Main Menu

Prog 2205: Hanging By Thread!

Started by Barrington Boots, 26 October, 2020, 11:11:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

Quote from: TordelBack on 28 October, 2020, 12:52:44 PM
Fiends is another artistic triumph, but in one way I wish this was about a new character, and not Constanta: it's just too good a story. It's great stuff though, I can easily see TT being stolen away for the next reboot of Conan.

I am same line but closer to home, I can TT doing Slaine or even some Aquila. His style on Fiends is something to behold
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Barrington Boots

... that nervous feeling when you're a new poster, say you didn't like this weeks Dredd and everyone else loved it...
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 28 October, 2020, 02:27:44 PM
... that nervous feeling when you're a new poster, say you didn't like this weeks Dredd and everyone else loved it...

We've burnt folks for less. I mean don't get me wrong we've moved on from that all now and the dunking a witch had to stop for folks who like nuBad Company (which was obviously a relief to me as I loved it) but generally I think if you can't accept different options about what srips you do or don't like 2000ad fandom isn't for you.

We've such a board church...

...mind say you don't like Henry Flint and we will track you down... oh we will...

Barrington Boots

Wait till I start a thread on how much I liked Dry Run.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

JimmyNailz

Fear not, Bazza Boots, I'm in the same boat! I didn't HATE this week's Dredd but didn't expect it to all be over so quickly. And Dredd's big moment of the week is [spoiler]shooting a lame horse[/spoiler]. I look forward to asking you all "who that lad with the big head is and why's he got a talking horse?" in around 100 progs time.

Great Wolf-Dredd pin-up! ARRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOO

Stickleback - still barely hanging on to what's what but do like a many-angled Ancient One, Lovecraftianesque threat. Maybe Zenith can make a cameo?

Skip Tracer - Really good fun again. Fun action and well paced storytelling Skip Skip! Hooray!

Fiends Of The Eastern Front - Maintains it's thrill of the week the status in the this currect run. Again, really well paced in how it's story is unfolding and amazing art to drool over.

Hookjaw - I'm enjoying following it in the same way I "enjoy" following an unfolding news story in the papers. Eager to see whats going to happen next but not taking a great deal of pleasure in finding out.  Lovely head crunch though!

Overall, there was no threat of my thrill circuits overloading this week, but I wasn't displeased. Now, can Regened keep up the quality of it's last outing? Find out next prog!

norton canes

Wait a drokking minute, what are those figures in the background of page two of Stickleback? They're only Ice Warriors, or I'm a Martian's uncle! (Are they in a museum? I forget)

Gorgeous touch of the week in Tiernan Trevallian's Fiends art: the little ding! star where the mercenary knocks the sword from Constanta's hand

Can we have the next instalment of Hookjaw in the Regened prog? Aw can we, Joko Pogo Bogo or whatever your name is, can we please?

Leigh S

I'm with you Barrington....

The bizarre inclusion of relative of old character who promptly [spoiler]pegs it[/spoiler]? It felt like a child playing with the most obscure Dredd action figures they could find in that random way children construct stories....

judgeurko

Amother rather dull prog & with another of those regen progs next week time for me to take a break from 2000AD

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

norton canes

Oh yeah, forgot to mention how fantastic the cover was.

JayzusB.Christ

Dredd - it's fine; I was glad it was lots of small spiders rather than a giant one, I just don't really get into the 'Dredd-versus-giant-scary-monster' strips these days.  I'm getting old, I know, but I'll take grim-and-gritty reality with a few sci-fi elements over all-out fantasy in my Dredd any day.  I'm not quite on board with Rob's characterisation of Dredd yet - all the 'drokkin's' and 'ain'ts' and being unnecessarily rude to other judges just brings back memories of Ennis's early Dredds a bit too much.

Hookjaw - the reveal is fairly horrible, and I'm glad it isn't [spoiler]a shark spliced with that fecking polar bear[/spoiler].  All the working class, everyday folks mixed with the horror and violence brings Cradlegrave to mind, or, indeed, Action.

Fiends is good stuff, as is Stickleback, where the art is just incredible.  I just couldn't get into Skip Tracer in the first series, and I'm afraid I, well, skip Skip every time now.

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

wedgeski

I always enjoy a short, funny, action-packed Dredd and this was all three.

Skip Tracer is still a miss for me, but you can't win them all. I greatly enjoyed the rest of the prog!

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

After The Out finished, I did think that perhaps the prog would slip back to being "hit and miss" as it often is when something sensational isn't running.

So, I've been glad to read the prog every week and bask in the glory of this rebooted Hook Jaw- a strip so absolutely and mind-blowingly fantastic, it's in serious competition for my highlight of the year... and yes, obviously The Out will win that unless Slaine comes back with an enormous bang. But to be six weeks in an it only just coming together so wonderfully is a type of storytelling 2000AD hasn't done in too long. That reveal of the creature this week caused an enormous grin to spontaneously erupt upon my face, and I am already resenting Regened next week more than usual. That will end when I read next week's, because I usually enjoy them very much, but today... no, I want more Hook Jaw.

Fiends and Stickleback are both very good- though I'm struggling with Disraeli's style on this one a bit. It's a complicated story made just that little bit more unclear by the rendering.

Skippy has picked up immensely, and is sitting firmly as "a mid-range prog strip".

This week's Dredd was ludicrous. And the death of the magic second horse who seemed to exist solely to get Henry Ford free, was just an offense against storytelling.

SBT

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: norton canes on 28 October, 2020, 06:57:10 PM

Can we have the next instalment of Hookjaw in the Regened prog? Aw can we, Joko Pogo Bogo or whatever your name is, can we please?

The mad thing is, the original Hookjaw was no less gruesome and aimed at the same age-group the Regened prog is.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"