Main Menu

Sinister Dexter puns

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 10 October, 2020, 01:13:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

I've just this minute discovered that what I thought Demi Octavo meant (a type of musical symbol) was completely wrong. Demy Octavo is a paper size used in the printing industry, it seems,but sheet music often uses this size.

Don't think Billi Octavo means anything but I'm preparing myself to be schooled by someone intelligenter.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Colin YNWA

I always assumed it was just she was Demi's sister so there was no specific gag there... I await nervous correction...

Bolt-01

I always chuckle at the thought of:

"Inner Waldorf Hire and Dice!"

Funt Solo

The "laurel, and hearty handshake" gag from Blazing Saddles makes me laugh over and over again - sometimes when I'm just walking down the street. I don't know why it tickles me so much.

They thought it was so good, they told it twice.

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Southstreeter

Floppy Dick was an early associate of SinDex. For younger readers (are there any?) that references floppy discs, a data storage device.

Dark Jimbo

There was once a German fella called Max Schnell, which made me cackle.

An honourable mention for the carpet warehouse called Ariba, Ariba, Underlay!
@jamesfeistdraws

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Southstreeter on 12 October, 2020, 04:06:28 PM
Floppy Dick was an early associate of SinDex. For younger readers (are there any?) that references floppy discs, a data storage device.

Feck, I never even copped that.  I always assumed it was a c[spoiler]  [/spoiler]k joke.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Funt Solo

Lots of dodgy nomenclature inside yer average computer: floppy drive, hard drive, RAM etc. They all get plugged into the motherboard. Oedipus alert!

You probably all know that 8 bits makes a byte (and that 1024 bytes makes a kilobyte). Less well known is that 4 bits makes a nibble. True.

The early story titles had some good ones:

- Death & Taxis
- Wish Upon a Czar

And some favorites:

- The Man in the Ion Mask
- Fear and Clothing
- Sumo Chanted Evening
- Glock Around the Clock
- House of Whacks
- Dunce Macabre

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Funt Solo on 12 October, 2020, 10:29:14 PM
Lots of dodgy nomenclature inside yer average computer: floppy drive, hard drive, RAM etc. They all get plugged into the motherboard. Oedipus alert!

You probably all know that 8 bits makes a byte (and that 1024 bytes makes a kilobyte). Less well known is that 4 bits makes a nibble. True.

Being from the 48k Spectrum generation, I did indeed know that...  it was called a 'nybble' in my programming book though.

QuoteSumo Chanted Evening

I don't remember that one, but that's a belter of a name.

sixmo

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 10 October, 2020, 01:13:46 PM
My favourite of all, the Hot Pot and News on the Square.  Genius!

Well, I've just spent too much time saying this out loud and I think I've arrived at "Square on the Hypotenuse"? I'm beginning to think I have not picked up every reference in Sin Dex down the years!

I did enjoy The Um Louts. Wendy Go too (a wendigo is a Native American mythical beastie).

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: sixmo on 14 October, 2020, 03:34:44 PM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 10 October, 2020, 01:13:46 PM
My favourite of all, the Hot Pot and News on the Square.  Genius!

Well, I've just spent too much time saying this out loud and I think I've arrived at "Square on the Hypotenuse"?

That's the one.  I got Wendy Go too, having spent a lot of my childhood reading monster books.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 12 October, 2020, 09:52:26 AM

nope, still not getting this one

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Dandontdare on 14 October, 2020, 11:46:27 PM
Quote from: Bolt-01 on 12 October, 2020, 09:52:26 AM

nope, still not getting this one

It's one of the few that's actually explained in the strip.  They're watching a trailer for a biopic of their lives that opens with the words 'In a world of fire and ice'.  The title of the strip is how Dexter mishears them.

Dandontdare