Main Menu

The Science of Judge Dredd

Started by pauljholden, 17 July, 2021, 10:55:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pauljholden

Well, Judges are not unthinking autonomous bots, so my post was merely suggesting one might do that (equally someone else might think - maybe I'll get that last idiot with a ricochet, no sense using a heatseeker with hiex going off everywhere...)

The Legendary Shark

Maybe verbalisations also provide a record for the judges' helmets built-in black boxes. Or a way for Control to have some idea what's going on. Or all of the above.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 20 July, 2021, 08:24:35 PM

Maybe verbalisations also provide a record for the judges' helmets built-in black boxes. Or a way for Control to have some idea what's going on. Or all of the above.

Interesting. So maybe the SJS don't vocalise because they're accountable to no one? Unless there's an SSJSS?
You may quote me on that.

paddykafka

Or maybe, way back in the early days of Justice Department, someone in Human Resources, thought that the morale of the Judges might be given a boost, if they were able to shout out things like "Hi-Ex!" and "Incendiary!", thus making them feel really cool and impressed with themselves?  :-\

Dash Decent

Quote from: pauljholden on 20 July, 2021, 03:41:24 PM
Well, Judges are not unthinking autonomous bots, so my post was merely suggesting one might do that (equally someone else might think - maybe I'll get that last idiot with a ricochet, no sense using a heatseeker with hiex going off everywhere...)

Yes, it has to be something procedural (as an in-world explanation), given how prevalent it is.  It must be drummed into them at the Academy: Let the rest of the team know what you are doing - warn them of what you are about to do.  And it's drummed in so hard, they do it regardless of whether they are operating in partnership or solo.  Like indicating when you're driving and no one else is around - you don't really know who might be nearby and you have to do it on the off-chance someone is about to dart across the road/someone from the Wally Squad is hiding out nearby.

I also like the idea it's for Control listening in.  If the helmet is 'smart', it could also feed back into Control, so they could patch into your sound and vision any time you are on the ground.  Shouting out what you doing may be a back up procedure, "Always do this in case your helmet link fails".
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Dash Decent

Quote from: paddykafka on 20 July, 2021, 08:49:53 PM
Or maybe, way back in the early days of Justice Department, someone in Human Resources, thought that the morale of the Judges might be given a boost, if they were able to shout out things like "Hi-Ex!" and "Incendiary!", thus making them feel really cool and impressed with themselves?  :-\

If you haven't run around your house shouting "HI-EX!" in your best Dredd voice, you haven't lived.

Er, so I've been told.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.