Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zarjazzer

Siege of the Saxons a film with all the major battles lifted from another film (the Black Knight with Alan Ladd),and the cast wearing costumes exactly like their counterparts in the BK,the sheer brass neckedness of the producers simply amazed me, acting more hammy than a bacon factory. Fabulously bad.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

SmallBlueThing

We dont have a thread for full-cast audio or audio books, so it'll have to go here, seeing as the 'what are you listening to?' thread is entirely a groove sound assault of musical coolness.

Anyway: The H P Lovecraft Historical Society and Dark Adventure Radio Theatre production of
AT THE MOUNTAINS OF MADNESS
(£6.50 MP3 DOWNLOAD from cthulhulives.org)

Oh my giddy aunt. Told in the style of an authentic 1930s radio broadcast, this dramatises HPL's story over an hour and twenty minutes. Aside from a misstep early on, when some of the interference-troubled audio linkups to the antarctic are near-unintelligable (i know what they say, but im very familiar with the story, so...) this never puts a foot wrong and is honestly terrifying in its later stages. The cast is brilliant, the production and sound design incredible. I cannot urge anyone with a love of HPL enough to givit a go.

Also available as a CD with knick knacks from the expedition and and other VAM. I'll be getting that later.

SBT

Colin Zeal

I watched the remake of Red Dawn over the weekend. I hadn't thought it was possible to make a more pointless film than the original version but somehow they have. As much as the first film is incredibly stupid, I have a soft spot for it and it's one of those films that when you wonder why on earth it was made you just have to shrug and accept that a lot of films were made in the 80s than can only be explained by the fact that it was the 80s. The remake/reboot doesn't have that excuse. It's very similar to the first one but just lacks a bit of something and annoys throughout. There's a real gloss and sheen to this version that just makes it that very smug and much more ridiculous (I am aware that the premise of both films is utterly ridiculous already.) And it doesn't have C Thomas Howell trying to shoot down a helicopter with an Ak47 in it, so it loses out on that score as well.

Spikes

Someone has posted the full original Red Dawn on You-tube, so i saw it for the first time since renting it out from the local video shop, all those years ago.
I bet John Milius came in his pants when this project got the green light. Me? I think its Grade A dogshit.

Caught Full Metal Jacket on Ch5 last night. As glorious as it always was. That is all.

Tiplodocus

Predators

Distinctly average. Utterly predictable and borrowed lots of beats from the original.

Why bother with an alien planet setting of you don't make it alien?

Creatures look as cool as ever though.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Professor Bear

Sahara.  A decent James "God took the wrong brother" Belushi flick about some tommies and yanks in the desert making a last stand against some Krauts.  Lots of balsa wood in the cast, but it's a well-enough done story, if treading a lot of familiar ground to the point I think it might be a remake of something else, and "I come here to kill Nazis - I have TOO MUCH HATE to make good Resistance" is a top quote.

Charlie boy

Osombie: The Axis of Evil Dead. I was hoping it would be the good kind of bad instead of just bad. By 12 minutes in I was already really enjoying it and by the end it was that good-bad I started to think it had to be intentional and so the film is somewhat a work of genius. As you can probably guess, the plot focuses on a special forces unit sent into Afghanistan to destroy the zombie threat. The write-up on the back of the case wins you over during the first sentence: 'Dusty, a yoga instructor from Colorado...'

ThryllSeekyr

I watched Ted last weekend. It was hilarious.

I had Flash Gordon in it.

HdE

Back when I had money, I went and bought the box set of the old 90's sci fi show 'Lexx'. It's sat on my shelf for over a year, but this week I finally got to watching the first four TV movies.

That is some deliciously twee TV sci-fi. I can't make up my mind whether it's really bad, so bad it's good, or actually really quite good. Brilliant fun with a beer and a curry, however you slice it.

And - oh God - Eva Habermann! [Drooooollll]
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

SmallBlueThing

I reckon borderline genius/madness for the original movies, genius for the tv show proper, then arsewater as it limped to an end. The point where it became arsewater is, obviously, for each of us to decide independently.
Has the dvd version got the "oh-way-oh, oh-wayyy-oh, oh-way-oh, hurrah brunen-gee!" song over the titles? My old vhs boxset had replaced it with some horrible old shit.

SBT

HdE

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 12 December, 2012, 05:31:51 PM
I reckon borderline genius/madness for the original movies, genius for the tv show proper, then arsewater as it limped to an end. The point where it became arsewater is, obviously, for each of us to decide independently.

Y'know, I actually slapped a couple of season 4 episodes on to see what I'd make of it, and was thoroughly entertained. This is a show I can't take even remotely seriously when it's at its best, though, so it's not like I have high expectations. I'll be entertained, I reckon.

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 12 December, 2012, 05:31:51 PM
Has the dvd version got the "oh-way-oh, oh-wayyy-oh, oh-way-oh, hurrah brunen-gee!" song over the titles? My old vhs boxset had replaced it with some horrible old shit.

This also perplexed me. Each season seems to have its own opener, with slight changes to the opening sequence. From season 3, 'Yo Way Yo' is present and correct.

For poops and giggles, I got some weird looks when I stepped out of the shower this evening, having sung:

"Yo way yo!
Yo Way yo!
Huum vaa ray!
Yo Way Yoooo
Jerhume Brunen G!
Yo waaaaayy yoooo
Huum ray vaaa
Jerrr-huuuuume Bru-neeeennn geeeeeee!!!"

I am either deeply sad, apocalyptically awesome, or unhinged.

(But regardless of whichever you decide, I'm still clean and nice smelling!)

I, Cosh

Ha. I only remembered them doing that on the Gilbert & Sullivan episode. I think I've only ever seen the first two series so my memories of the lunacy are unsullied by whatever came after. It might be mental, but it's definitely not bad.

Oh, and I respect a man's right to choose his own path through life but I always preferred the second Xev. Although I have a long history of this, preferring the second Dax, the second Romana and the second Terminator.
We never really die.

HdE

I am a broad church. There is room in my heart for both Zevs / Xevs / whatever. ;)

I, Cosh

Quote from: HdE on 12 December, 2012, 09:51:02 PM
I am a broad church. There is room in my heart for both Zevs / Xevs / whatever. ;)
You bloody liberals and your equal opportunites for every attractive German actress. She's part Cluster Lizard, you know!
We never really die.

SmallBlueThing

Part Cluster Lizard!!

I really want to watch Lexx now...

SBT