Main Menu

The Pit Audiobook

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 19 March, 2021, 02:07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

I've got through all the Penguin audiobooks now, and The Pit is pretty darned good. 
Unlike America and Halo Jones, there's a third-person narrator here, and it works well too - there's just too much action and too many characters to follow without it.

This is just as frantic but tightly plotted as the comic, and the actors do the job nicely.  Dredd's slightly-softer-than-expected voice suits the desk-job sector chief Dredd better than the fascist authoritarian of the  America audiobook, and while it's not as good as Karl Urban's masterful version, it's much better than Toby Longworth's (no offence to Mr Longworth; but I think his other characters were better than his Dredd).

In fact, Guthrie sounds a bit more like the Dredd of the old audiobooks and the game. I'd have imagined him as a fast-talking street punk type, but it's not a problem.  Star of the show for me is, unexpectedly, Fonzo Bongo!  As an odd blend of Shaggy from Scooby Doo and Scarface, it can't be an easy one to pull off, but he fecking nails it.

Hoping they do more of these audiobooks; it's looking more and more like I'm going to buy any they put out.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

CalHab

I'm listening to this in the car at the moment. It's really good! It works a lot better than The Sandman adaptation I started listening to last year. Very much recommended.