Main Menu

HIVEMIND: Finally having a Wii

Started by TordelBack, 15 May, 2011, 10:05:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

So the time has come, we've decided to go for a Wii.

My mother, always disturbingly enthusiastic about new technology (other than microwaves and tumble-driers, which are apparently the work of Satan), has insisted that the family pool its resources and get a Wii for the Boy's 5th birthday.  The fact that she does afterschool babysitting for us four days a week has nothing to do with it, I'm sure.  We're completely stony broke ourlseves, but between grandparents, grand aunts, uncles and aunts, it should be manageable.  Shades of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory here.

My role in this operation as Delta Male is to get the goods.  By Thursday.  And I'm completely ignorant.

So I'm looking for suggestions as to pros and cons of models/versions, most appropriate peripherals, controllers (and how many), starting games etc.  No-one in the family is a current gamer, but my own side is heavily into sport, and grandparents are likely to be pressurised into play as that's where the Holy Thing is most likely to reside.  A 20-month old will probably also want to get involved.  Lego Star Wars is a given.

EDIT:  Just realised I should have posted this in Games.  Good start.

Buddy

If money is tight I'd suggest going for a pre owned one from Game or some such place.
You can get one for about £70 and it comes with a guarantee.

All the Lego games are excellent and again can be picked up pre owned.

JamesC

Not sure of your opinions on video game violence but I'd consider 'Punch Out!'.
It's a remake of the classic cartoony boxing game - it has very simple controls and can be played with either motion sensor or traditional button bash style.
It's very easy to play but hard to master and is the type of game a small child or eldster can have a go at without really knowing what they're doing but still feel like they're having fun.

mogzillazarus

has no one gone for the prostate gags? you dis appoint me board! :P

radiator

Boom Blox is really good, and you should be able to pick it up for pennies.

Wario Ware: Smooth Moves is good fun for all the family.

Buttonman

You should be able to get a Gamecube Dredd Vs Death for buttons on eBay - it's still good fun and the controls are fine. Game cube games work on the Wii but you do have to buy a separate memory card.

If you think the boy would like it I'm happy to donate my Rogue Trooper game - it was good on the PS2 but I found the Wii controls too fiddly. Drop mr a PM if you fancy it with your address.

Mine is almost exclusively used for the Wii Fit which is good fun and keeps tabs on your weight - bit judgemental though!

mogzillazarus

got some for sale on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110687561335&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

pimpytipimp...check out our other items as well! ;)

TordelBack

Many thanks all, some great suggestions there!  Bloom Blox and Punch Out look particularly fine.

Now I'm a little deeper into it, some specific questions:

Am I right in thinking there's just the one version of the console, barring colour/stylings?  HMV are offering a previously loved console (plus one set of controllers) for €80, or €90 with Wii Sports, with a 1-yr guarantee.  This seems like a good deal to me, but is there anything I should be looking out for?  

As to controllers, what's all this 'Motion Plus' gubbins?  An extra 'Motion Plus' controller plus nunchuks looks set to cost me €60, but will it be the same as what comes with the console?  Is there much benefit in getting a 3rd and 4th set (not that I'll be able to afford that this time out).  

And further, what are the options for other peripherals, dance game-stuff and so forth.  Is the Wii Fit actually any good, apart from perving opportunities, which would be few and far between in my parents' house (unless my brother's girlfriend is about, sporty sporty yum yum).

Buttonman: many thanks, but I have Dredd and Rogue on my own much-loved X-Box original, a fine workhorse of a thing.

Mogz:  I am that tempted to buy a GameCube for myself - i've wanted that Rogue Leader game since it first came out.  Waiyt, hang on, it works on the Wii, seriously?!?  What's the But It Now price, I'm there dude.

IndigoPrime

Anecdotal additions:

• A friend of mine with minipeople hugely endorses Wii Sports. MarioKart also goes down well "unless the youngest loses".

• Wii Fit is all very well, but be careful. It resulted in one of my editors quite badly screwing up his back.

radiator

QuoteAm I right in thinking there's just the one version of the console, barring colour/stylings?

Correct.

It's definitely well worth buying a second controller and nunchuck, but it's insanely expensive to shell out for a third and fourth set. However, four player Wii Tennis is an absolute joy - so try to borrow a couple or get your friends to bring their controllers over!

QuoteAs to controllers, what's all this 'Motion Plus' gubbins?

Motion Plus is an add on the standard Wii motion controller (a little block that clips into the bottom), which enhances range and accuracy. Certain games, such as Wii Sports Resort, require a Motion Plus-equipped controller to play.

As I understand it, new Wii consoles come with Motion Plus built in.

TordelBack

Quote from: radiator on 15 May, 2011, 04:30:39 PM
However, four player Wii Tennis is an absolute joy - so try to borrow a couple or get your son's friends to bring their controllers over!

My son's friends, you mean.  It's for my son.  Not me.  No.  Really.  I'm a grown man, I have no interest in swinging lightsabers, racing carts and blowing things up, what do you take me for.  No.  

Many thanks Radiator - so a recent model should have Motion Plus built into the console, but if not the newer controllers will have it built into them, and old controllers will require an add-on?

radiator

Not quite, I think new Wii controllers have Motion Plus built in, if not, then a Motion Plus will come bundled when you buy a new console.

The Motion Plus is by no means essential, but as I say certain games require one to play - here's a list of them:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Wii_MotionPlus_games

TordelBack

WhizzBang

Warioware Smooth moves is a good pick from Radiator.

For your son I recommend Zack and Wiki but he will need to be able to read to play it.

Super Mario Galaxy 1 or 2 will be great for your son and you should give it a try too.

My wife's parents like Wii Sports and the pool game on Wii Play. WiiSports will come free with your Wii and WiiPlay can be found at ridiculously low prices if you look at the second hand stuff.

Super Mario Kart Wii is a great multi player game that is simple enough for anyone to play but has depth if you look for it. It is also the best online game for the Wii and brilliantly judges your skill level when matching opponents with you so you are never outclassed or too good.

Also, take a look at the Wii link in my sig below.

mogzillazarus

Quote from: TordelBack on 15 May, 2011, 04:20:24 PM
- i've wanted that Rogue Leader game since it first came out.  Waiyt, hang on, it works on the Wii, seriously?!? 

you got mail. :P