Main Menu

The Unofficial 2000AD Sketch Competition #2: VOTING THREAD!

Started by Jim_Campbell, 17 March, 2021, 07:27:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

It's time for the Unofficial 2000AD Forum Sketch Comp #2 Voting Thread!

Please vote for your three favourites, clearly ranking them 1st, 2nd and 3rd. If you're voting for one of multiple entries, please be clear which one you're voting for. If you want to add an Honorary Mention for anyone's entry, I'll use those in the event of a tie-break situation.

Remember that, in addition to picking the theme for next month's sketch competition, there is now a choice of TWO shiny prizes for the winner.

Choose between either: 1) a randomly selected graphic novel from my Terrifyingly Tall Tower of Comps™ or 2) the original art for either my Chopper or Slaine entries. (There's a fairly major cock-up that I erased digitally, within the time limit, on my first, so you can't have that one!)

The entries, in alphabetical order, are...

Bolt-01

Colin YNWA #1

Colin YNWA #2

Dark Jimbo

Funt Solo

Jayzus B. Christ #1

Jayzus B. Christ #2

Jim_Campbell #1

Jim Campbell #2

Jim Campbell #3

Legendary Shark #1

Legendary Shark #2

Legendary Shark #3

Legendary Shark #4

MIK

Rogue Judge

Tomwe #1

Tomwe #2

Tomwe #3

Woolly #1

Woolly #2
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

broodblik

1. Dark Jimbo
2. Jim_Campbell #1
3. Tomwe #2

This was a difficult one the choose from
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Tomwe

Really good entries this time around!

1) Colin YNWA #2 (ape in a spacesuit) - apes win most things!
2) Dark Jimbo (Tyranny Rex) - great update on this character.
3) MIK (Armoured Gideon) - If Marvel can do The Iron Giant with a Sentinal, Tharg can do it with AG!

The Legendary Shark

1: Woolly's Billy Savage.
2: Jim's Chopper. (Settle down at the back...)
3: Colin's Ape in a Spacesuit.

HM: JBC #1

Very hard to choose - quality abounds.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Bolt-01

Trooper McFad

Sooo many to choose from. Well done to all entries.

My favourites are

1- Tomwe #1
2- Jim Campbell #1
3- Legendary Shark #1

Hm - Wooly #2 & Colin YNWA #1
Great comp can't wait for the next one
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

JayzusB.Christ

This is indeed a hard one.  Obviously mine are by far the best*, but I can't vote myself, so...

1 - Dark Jimbo (by a whisker)
2 - Tomwe 2
3 - Jim 2

HM - Bolt

*No they're not.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Rogue Judge

This is genuinely difficult to select a top 3, a good problem to have! I'm pleased to see so many entries.

1. Jim_Campbell #1 - Great humor, details & execution.
2. Tomwe #2 - A lot of characters packed in, very creative.
3. Dark Jimbo - I'm less familiar with Rex's character, but this art is awesome.

HM to everyone else, great efforts all-round.

Funt Solo

I found it quite difficult to come up with a top three and you can probably tell from my cheat-worthy long list of honorable mentions, and then even the ones that didn't make the short list were challenging to discard...

1st: Tomwe #3: Why They Have To Be So Mean? - injecting pathos back into this character, and providing a built-in storyline that would actually have something to say to a younger reader - such a wonderful, creative entry. Thanks, Tomwe!

2nd: Woolly #2: Billy Savage - another one that builds a story into the sketch, so that we can imagine this as the cover to an opening episode of a longer series. Tharg - are you seeing this?

3rd: Dark Jimbo: [Tyranny Rexette] or [Teen Tyranny] - art so good. Tyranny often lashed out beyond what might seem reasonable - and I can understand that coming more from a teenage character than an adult, so this is perfect reboot material.

HMs [in order, so if you're using any for tie-breaking points, use the top one, please]
Jim Campbell #2: Chopper - very appealing image, clearly.
Colin YNWA #2 Ape in a Spacesuit - love the high concept, great image.
Jim Campbell #3: [Young Slaine] - another very appealing image.
Tomwe #2: Bag Company - top notch punnage deserves rewarding. Loved the kool stances.

---

I thought my *idea* was good, but I would have to hire an artist to realize it.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Woolly

1st - Dark Jimbo - Tyranny Rex.
2nd - Jim Campbell - Rogue Trooper.
3rd - Colin YNWA - Evil Grandmaster Penguin!

HM - Funt Solo - ABC Warriors: The Schoolboy Years

Really great stuff going on in this comp', roll on the next one!

Dark Jimbo

Tomwe 2 - Such a good idea, and so much detail achieved for a 45 min sketch. Plus little Protoid in the basket made me actually laugh out loud! I want to read this strip yesterday!

Jim Campbell 1 - I actually like Lil' Slaine the best of Jim's entries, but this is funnier!

Colin YNWA 1 - It's Torquemada as a penguin, fer cryin' out loud...!

HM - If I had to pick only one (and I'm going to, I'm afraid, purely because it's easier for me!) it'd be Wooly's Billy Savage. I can totally imagine the strip that would go along with this.
@jamesfeistdraws

Jim_Campbell

Are those positions 1, 2, 3 as you've listed them, Jimbo?

Dark Jimbo

@jamesfeistdraws

milstar

Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

Jim_Campbell

Thank you for all your votes so far, folks! I'm just bumping this back up the forum because I forgot to say in my initial post that the voting thread will close end of day, Monday 22nd March and the winner will be announced shortly thereafter.

If anyone else wants to get their votes in, now's the time! :)