Main Menu

Dr. Mesmer's Revenge (Treasury of British Comics)

Started by SmallBlueThing(Reborn), 24 April, 2021, 11:12:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

I'm partway through this, and unexpectedly loving every page. Carlos Cruz's artwork is absolutely sensational- moody, gloomy, full of detail and character- I have to see more of this previously ignored-by-me artist.

A few things: one- this strip is absolutely chock full of imagery and concepts that would have terrified the living hell out of me as a young weekly comics reader (sadly, this came a few years before I would have had any access to it)- walking mummies, scary Egyptian artefacts and gods, houses shaped like pyramids, brrr. And that's just the first story- i have no idea what horrors are lurking in the rest of he book.

And yet, it's never mentioned. I never see online reminiscences about the terrors of Dr Mesmer's Revenge. How is this possible? Did no one read it? I recently picked up the very-beautifully-produced magazine 'Pulp Horror' issue 7, which is a mummy special, detailing the history of the wrapped-zombie in short stories, novels, pulps and comics during the twentieth century... of Dr Mesmer not a whiff. How is this possible?

And further- why is the Rebellion paperback branded as 'From the pages of Thunder' on the front, with a Thunder comic logo on the spine... when as it clearly states inside it came from LION & THUNDER, post-merger, when the 'Thunder' logo was very much the smaller of the two. Surely like repronting Fiends On The Eastern Front with a 'From the pages of Tornado' brand, simply because it first appeared in 2000AD & TORNADO #152? Odd.

Anyway- Dr Mesmer rocks. It is, as this forum is fond of saying, arsom.

SBT

Sean SD

Glad you are enjoying it, I'm thinking of getting that one as well.

Currently reading a copy of Monster (Treasury of British Comics) and enjoying it more than I thought I would.

That Wagner fellow sure can write a story. Redondo art is great as well