Main Menu

The Future Of the Case Files...

Started by radiator, 16 May, 2007, 10:14:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ukdane

Daily Star Dredds are probably the only Dredd stories that many people have never read.
I'd love a DSD Case file or 2.

Oh, and I vote for Robo-Hunter book IV too.
Cheers

-Daney

Morris The Grey

Who cares if the format of the books changes? If the modern Dredd comics are color and their reprinted in black and white then it's not really "complete".

If the books get more expensive or change the paper stock (OMG! the paper feels different, Im going to die!) I will still buy them; as long the dimensions of the book stay the same.

As for those who are worried about the 90's Dredd  stories then Rebellion should release those "bad" story volumes with the annuals, daily Dredds, or other specials as an incentive for those that dislike those non-Wagner stories or who want the special issues to buy the complete case files.

Oh and please release those volumes in the U.S.

Pete Wells

What a great thread - HUGE thanks to Byron and Robin for a reasoned, fascinating debate that hasn't descended into shit slinging like so many other threads lately.

I have to say I'm firmly with Robin here though. I too own most Dredd strips in many different formats and I really did buy the Case Files for:

A) a handy index of ALL Dredd tales. Essential due to Wagner's fine habbit of slow burn plot threads and to refresh the memory when a recurring character or scenario appears.

B) Precisely to get my hands on some of the Dredd strips of the 90's that will probably not otherwise be reprinted. Please remember people, not ALL of these were bad!

Furthermore, the thing with comics is that they are a collaborative medium. We love them not only the script but the art too. I'm just as likely to get excited over a new Equerra or MacMahon strip as I am a Wagner or Moore one. If the case files stop we would lose a chance to see, in my opinion, some absolutely stunning Dredd art. From the top of my head we'd lose:

- some of Equerra's finest work (yes I'm talking Inferno/Project X;)
- the growth of Greg Staples;
- the lovely brushwork of Mick Austin;
- some fun Dermot Power/Jim Murray/Jason Brashill tales;
- great painted Gibson;
- Kev Walker/Karl Critchlow/Simon Coleby's changing stlyes;
- Ron Smith's final Dredd's;

Aw man, it wasn't all murky muddy browns and purely from an arty point of view I really think these tales need another airing.

As for the scripts too, yes there were some real turkeys, but I'm sure the majority would stand up better than most of Casefiles 1 and 2. There have been loads great tales mentioned in this thread that I'd enjoy to read again. I'd much prefer the chance to re-read Purgatory/Inferno, complete Mechanismo or even Crusade than to be presented with blooody Cal or the Cured Earth for the umteenth time.

If you are reading this Jon O, thanks for doing a brilliant job and PLEASE don't drop the Casefiles!

TordelBack

Blimey Pete, that recitation almost brought a tear to me eye!  How could I have been so unappreciative of all that loverly art?  Ah, I know, I was too busy being pissed off by the gut-gnawingly awful stories.  Maybe Jon could get that bodger droid out of retirement and white out all the speech bubbles so we could just enjoy the spectacle without disraction?

Seriously though, you do make a strong case for continuing beyond the Singularity.

Pete Wells

Reading it back though, it's a strong case filled with typos - grrr!

judgerussell