Main Menu

Last game played...

Started by Keef Monkey, 11 June, 2011, 09:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CalHab

Quote from: von Boom on 27 April, 2021, 02:25:03 PM
Quote from: Link Prime on 27 April, 2021, 09:48:09 AM
Just a couple of hours into Remothered: Tormented Fathers on the Switch, and enjoying it so far.

Maybe not the same aesthetic, but I find myself reminded of horror games of yore like Manhunt and the original Silent Hill.
Have you played I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream game based on the story by Harlan Ellison? Maybe not a horror game per se, but I had many sleepless nights because of it. It's available again on Steam.

I remember an old text adventure. Is that it?

von Boom

Quote from: CalHab on 30 April, 2021, 01:44:56 PM
Quote from: von Boom on 27 April, 2021, 02:25:03 PM
Quote from: Link Prime on 27 April, 2021, 09:48:09 AM
Just a couple of hours into Remothered: Tormented Fathers on the Switch, and enjoying it so far.

Maybe not the same aesthetic, but I find myself reminded of horror games of yore like Manhunt and the original Silent Hill.
Have you played I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream game based on the story by Harlan Ellison? Maybe not a horror game per se, but I had many sleepless nights because of it. It's available again on Steam.

I remember an old text adventure. Is that it?
Point and click, but mostly text, yes.

Professor Bear

Quote from: repoman on 28 April, 2021, 07:03:37 PM
I've bailed on The Last of Us 2.

It is dripping with quality and clearly very good but there are a few things that I just can't be bothered with.

I don't much care about Ellie.  I think I related more to playing as Joel in the first game.

I don't much care about the bad guys.  Some random group that Joel pissed off some time in the past?  It reminds me of s5 of Breaking Bad in that he'd fought the local drug kingpins and then the cartel but s5 was about some random group of meth heads. 

There's way too much story/talking.  It's at Metal Gear Solid levels.  It's not like any of it is interesting.

Ellie is going to confront a whole gang by herself?  And then a girl tags along because they had an awkward kiss?  She's going to travel to Seattle in the snow wearing jeans?

I found the controls a bit sluggish and weirdly I couldn't figure out if I wanted to invert Y because everything felt a bit 'off'.

Main one though is that I'm a bit done with games that have me scutting around abandoned supermarkets looking for bandages or some shit.  Fallout 3 turned me off to that sort of thing and I've never enjoyed it since.

Honestly, take the best four or five hours and make an amazing game.  35 hours of this stuff?  Life's too long to fill it with stuff like this.

Haven't played it in a while, but all the shortcomings you raise are actually addressed in the game story (even the "scutting about" - just as it was in Fallout 3 - is part of the thematic narrative), and while some of the answers you find elusive are admittedly obtuse by design, others are starkly obvious, like Ellie and Dina's relationship: you spend the opening chapter of the game with the characters as they travel from one point to another occasionally flirting and/or checking out romantic vistas while the usually tight-lipped and guarded Ellie opens up about her feelings, before the pair finally get high and lez up.  I mean, if you're still wondering if they're close at that stage, I don't know what else to tell you.  Likewise the "random group Joel pissed off" is a continent-wide paramilitary organisation that scapegoats Joel for their decline, and even at their rock bottom is holding Seattle with a massive military force that fetishises strength.  It's all in there, someplace or other.
As for the gameplay, I highly recommend checking out the "accessibility" options, as far from simply making the game playable for people with visual, aural or motor impairment, the various tweaks can be used to sidestep elements of the gameplay you find frustrating or problematic - I know of at least one player in his 70s who found the colour blind and easy sneaking modes invaluable, and because of them, this remains the only videogame he can recall ever finishing.

Subnautica - worth what I paid for it (it's freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee), as I went platinum a couple weeks ago and yet I'm still pissing about.  The large sandbox hoodwinks you into thinking you aren't playing a linear narrative, but this is cunning game design that happily sidesteps the usual boredom-inducing pitfalls I associate with backtracking to previously-visited areas.
Fun while it lasted, and I suspect they may have successfully suckered me into shelling out for the (not free) sequel.
Pointless observation: the amount of times the "seek fluid intake" warning went off, it's clear to me that that the main character is pissing in that wetsuit.  The dirty freak.

Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap - fun and largely-overlooked addition to the franchise that plays great on a PSP loaded with homebrew emulators.  I do actually have it on GBA cart, but my old man eyes are sadly no longer up to using that console anymore, meaning I had to upgrade to the larger handheld and unashamed piracy to get my fix of androgynous elf puzzle-solving and wanton genocide of all shrubbery in the hope of finding loose change.  The weapon/tool-switching feels a bit clunky these days, but this is still solid game design, and a contemporary release wouldn't see it out of place alongside the output of retro-gaming publishers like Ratalaika.

Sean SD

Lego Batman 2 on PS3.

Last time played was in 2014!!

Now I'm on a mission to get those damn trophies lol

milstar

ToCA Race Driver 3

I managed to finish RD3 after a months-long pause and being occupied with other games in meantime. I've been a ToCA fan since WTCC came to Playstation exclusively.
RD3 is in IMO the best ToCA game and sadly the last really good one before Codemasters decided to suck their own bollocks with arcade-styled Grid. If there is anything that I disliked about RD3 (of which there are very few and the game still feels fresh) that would be gruesome, gruesome difficulty. Which is perfectly reflected in the last tier of the world mode. I would dare to say, even impossibly hard. I mean, every ToCA game has been tough. But this one, I think my chances are better with Richard Burns Rally (which btw, I never played). Having to drive William's formula from the 90s is pure torture with the lousy steering, sliding at every curve, and technical inferiority compared to the (newer) Williams bolide. Thankfully, there was someone who obviously shared my frustrations. Hacking the championship and bypassing the need to use the designated formula with the aforementioned Williams BMW formula improved the odds on my side vastly. So much I've won every race, but compared to blood and sweat I had to endure previously, which was nothing short of a cheat, I say so what?

Barrow Hill

Or Barrow Hill Curse of the Ancient Circle as is the full title. Your car broke down in the middle of nowhere. An archeological team has gone missing. A nearby gas station is occupied by a supervisor, who is no help to you; instead, all you get from him is random mumbling about "they have been awoken". Eerie growling coming from the only phone in the area and surrounding. And all around are documents on the local ancient legends that people used to frighten during bedtime. Which btw, may not be just legends stories at all.
This, in short, is the brief plot of this low-budget, indie horror point n click adventure. It grabbed my attention as I read somewhere labeling this as "true British adventure" and I can see some wisdom in that statement. And being an indie title, while flawed, came to be surprisingly good. Okay, the introductory black n white sequence is horrible. The gameplay is pretty much dated, even for the time of the release (all you need is a simple mouse cursor that works). Voice acting is atrocious; actually, I would say it's so bad it's good. And there are no options for graphical setup, so I am forced to look at the square in the middle on my widescreen monitor. However, all these are basically meaningless points. My only disappointment is that game gives you almost total non-linearity. While you can basically go anywhere and collect clues at your own pace; I feel the difficulty is greatly enhanced by not having clear objectives on what to do, apart to solve this mystery. Furthermore, there are a lot of documents in the game that, while not all, but few are vital for your progression, so unless you have a really good memory, backtracking and picking up these files again is necessary (it'd be nice if you could pick documents that matters which would leave you solving puzzles on ease). Apart from this, as I said, the game is surprisingly good. Graphics are definitely top grade but are photo-realistic enough. And there is a prevalent sense of authenticism and realism in details around you that truly immerse you in the game. Sound effects and music are nothing short of creepy and there is nothing more shuddering than walking through dense forest at night, with only the flashlight in your hand.

Saying all this,  I swore to visit this part of Cornwall one day. Hopefully, during broad daylight.

Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

Recrewt

Like another poster, I ditched Last of Us 2 after a few hours play.  It wasn't so much the shock death of a beloved character as the painfully slow start to the game which seemed to involve lots of lengthy cut scenes, guitar playing, running in snow and then trying to get into Seattle and initially finding nothing much!  I'll go back to it at some time but it just stopped being fun and started to feel like a chore.

Inspired by some youtube walkthroughs I have been playing Dark Souls on the PS3.  This is a game that I'd rage-quitted some years ago and finally decided to go back too.  After getting some pointers from youtube, its a lot more fun and I'm able to appreciate what a fantastic game it is.  Its supposed to be notoriously difficult but a large part of that relates to the non-existent help that the game gives you.  Hardly anything is explained but once you get used to it, most enemies are dispatched with a block and a side-step.

milstar

Barrow Hill The Dark Path

The sequel to Barrow Hill, released 10 years prior. And the game takes 10 years after the first game. No surprises here. Another horror point n click adventure, continuing the tradition of the previous game in terms of gameplay and style. Another (divine) being from Celtic legends has been awoken seeking revenge and again you are on all wits trying to find every object you can and solve various sundry puzzles in order to appease the entity. As said, gameplay is practically unchanged, mouse cursor click returns and you have near total freedom to explore  (which, like in the previous game, made the game unnecessarily difficult). Creepy sound effects and music. To pick a better game between two is incredibly difficult task akin to picking up better artist between Colin MacNeil and Simon Bisley.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

zombemybabynow

Resident evil village

and it's too scary for me to continue !!
Good manners & bad breath get you nowhere

NapalmKev

Quote from: zombemybabynow on 24 May, 2021, 01:25:04 PM

Resident evil village

I'm currently on my third play through and I love it!

For those who haven't played - This game builds on the story that started in Resi 7 but also packs in a lot more enemies than the previous game.  There's a varied selection of puzzles as well, some of which are actually fun. 

All of that aside the crowning achievement in this game are the moments of genuine horror. I even let slip a loud Fucking Hell in one particular section.

Stunning game, I highly recommend!

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

pictsy

I dipped into Risk of Rain on the weekend for funsies.  And funsies it was.  Although probably a better time is had playing with other people.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Currently playing Miles Morales on the PS5.

The game is... Amazing.

The graphics are... Spectacular.

Especially the ray tracing which is... Astonishing.

Compared to the PS4 version it's vastly... Superior.

But it's not as good as Arkham Night, which as far as superhero video games go is the... Ultimate.
Lock up your spoons!

milstar

I think my post might be controversial, but when you mentioned RE Village, to me, that game is an example of how fandom can get ahead of themselves. Some people rushed to worship Lady Dimitrescu, whose design is nothing that stands out, apart from being heghty, when her presence in the game is some 20-30 minutes.

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 24 May, 2021, 07:04:17 PM

But it's not as good as Arkham Night, which as far as superhero video games go is the... Ultimate.

I appreciate your sentiment, Doc, over Donnie Darko, but here i must thoroughly disagree.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: milstar on 24 May, 2021, 07:55:26 PM

I appreciate your sentiment, Doc, over Donnie Darko, but here i must thoroughly disagree.

So what's your shout for the best superhero game?
Lock up your spoons!

milstar

I'd have to go with Batman Arkham, but Asylum. I find it the least pretentious in the series. Tbh, there are not many superhero games out there, so that may work a bit in the Knight's favor.

Link Prime

Quote from: milstar on 24 May, 2021, 10:30:58 PM
I'd have to go with Batman Arkham, but Asylum. I find it the least pretentious in the series. Tbh, there are not many superhero games out there, so that may work a bit in the Knight's favor.

The core Arkham games are still the gold standard.
The first set the tone, the second arguably the best and the third a satisfying conclusion (including a personal top ten gaming moment - driving the defeated and indignant Riddler to the GCPD lock-up).