Main Menu

Forum’s Favourite Thrill - Pandora vs Bob Byrne’s Twisted Tales Rd 1 Heat 48

Started by Colin YNWA, 02 December, 2021, 06:24:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Week 6 and, brace yourself, we get over the half way marker in Round 1... yes when I said this was the biggest of these things yet I wasn't messing about! We're not even half way... in Round 1... and Round 2 is bigger than Round 1 before you get your hopes up... we're in for the long haul here folks!

Storytelling needs to be reflected on here. For all this magnificent style and eye-popping glory John Hicklenton wasn't the clearest of storytellers to say the least. Bob Byrne however doesn'tr use dialogue or words and is still able to tell his tales - is that enough though?

Which most rattles your thrill-receptors:

Pandora - more info

Vs.

Bob Byrne's Twisted Tales - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite thrill of these two series at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Sunday 5th December and the winner gets a place in Round 2 (of 9!!!).

What on Earth is ALL of this?

For those that need 'um and can be bothered to follow 'um there's some simple rules

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN!

broodblik

Bob Byrne's Twisted Tales - for people whom like  a wordy strip like me
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

AlexF

Pandora is that one story from the Megazine where John 'storytelling, what's that?' Hicklenton combined with Jim 'Storytelling, what's that?' Alexander to create the ultimate in 1990s 'this looks so weird and cool it MUST be good even though I can't follow any of it' strip. Yes?

Twisted Tales.

abelardsnazz

Hmmm, despite calling myself a fan of John Hicklenton I've managed to never have heard of Pandora. As there should be other opportunities to vote for his work - Strange Cases should be coming up? - I'm voting for Bob Byrne's Twisted Tales.

IndigoPrime

For a moment, I thought this was Pandora Perfect, but it isn't. I don't remember much about Pandora (not Perfect), other than Hicklenton's art was up to its usual standards. But Twisted Tales did innovative things. Even if the odd one is borderline incomprehensible, the majority of the tales are solid to the point that strip's an easy win for me.

Link Prime

Huge fan of Bob Byrne's Twisted Tales and of pretty much anything else Bob has ever produced.
Talented fecker.

Blue Cactus

Yeah, Bob is great. I loved his Mr Amperduke stuff too. His Twisted Tales were cool and I usually preferred them to a lot of Future Shocks, Time Twisters etc. Some of those one episode thrills can feel pretty run of the mill for me, whereas Twisted Tales were always weird and unique. If Future Shocks are often a testing ground, Byrnes stories were fully formed from a singular vision.

One thing that's emerging from this tournament for me is that I have a soft spot for certain mid-90s Meg strips. I started collecting the Meg around 1993 as a young teen and really enjoyed a lot of stuff that's often not considered up to scratch. Pandora is a strip I just loved to STARE at. Copied a few panels from it freehand to try and see what Hicklenton was doing. Art wise I think it's up with his best and I love his stuff generally. The plot was hard to follow but I kind of enjoyed that!

Pandora, but I'll be happy to see Mr Byrne go through to the next round.

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Blue Cactus

Quote from: Funt Solo on 02 December, 2021, 06:46:14 PM
Bob Byrne's Twisted Tales

Actually that story alone is better than Pandora. Oh well, too late now, my vote is cast!

Funt Solo

I really enjoyed Pandora - mostly for the art. She was in JD Mega-Special #7 (1994) and then there was a short series (Mural Scream) in megs 2.77-2.81. My short review of Mural Scream goes like this:

She's a Wally Squad operative who goes deep cover into a metaphysical drug gang that's part of an SJS plot to psychically monitor the citizens (that, for some reason, involves passionate, leather-clad, psychedelic sex rituals).

It's barmy stuff, and Hicklenton's art was always challenging and in yer face, in a good way.

(My vote up-thread is still for Twisted Tales, but it was a difficult decision, mainly because of how highly I rate Hicklenton's work.)
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

NapalmKev

"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"