Main Menu

Prog 2223 - The Root Of All Evil

Started by Goosegash, 14 March, 2021, 12:21:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

I do not think Mills ever intended for Slaine to end. If its popular just continue with it. This is why I would have not have a series than one where we have a forced ending. But lets see and wait maybe the door is slightly ajar.
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

TordelBack

The most annoying part of that possibility is that the main influence for Sláine - CúChulainn - has one of the most spectacular and emotional death sequences in all of myth, and the story so far hasn't really touched on (used-up) any big aspect of it.

As to ending things after BoI, I definitely see the appeal, but I think it was appropriate that Sláine's story extended beyond his purpose as champion of the Tuatha Dé Dannan given his past. While I generally disliked the Wanderer stories, they were a perfect lead-in for the excellent Brutannia.

As mused before, I suspect the Brutannia Chronicles were originally meant to run another few books, covering the current ground, since only the initial and concluding episodes actually take place in Brutannia, while (despite Sligo and Mayo placenames suggesting otherwise) all of the Dragontamer does.

I, Cosh

Seems to be a hell of a lot of wild speculation on the basis of absolutely zero evidence that Pat's somehow planning to use the latest delay in the art to radically change the ending of the current story rather than just tweak the dialogue.

You think he's going to magic marker a big arrow going through Slaine's head in the last panel? Or change the last speech bubble to "Oh! My ... heart! UURGH!"
We never really die.

norton canes

I wonder if he's been reading Mean Team..?

TordelBack

Quote from: I, Cosh on 24 March, 2021, 10:32:09 AM
Seems to be a hell of a lot of wild speculation on the basis of absolutely zero evidence that Pat's somehow planning to use the latest delay in the art to radically change the ending of the current story rather than just tweak the dialogue.

You think he's going to magic marker a big arrow going through Slaine's head in the last panel? Or change the last speech bubble to "Oh! My ... heart! UURGH!"

Not that, certainly, but when Pat's been vocal about editing the last-ever episode of Sláine, which is delayed several weeks, after originally having a different title and scheduled to run about a year ago, you'd be forgiven for imagining that he's tweaking something to indicate there'll be no more. It doesn't seem likely that he's just tippexing out the "Sláine will return in 2022!" caption box, or the final character in "The End?".

But I agree, I don't see a Pooch moment in our immediate future. Although maybe that'd finally please the "Sláine should have ended after Horned God (ie 30 years ago) and as for those leyser guns and aliens" lobby,  you never know!

TordelBack

IndigoPrime

Well, on 'pooch' one might argue this could be a 'screw the pooch' moment, but who knows how it'll end up? I do get the feeling no-one's going to come away from this satisfied, but here's hoping the strip at least gets a good send-off rather than just being guillotined because the creator doesn't like working with Rebellion.

Leigh S

Not really Zero evidence:

We've had 9 parts of a 10 part story, which seems to be setting up all kinds of new protagonists and situationswith one part to tie those off AND give is a decent send off for a 40 year old character.

we've had evidence this was was meant to be multiple books

We have evidence from Pat himself, telling us he was ending the story in such a way as no other writer could ever get their hands on Slaine... that sounds like it would need a fair amount of ground covering to get where we are at the end of part 9 to wherever 6(?) pages leaves us.

That said, I had a dream last night that next prog was an all Slaine special and over the course of the prog it finished really well! Definitely spending too much time mithering on this, for sure.  Just feel as a fan of Pat who has mostly stood by him as creator and creative pugilist somewhat let down on both fronts - but yeah, may be too premature to be writing the end off, but you can see the reasons for why a brief rewrite (which I agree appears as much as is available to be done) might fail to stick the landing given the imposed restrictions

Quote from: I, Cosh on 24 March, 2021, 10:32:09 AM

Jim_Campbell

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

The Corinthian

Leigh S

True enough!

You'd think the best way to end the story so no other writers wanted to meddle would be to end it satisfactorily, but what do I know!

If it gets a "Final Solution" ending, there's always going to be a desire to "fix it" - Halo Jones on the other hand has remained meddling free, precisely because it ends prefectly where it does.

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 24 March, 2021, 06:04:53 PM
Quote from: Leigh S on 24 March, 2021, 05:47:47 PM
fail to stick the landing given the self-imposed restrictions

FTFY.

Max Headroom

Do we know in which Prog part 10 of 'Dragontamer' will be?

Leigh S

I'm presuming this weeks (Sat for subscribers) as NAKKA is over, but not sure if that's confirmed

I, Cosh

The forum doesn't like Twitter links so here's a screenshot courtesy of our friends on FB

Of course it's impossible to say how much of any statement can ever be called true. Or what truth is.
We never really die.

TordelBack

That's reassuring info, cheers Cosh!  Don't know how I missed that tweet myself.