Main Menu

Not sure where to post this, but...

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 16 December, 2020, 12:53:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

Just an interesting little prog-related story.  I went to get my laptop fixed yesterday - the twins in the shop got it working in seconds, and the screen was showing a page from Deadworld that I hadn't closed down (could have been way worse, it being my laptop, and, well, anyway).

The brother who was looking at it asked me if I read 2000ad.  Then he showed me photos of his living room, which was covered with framed, original pages from the Horned God; and the other twin had as many in his own house. 

He then showed me Bisley's name in the contact list in his phone - they'd become friendly with him through their fandom, had been out for pints with him a few times, and still kept in touch.  They'd got into the prog through Bisley's art on Sláine, and had got very much involved - as teenagers, they'd also ended up in the pub with Grant Morrison, Mark Millar and Rian Hughes (and yeah, Grant was a bit up himself in those days).

Great to meet fellow squaxxes by accident.  In fact, one of you boarders may be one of them - if so, now you know who I am, and thanks for fixing my laptop :)
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

TordelBack

You didn't happen to get an address,  what times they're at work,  alarm code etc...? No particular reason.

JayzusB.Christ

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

sheridan

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 16 December, 2020, 12:53:15 PM
Just an interesting little prog-related story.  I went to get my laptop fixed yesterday - the twins in the shop got it working in seconds, and the screen was showing a page from Deadworld that I hadn't closed down (could have been way worse, it being my laptop, and, well, anyway).

"get laptop fixed",  "twins", "the screen was showing" - yep - that could have gone in a completely different direction ;)

AlexF

I've had a couple of occasions when I've provoked an exicted "oooh, I remember that!" from people in the outside world when I'm wearing a 2000AD T-shirt. Especially the Prog 1 cover T-shirt for some reason. I mean, it's kind of a lousy cover but clearly had and still has cultural resonance.

And now that I know for sure people DO register what;'s on a T-shirt, I've been a little wary of waring my Torquemada 'Death to Deviants' number in case it draws oohs of approval from the wrong crowd...

shaolin_monkey

Aye, 2900AD and Dredd tees are great social currency.

For a few years after the release of 'Dredd' my LastExit Justice Department tee provoked conversations about how great the film was from randoms in shops, pubs, restaurants etc etc.

Dandontdare

Someone once shouted NEMESIS! at me from across the road when they saw my tee shirt

Rately

Fantastic stuff!

Those Horned God pages must be worth a fortune.

wedgeski

Dammit I have *never* had a 2000AD reference picked up by a rando squaxx!

Rogue Judge

That is a cool encounter! I run into the odd Dredd fan but nobody who knows anything else about 2000ad. What a glorious day it would be to geek out about Strontium Dog or Rogue Trooper with a stranger.

JayzusB.Christ

I remember years and years ago I was on a bus and had just finished my prog.  I heard a cautious-sounding North Dublin voice behind me go, 'D'yeh moind if Oi have a read of yer Two Tewsand AD?'  It's a long time ago and I don't remember the details, but I remember a nice long squaxx-to-squaxx chat resulted from that too.

Colin YNWA

That's a great story. The caretaker at my kids school copped me in some 2000ad garb or other a few years ago now and revealed he was a Squaxx dek Thargo and a fan of other comics. I now regularly stop and chat when I see him about all things nerd.

Link Prime

Great post Jayzus.

I have a fair idea who the brothers are based on their Comic Art Fans gallery.

Mardroid

Some years ago, I went to a Starbucks with a female friend and I was wearing the movie Dredd baseball cap. The guy who served me remarked on the cap. Turns out he is a member of a cosplay group and in the process of making his own Judge uniform. Instead of taking our names he wrote 'Dredd' on my disposable cup and 'Anderson' on my friend's .