something kiddy-unfriendly, I'll stick with it.

Bah

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

radiator

Clemence Poesey is in 127 Hours as well. She's in that for all of thirty seconds too!

Keef Monkey

Quote from: radiator on 01 February, 2011, 12:11:49 PM
Clemence Poesey is in 127 Hours as well. She's in that for all of thirty seconds too!

Ah thanks! She really is quite striking and very watchable, I'm amazed she isn't all over the place.

radiator

In Bruges is wonderful - one of the best films I've seen in years. Bought it for £3 on a whim a while back and I've watched it three times so far.

DKCX

Lena Headey is now "Ma-Ma" and not "Ma-Ma Dredd" according to IMDB.
Slow news week in all if that's all I can find.  ::)
Checked the Megazine hoping for the rumoured on set picture but nothing there.
Hi Michael, are you enjoying the progs, might take a while to get bedded into the current stories.

Mardroid

Quote from: radiator on 01 February, 2011, 02:06:11 PM
In Bruges is wonderful - one of the best films I've seen in years. Bought it for £3 on a whim a while back and I've watched it three times so far.

And I thought I did well for picking it up for £4.00 a couple of weeks back.

Okay... I did.

FuzzChile99

Can't see Lena as Ma Ma (i've read script she's meant to be fat)I figure she'll be Chief Judge ..(a big star name possibility of sequels makes more sense to me)

JOE SOAP

Quote from: FuzzChile99 on 02 February, 2011, 10:25:12 PM
Can't see Lena as Ma Ma (i've read script she's meant to be fat)I figure she'll be Chief Judge ..(a big star name possibility of sequels makes more sense to me)

Since the script is only a piece of paper and not the actual film -which is what will be the intended/official version of the story made for an audience 99.9% of whom will never read the script- does it matter she's no longer fat?

John Rhys-Davies talks about how when he auditioned for the role of Sallah in Raiders of the Lost Ark, he was concerned since the script originally described Sallah as a "5-foot-2, skinny, Egyptian digger" Does it matter now?

Would it have mattered to the character of Ma-Ma if in the original script she wasn't fat to an audience?

Things always change from script to screen. The screenplay is the plan, it's not the end product.

The film-makers may have realised that a character type Lena can play is better and more convincing for the part than a fat broad, plus they actually got Lena Headey to play the part.

Considering Headey is officially playing Ma-Ma, I don't see how she's Chief Judge now.

FuzzChile99

Then again the script that's floating around the web may well be a red herring ,I kind of visualised Ma Ma kind of like Liz from GTA4 type of character , things change once a film goes into production , but Lena would be a great Hershey or McGruder. 

JOE SOAP

Quote from: FuzzChile99 on 02 February, 2011, 10:46:41 PM
Then again the script that's floating around the web may well be a red herring ,

No, it's the real, genuine reading script.

I think they are more concerned with the success of this film than any sequels at the moment so they're trying to get the best people for the most on-screen relevant characters. [spoiler]The Chief Judge isn't really a character in the new film, she's in the background.[/spoiler]

Getting a good actor to play the part of the main villain is what is most important now not a background character who hardly appears. The stronger the role of the adversary -played by a strong actor- the stronger the conflict will be, resulting in a stronger, better film. Lena Headey fits the bill and I'm sure there'll been many more script changes as the shoot continues and throughout post production too. I would say the character of Ma-Ma has expanded a bit. Making this film as goo as possiible is what will help sequels become a reality.

FuzzChile99

Lets hope that's the case . To tell you the truth I hope we get to see a little more of Mega City than whats suggested in that script (it dosen't have to dominate the story but most of the action happens within a block) so a little more of M.C.1 would be nice .

JOE SOAP

I don't think we need to see much of the city apart from the opening and some exterior shots, it's not imperative to the story- an unenlightened audience won't be too peeved as long as it's a good film and for us a good film that actually has Dredd in it.

Mardroid

Besides, we don't know yet that Ma ma won't be fat! They might stick Lena in some kind of fat suit.* and goodness knows what prosthetics.

But yeah, as long as her acting fits the character personality well it shouldn't matter. It's not as if Ma ma is an established character in the comic, they're inventing her form the ground up.

*I pity her if  that's the case, out in the South African heat!

FuzzChile99

No I honestly think an audience should get a idea of the scale of Mega City perhaps you can  in a opening shot , but after that an audience may forget  once the main story kicks in(The action is mainly interior based  , intentionally perhaps)but  I'm thinking not just about  the film itself , i'm thinking about the game that may come out at same time as movie. An audience which may not be so much into films may need a idea of how huge a Mega City is , I hope a game is coming out with release of movie and that it depicts Mega City in a way readers will recognise, a film lasts around two hours but a decent game(with a decent story) lasts longer which is just as important these day's .

JOE SOAP

Quote from: FuzzChile99 on 03 February, 2011, 01:22:13 AM
No I honestly think an audience should get a idea of the scale of Mega City perhaps you can  in a opening shot , but after that an audience may forget  once the main story kicks in(The action is mainly interior based  , intentionally perhaps)but  I'm thinking not just about  the film itself.

You really don't need to feature the city that much to get a sense of it's size. I think the fact that the city-block has 200 floors is enough to convey the idea, subtly, of millions of humans packed into utilitarian housing blocks, a few wide shots showing many of these blocks collonaded would suffice, crudely you could end with a pull-out to a vast city-scape. I'm not sure it's that important to the story in the middle of the action and I certainly wouldn't want the audience thinking about it when trying to convey the feeling of imprisonment.