Main Menu

Prog 2223 - The Root Of All Evil

Started by Goosegash, 14 March, 2021, 12:21:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

It is not that I am not interested in different writers take on a character in most cases it just do not work. If you look at something like Hook-Jaw it actually worked. The only thing taken from the original was the shark with hook in its jaw but in reality it was a completely new strip (and stealing the title).
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

IndigoPrime

2000 AD is quite rare in having few 'house' strips. Although Mills naturally talks of Dredd being one of his, that's not really been the case since the very early days. It's a shared universe, primarily driven by John Wagner for many years, but nonetheless something various people get to write. See also: Anderson and Rogue Trooper.

Elsewhere, though, 2000 AD has taken an approach closer in nature to something like Image rather than Marvel, enabling creators to continue with their strips and for others to not get a look in. And, yes, I'd also say that when that 'rule' has been broken, the results often don't work: the Skizz sequels; the twitching zombie that was Millar's Robo-Hunter; Ulysses Sweet.

But there are some strips that do survive that transition, although I'm well aware some of those have proved divisive—notably John Smith's strips. But I much prefer this Durham Red to previous incarnations, have found the Deadworld/Dark Judges stuff pretty good (although perhaps they are now house characters), and rather wish Hogan/Hughes had continued with Robo-Hunter.

broodblik

Durham Red went trough a few incarnations but the latest one is the first time I can say it works for me - Worley stop treating her like she is a "babe" that's also a bounty hunter.

I was never keen on any other than TB Grover's Robo-Hunter.

Flesh the first run was  semi-fine but everything afterwards (even Mills stuff) never worked for me.

Ulysses Sweet was not great the first round and was not great the last round. Everything about the character was just not likeable.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

The Corinthian

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 22 March, 2021, 11:54:41 AM
And, yes, I'd also say that when that 'rule' has been broken, the results often don't work: the Skizz sequels; the twitching zombie that was Millar's Robo-Hunter; Ulysses Sweet.

Technically, the Skizz sequels don't break that rule because they were by one of the original's creators.

IndigoPrime

I dunno. I don't think we'd necessarily be thrilled with Steve Yeowell scripting Zenith, Simon Fraser on Nikolai Dante, or Paul Marshall writing a sequel to Firekind. So although I have a lot of time for Jim Baike on art duties, his iffy Skizz doesn't get a pass from me.

broodblik

Skizz was great the sequels also a no pass from me (the artwork was as with all Baikie's work great)

Magnetica

Just to clarify something on my post - I'm not interested in reading someone else's Slaine either. What saddens me is the character (potentially) being killed off in a way that is not consistent with the story and is done for other reasons.

Other writers taking on characters is a strange one, I think. I generally don't like it in comics, but have no issue with other artists drawing them. And other writers taking things on happens all the time in TV and film and yet people still watch those films or shows and consider them to still be canon. For example the different Star Trek shows where written by different people and certainly not all by Gene Roddenberry, the recent Star Wars films weren't written by George Lucas. Dr who has had many different writers (but I don't like it where new writers retcon continuity that has been established years earlier).

IndigoPrime

I don't mind it in comics—for me, it's all down to whether or not the end result is any good and, ideally, whether the original creator is OK with it. As for Mills, it remains to be seen how Sláine ends, but if he just gets a Gáe Bolga up the bum out of the blue to stop anyone else playing with Mills's toys, that's not going to be good. Whatever else I think about this particular run, it's clearly the beginning of a new chapter and not designed to be the end of the entire run.

broodblik

Quote from: Magnetica on 22 March, 2021, 01:33:33 PM
Just to clarify something on my post - I'm not interested in reading someone else's Slaine either. What saddens me is the character (potentially) being killed off in a way that is not consistent with the story and is done for other reasons.

Maybe that is why we have the delay since Pat would rather kill off his character than allowing it to maybe one-day written by someone else. But even this in comics are not a sure thing how many times has characters been killed off and "miraculously" returned from the dead.

The Corinthian

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 22 March, 2021, 01:19:20 PM
I dunno. I don't think we'd necessarily be thrilled with Steve Yeowell scripting Zenith, Simon Fraser on Nikolai Dante, or Paul Marshall writing a sequel to Firekind.

Me neither, but that doesn't detract from the fact that they are just as much these series' creators as the writers are.

TordelBack

Quote from: broodblik on 22 March, 2021, 01:37:59 PM
But even this in comics are not a sure thing how many times has characters been killed off and "miraculously" returned from the dead.

Yes, I was going to say!  Killing Sláine, ABC Warriors or even Nemesis doesn't usually stick.

I think Pat'd be crazy to really-mean-it-this-time kill Sláine in a single unheralded tweaked episode, when a few weeks knocking up a Death of Sláine story would do some slight good for his wallet and his brand.  (Although it need hardly be said that he's a creative genius with more than half a century's experience of the comics biz, and I'm just one of the dreaded fans whose tyranny hath brought many a great man low).

Also, I really quite liked Ulysses Sweet, original and return both, so my judgement should be given even less weight.

TordelBack

Quote from: The Corinthian on 22 March, 2021, 01:53:43 PM
Quote from: IndigoPrime on 22 March, 2021, 01:19:20 PM
I dunno. I don't think we'd necessarily be thrilled with Steve Yeowell scripting Zenith, Simon Fraser on Nikolai Dante, or Paul Marshall writing a sequel to Firekind.

Me neither, but that doesn't detract from the fact that they are just as much these series' creators as the writers are.

I'd make an exception for a Fraser Dante - that boy can write.

IndigoPrime

I don't think Pat gives the slightest shit anymore. I half wonder whether he'd kill Sláine out of spite, probably via a spear thrown by a character called Jay, Son of King Slea.

(As I've said before, I get the work-for-hire thing. I've been crapped on many a time. But I draw the line at insulting my fellow creators in the space I work in and posting borderline slanderous rants about publishers.)

TordelBack

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 22 March, 2021, 02:14:39 PM
I half wonder whether he'd kill Sláine out of spite, probably via a spear thrown by a character called Jay, Son of King Slea.

:lol: Well I think we know who's first in line for the Sláine: Slay Harder writing gig!

The Corinthian

The first episode of The Horned God basically starts with Ukko grieving for Slaine "for he is gone from us now".  That was 32 years ago. Mills has been millking it a bit.