Main Menu

Star Wars Squadrons

Started by wedgeski, 04 October, 2020, 06:33:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wedgeski

I've been playing this all weekend on PC VR. Wobbly legs aside, it's one of the best gaming experiences I've had in years. Anyone who fondly remembers Lucasarts X-Wing/Tie Fighter/X-Wing Alliance will get a huge buzz out of this game, which is essentially a belt-and-braces remaster of the old classics with much better graphics and audio.

Sure, the characters are slightly less interesting, and sure, the whole thing is more gung-ho expanded universe than it is classic Skywalker Saga, but do not be put off. She's got it where it counts, kid.

broodblik

I am also enjoying it. It has the feeling of those  classics from Lucasarts.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

TordelBack

I've spent much of the weekend playing Skyrim VR on PS4, and it's done absolute wonders for the diet: spent most of today pondering downing some Dramamine. I dread to think what Squadrons in VR would do to me!

Game looks bloody marvelous though, if I could dislodge the Boy from Rust marathons I'd be all over it on the PC.

shaolin_monkey

Whoops, sorry - didn't see this thread, and I've waxed lyrical about it in the 'what game are you playing' thread.

QuoteDo we have a thread for PSVR games? Couldn't see one.

Anyway, Star Wars Squadrons - fun story mode, decent multiplayer, though it could use another couple of game modes and maps.

But my god, the VR is just AMAZING! I was really concerned it would make me motion sick, but no, it works brilliantly. It is so great to be sat in the cockpit of an XWing or TIE Fighter, and to be able to look around at controls you know so well from the films, and to be able to see 360 out of the cockpit windows - even lean over left and right to get a better view of the space combat!

The story mode has a such a great series of scenarios and settings, such as asteroid fields, Kessel Run style dangers, abandoned shipyards, all with a wide variety of ships and space stations. These look great on a decent TV but are utterly spectacular in 3D, once you've forgiven the usual PSVR shortcomings, such as the definition.

Fleet Battle is the key MP mode, which are sited in three areas, each providing different challenges re navigating about them. Facing a Star Destroyer is as epic as it sounds! It would really benefit from five people who know each other working as a squadron, each with a different class of ship, and each ship set up with particular custom equipment depending on play style. I personally favour a support ship that plants homing mines and autoturrets, 'cos I'm an old man whose twitch reflex is long gone. I can't shoot for shit.

So there's lots to see and do, it is spectacular in VR, and it is also just a hell of a lot of fun!

Anyone else playing it in PSVR?

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: TordelBack on 04 October, 2020, 11:09:59 PM
I've spent much of the weekend playing Skyrim VR on PS4, and it's done absolute wonders for the diet: spent most of today pondering downing some Dramamine. I dread to think what Squadrons in VR would do to me!

Game looks bloody marvelous though, if I could dislodge the Boy from Rust marathons I'd be all over it on the PC.

Sitting down games tend to fare better, TBH. Your body is accustomed to moving at velocity in a sitting position but without exertion.
Lock up your spoons!

wedgeski

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 05 October, 2020, 05:55:16 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 04 October, 2020, 11:09:59 PM

Sitting down games tend to fare better, TBH. Your body is accustomed to moving at velocity in a sitting position but without exertion.
All too true. I came out of lengthy sessions of Half-Life: Alyx with shaky legs and next morning often felt like I'd been out for a long run the day before. VR messes with your head.

shaolin_monkey

wedgeski

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 07 October, 2020, 12:10:51 AM
Quote from: wedgeski on 06 October, 2020, 09:08:09 AM
VR messes with your head.

Isn't it great?  :D
Dunno, two hours of multiplayer dogfighting last night and I felt seriously squiffy! Think I'll reserve the VR for the single player mode, where you get intermittent breaks in the action at least.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: wedgeski on 07 October, 2020, 02:04:39 PM
Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 07 October, 2020, 12:10:51 AM
Quote from: wedgeski on 06 October, 2020, 09:08:09 AM
VR messes with your head.

Isn't it great?  :D
Dunno, two hours of multiplayer dogfighting last night and I felt seriously squiffy! Think I'll reserve the VR for the single player mode, where you get intermittent breaks in the action at least.

One dogfight lasted two hours? Blimey! You need to work on your marksmanship skills mate! :D

Seriously though, I get what you mean. There were times when my ship was spinning and I was looking up and down and all around trying to pin down a TIE, and I started to feel a bit BLEEURGH. I find keeping head movements smooth helps, and especially not jerking it around when involved in spinning avoidance manoeuvres!

I play mostly Fleet Battle mode anyway. I love the push and pull of it, the tactics, utilising different ships for different situations and so on. Plus, have you played it with a couple of mates on your team?! Bloody brilliant! Watching out for each other, discussing tactics on the fly, and the camaraderie of a solid win - excellent gaming!