Main Menu

Prog 2205: Hanging By Thread!

Started by Barrington Boots, 26 October, 2020, 11:11:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrington Boots

Saturday Prog for me! Joyous.

Dredd - after a good start last week everything wraps up quickly in a trite and uninteresting fashion. Lovely art from Dan Cornwell, otherwise didn't enjoy this at all. Sorry. Also Dredd himself is totally useless in this story.

Stickleback - Mainly a talky setup episode. Looks great at ever. Having re-read all the previous story I'm really into this again now.

Skip Tracer - Still think this is the best Skip Tracer outing yet and I think the pacing is key here. It's starting to feel more like an old school thrill to me.

Fiends - Gets better every week. Best thing in the Prog atm for me, both for art and writing. I like the guy questioning the existence of [spoiler]trolls[/spoiler] and dragons and talking wolves yet happily accepting vampires. More and more I am doubting the veracity of the narrator but this is terrific.

Hookjaw - Suitably gory but not sure how I feel about the reveal in this episode. Reserving judgement.

Great cover by Dylan Teague.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

The Monarch

y'know i was joking about [spoiler]sharko[/spoiler] weeks ago....

broodblik

The cover by Patrick Goddard and Dylan Teague:

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Richard

QuoteMore and more I am doubting the veracity of the narrator

Maybe [spoiler]the narrator will turn out to be Constanta, like Kevin Spacey in The Usual Suspects.[/spoiler]

ianlineham@yahoo.com

So, some thoughts and some responses to the OP

Dredd - feels like there are  few "interlude" stories - enjoyed this, and think Dredd being useless is increasingly the point?

Stickleback - like the art but when the story [spoiler]refers to events more than ten years in the  past [/spoiler](I haven't recently read it all) its a bit of a stretch

Skip Tracer - again like the art but struggling to get a handle on the character over the various stories, each story feels too disconnected from the last - did enjoy them springing the manga makeover on all the people wondering about the art last week though

Fiends - feels like it could be from the Mignola Hellboy universe - but that's a good thing

Hookjaw - interesting concept, glad they [spoiler]took out the idiot who was "controlling" the spirit or whatever it is[/spoiler]

Colin YNWA

Fine Prog

Dredd ends really well, well except for another needless almost cameo. Art work lovely as ever.

Stickleback puts its pieces in place in quite exquisite fashion. Art work lovely as ever

Skip Tracer another solidly entertaining episode without the question marks as to why its not working, cos here it does. Art work lovely as ever.

Fiends is so perfectly crafted. It feels like a myth and yep the art work is lovely as ever.

Hookjaw plays its cards wonderfully and really pushes its mysteries aside to reveal the horror beneath. Art work is of course... well suitably horrific actually.

And we have a break... now... whyyyyy...

broodblik

A good prog. We will taking a break as most stories ends on a highlight - good to build up the anticipation and expectations.

Dredd - A good little epilogue to the vents in End of Days. Dredd is taking a backseat here as he is just in it for the ride. So certain elements of EOD are displayed in the last panels so we will get more of them in future Dredd.

Stickelback – This episode is a setup for the final battle to commence all the party members are assembled. Do not forget great art as always

Skip Tracer – The story is now in full swing and the truth off who is who are slowly beginning revealed. Although we might have to wait after the break to get the full picture.

Fiends – The fantasy elements feature heavy in this arc. So far, we had talking wolves, fairies, dragons [spoiler]and now trolls[/spoiler]. This has been a great read with some great imagery to boot.  Still I do not trust that priest.

Hook Jaw – The story is now in its full gory swing. [spoiler]The shark looks more like a twisted being half-human half-shark. How do they control the "shark" is the key[/spoiler].

broodblik

[spoiler]In the Nerve Centre it is mentioned for the next regen prog we will see the return of character which has not been seen since 1983.

My guesstimate is Abelard Snazz but with a lesser probability being Harry Twenty.
[/spoiler]

Timothy

Timothy

I notice that the Christmas Prog is now on the 2000ad app. I assume this is a mistake.. I have not downloaded it as I am a tightwad who doesn't want to pay for a comic that I hope will be included in my subscription when the proper time comes. It's there for £3.99 at the moment though.

broodblik

broodblik

Quote from: Timothy on 28 October, 2020, 08:16:51 AM
[spoiler]Or Dan Dare?[/spoiler]

That I believe will not happen since we all know whom own the rights to the character

TordelBack

Very happy with the prog at the moment.

Dredd was fun, Black Plague and the Daily Dredd Henry Ford story are two of my absolute favourite classic Dredds, so I'm definitely the target audience for this bit of light nostalgia.  I foresee a dimension-hopping spin-off story,  but hopefully it doesn't rain on McConville's Department K parade.

Slight pause for some lampshading of Sherlockback's completely villainous behaviour in the first series, and then more beautiful light-filled designs before we return to pretty much where we were at the end of the last series. I love this, but it probably needs to get a move on now.

Skip Tracer continues to be a solid SF adventure, and I'm absolutely loving Teague's colours. Blending the straightforward India storyline with the fate of the Underneath makes for an engaging story, hope it can sustain the current pace.

Fiends is another artistic triumph, but in one way I wish this was about a new character, and not Constanta: it's just too good a story. It's great stuff though, I can easily see TT being stolen away for the next reboot of Conan.

Finally, Hookjaw continues to be the most (only?) pleasant surprise of 2020. I was dreading the big reveal, fearing it could only be a letdown, but it was arsom.

Despite enjoying everything in the current lineup  I'm still unreasonably excited to see what next week's Regened brings.

TordelBack

Addendum: Genuine kudos to Goddard and Teague for a non-sexualised Anderson on the cover,  despite the BDSM opportunities.