Main Menu

Kickstarting Channel Hex

Started by pauljholden, 21 June, 2019, 11:49:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pauljholden

I've been mulling over a kickstart. It's mostly because I want to a particular format of book and no publishers are doing it, and the endless pitch and punt cycle is getting to me, so I'm hoping kickstarter might be a way to do this.

The book will be a 64 page Starblazer, digest format. Probably nicer production values, probably a paper back AND a hardback will be available, and likely on better than newsprint. But a nice, small digest sized sci-fi book.

Reasons for this are simple: that page size I can draw on page per day WHILE I'm doing paid work and I get to draw the sort of stuff I love.

I've no idea yet how much the book will be (though I have some notion) it certainly will be within the ballpark of this sort of kickstarter venture and I'll be largely aiming to cover the costs of print and distribution. It'd be lovely to do well enough to cover cost of the creating the thing, but that might just not be possible

Here's a mock-up cover of what a book like this might look like and you can read more about it on my blog...

And my blog talks a little about it here http://www.pauljholden.com/2019/06/21/channel-hex-planet-of-the-blind/

Funt Solo

I loved the Starblazer comics so this idea appeals to me.

I used to have a huge stack of them but for some reason they got discarded (along with my Victors and Hotspurs) when I got more regularly into 2000 AD. 

I just looked up some cover images and got that slightly-queasy-but-nice nostalgia tummy feeling.  (Other people get that, right?)

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Trout

Yeah, I'll back that. I'll look out for a link when you're ready. Cool stuff!

Colin YNWA

Certainly be worth a look and the produce sounds interesting to be sure.

Tjm86

Quote from: Funt Solo on 22 June, 2019, 01:19:10 AM
....  got that slightly-queasy-but-nice nostalgia tummy feeling.  (Other people get that, right?)

Aye, but that's normally because of a dodgy korma ....

Greg M.

Quote from: Funt Solo on 22 June, 2019, 01:19:10 AM

Written and drawn by Grant Morrison, no less!

I love the Starblazer format. Might well back this.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Lock up your spoons!

maryanddavid

james newell

Yes! do it!
I have been reading some Starblazers this month again to inspire me to continue my own long term Starblazer type project "Skeleton Crew", really like the average of 2-3 panels per page.

Would love to see how you get on in this.

Jim_Campbell

As you already know, i'm very much onboard for as much of a lettering/production/design assist as you need.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

IAMTHESYSTEM

That art looks creepy, James Newell- and I like it! It seems like some Mega- Corporation decided Space exploration by the 'undead' would 'save a significant Financial accrument in this Fiscal period.' Hell, yeah count me in for a little dough Paul you've got the time to do this. Shit, any Art I'm happy to try and bang out if your schedule becomes crowded. This project sounds like a great idea.   
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

pauljholden

Quote from: james newell on 22 June, 2019, 01:30:30 PM
Yes! do it!
I have been reading some Starblazers this month again to inspire me to continue my own long term Starblazer type project "Skeleton Crew", really like the average of 2-3 panels per page.

Would love to see how you get on in this.

One: stop trying to steal my thunder man!
Two; that looks freaking awesome!

Darren Stephens

Is this the project you've been mulling over on Twitter? I'd definitely be backing that. I see Mr Soffe may be colouring something, too? Gonna look AMAZING then. ;)
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

james newell

"One: stop trying to steal my thunder man!"

Sorry P.J., no way a lowly "Sentient Tea Bot" would steal anything from you!

I was just so excited to see the forum having a conversation about Starblazer, would love to see it in print again and your project might be the catalyst to get it in the comic readers minds and maybe ever D.C. Thomson might take note.

Looking forward to seeing more of your work on this.

pauljholden

Quote from: james newell on 22 June, 2019, 09:48:25 PM
"One: stop trying to steal my thunder man!"

Sorry P.J., no way a lowly "Sentient Tea Bot" would steal anything from you!

I was just so excited to see the forum having a conversation about Starblazer, would love to see it in print again and your project might be the catalyst to get it in the comic readers minds and maybe ever D.C. Thomson might take note.

Looking forward to seeing more of your work on this.

I'm just going to emphasis this bit again:
Two; that looks freaking awesome!

I honestly don't ever remember seeing starblazer in Belfast growing up, suspect I might have seen one or two issues, since I have some niggling in the back of my head. But I love the idea of the format. Your thing looks amazing, please tell me where I can see more... (And I'd be very happy to see it appear fully in print alongside my work if they ever did a starblazer return...)