Main Menu

Millar in good comic shock

Started by Radbacker, 17 May, 2007, 09:14:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bico

Long Halloween is the closest Loeb has ever come to a decent story, but after that, he outstayed his welcome, with every other month seeing him churn out yet another superhero monstrosity featuring over-wordy caption boxes composed of nothing more than fifth-form attempts at angsty-psychobabble that destroy any sense of pacing he might be hoping to build with the speech balloons and visuals.  It's entirely possible, in fact, to read his stories by skipping the caption boxes altogether - almost like he adds them AFTER the script is finished.  For a good example of this, check out the reprints of Batman/Superman, which is a disturbingly bad comic - until Loeb introduces the jailbait Supergirl and it just becomes disturbing.

He's also the new writer on Ultimates.  It'll be strange to see everyone on the board look back and say without irony "that comic was better when Mark Miller wrote it".

Dan Kelly

Art

Last issue of Ultimates was out this week!

Includes and 8 page splash from Hitch - lickily they decided to go for fold out pages.

Dan

Byron Virgo

"no. spiderman: blue, Superman for all seasons, batman: dark victory. enjoyed them all. trying to get my grubby little hands on the Long Halloween"

You're from some sort of Bizarro universe, aren't you?

Tiplodocus

Vampirajen, I think I've got Long Halloween somewhere (unless I sold it). I'll try and dig it out.

I've enjoyed the bits of Loeb I've read. His two main Bat things (Dark Victory and Long Halloween) were most enjoyable and Superman for All Seasons was great.  

Did he do Daredevil: Yellow? That wasn't so good.

I recently acquired ULTIMATE FANTASTIC FOUR Volume 1 in a game of chance.  I was unfamiliar with their original origins but I thought the first three issues were great fun but then, for some *inexplicable* reason, it degenerated into a rather stupid punch up.

In other Fantastic Four themed news, I saw the movie recently as well. It was actually reasonably enjoyable (again, I don't know the comics - Is Doctor Doom really so wet?) and had the feel of a pretty good TV pilot about it (which means it fell short of summer blockbuster requiremnts in a few departments).  

Tiny Tips said of THING "He's rubbish - he found it really hard to hold on to that fire engine. MR Incredible could have done it really easily!".

Teenage Tips said of Sue Storm: "Dribble".

I had to agree with them both.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!