Main Menu

Prog 2175 - Semi Detached

Started by Richard, 28 March, 2020, 01:02:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomwe

Quote from: Molch-R on 30 March, 2020, 03:36:08 PM
A quick reminder that certain words remain verboten, even if under spoiler tags ;)
LOL!

Woolly

Quote from: Molch-R on 30 March, 2020, 03:36:08 PM
A quick reminder that certain words remain verboten, even if under spoiler tags ;)

Oops! Sorry there  :-X
Maybe a Mod can change it to [spoiler]see you next tuesday[/spoiler]?  ;)

IndigoPrime

Progless. :(

Beanoless also. I guess our local Royal Centre has no posties at the moment.

Leigh S

I had it in my head it was Burton to Garth Ennis?

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 30 March, 2020, 03:26:15 PM
Quote from: Woolly on 30 March, 2020, 03:23:36 PM
*I think...

ISTR that story was actually that Richard Burton said those words to Andy Diggle on his arrival at the 2000AD offices and that Andy had to restrain himself from shouting back: "No, it's fucking not!"

Leigh S

Anyway, what I meant to say was (withoout jinxing it)...

I am glad 2000AD has so far found a way to keep publicating (new word) - Since prog 195, I have missed three progs:

228 because my newsagent was a dick who as soon as I missed one week thought I had binned the comic..  228!!  Of all the progs to miss - I had been on a caravan holiday I think, last week of the school summer holidays, probably Brean Sands. I picked up my progs on a Saturday, as they were held at my nan's newsagents, who we visited every Saturday...

543 - that was bad distribution I recall - newsie didnt get any copies in, let alone my standing order and I tried Nostalgia and Comics, but no luck - I think I snagged it a few months afterwards?

Around about prog 622 I stopped my standing order and started a weekly ritual of going into town to Nostalgia to get my prog every Wednesday - I recall there was a particular "short cut" under missing bit of the Holiday Inn next to N&C, that if I ever went over in my haste, would guarantee the prog would be a day late, so I had to catch myself to avoid doing it...

Prog 889 - a relaunch prog with a free gift that came out the week I was in New York and curiously sold out of N&C

With 1246 I went Subby, possibly due to Alt.comics 2000AD or whatever it was called, and seeing people discussing the prog days in advance....

Colin YNWA

Well first and formost.

The Phoenix - I salute you
2000ad - I salute you

Let's all get to our door steps 8pm this Thursday and clap the tireless work of those on the frontline of keeping me utterly entertained during these trying times... and watch as all the neighbours watch on wondering why the beardo from 47 is a week late... but we'll know, we'll know...

And boy Tharg doesn't half know how to make interesting time even more interesting. I mean we're in a world rocked by plague, huckering down hanging onto the illusion that society as we know it will be fine ... or that Liverpool might finally win the bloody league*... as we wait for the zombies to finally show their lazy arses... I mean they should be here by now right, or has genre fiction been fibbing to me all these years... will they give us a 50% discount on eatting our brains for their woeful timekeeping and then finally as if the world can't be rocked anymore to it very foundations Tharg runs a story that may or may not have been agreed to by John Wagner and may or may not have been planned all along and may or may not rob us of a story we have already read and has had it wonderful impact on us to give us a new story we know very little about now. A story that I will note has wonderful art by the brilliant Simon Fraser - that colouring is just devine - and the first part of which - the four horsemen rousing aside - is really good.

I'll let [spoiler]Hershey[/spoiler] stand and fall on its own terms and may or may not judge it then.

There are more comics to enjoy here too. Dredd is a fun and frothy number with fun and frothy art.

QuoteGrumpy Blake: Rodan Exty...is he being kept at the morgue on Level 32?
Other bloke: Looks like it.
Grumpy Blake: Then that's where we need to go.

An there we have the problem with Skip Tracer Nolan wants to go and investigate the evidence from a corpse (or experience to acknowledge his capabilities to be fair) and rather than say that he has to say it in 'cool hard man pointed speak' like above. Other than that sort of thing its actually pretty good.

Survival Geeks oh don't you go foolin' me again you tease you. All fun and wonderfully entertaining opening epsiode, glorious art and funny character moments only to let me down further down the line... still this was great so you know maybe I'll trust it this time...

Aquila damn Patrick Goddard gives good Roman art and Masada colour me excited. Enjoyed this, let see how it goes.

Overall a pretty damned good Prog but this line-up has to maintain and that's were the trick is. Still at these trying times lets just be quietly amazed that Tharg can give us this much thrillpower and for that I salute you.

*I swear the lengths to which the red mancs and the blue noses will go to, to prevent that happening...

Bolt-01

Prog was waiting for me last night so I made a brew, got settled and thoroughly enjoyed.

I know the surprise strip is going to cause a stirring, but I do believe it should be judged on its own merits.

Thanks to TMO and the droids for not skipping a beat. For more years than I care to remember this mere comic has been keeping me company in times good and bad, so I take great comfort that it managed to arrive this week.

Thanks to all the command module droids wherever they may be.

#PraiseTharg!

IndigoPrime

Beano has beaten the Prog to household Indigo Prime. I'm happy enough with that way around, but would really like to read the new strip! Hopefully tomorrow...

Magnetica

How many are still waiting for their Prog?

Magnetica

Quote from: Magnetica on 31 March, 2020, 11:26:17 AM
How many are still waiting for their Prog?

I was kinda hoping that would jinx it...and there we have it, the Prog has just been delivered. Along with my wife's Economist😀.

jabish

Whatever my feelings on the 'surprise' I would like to concur with everyone and say huge fair play for getting the comic out and for committing to keeping it coming out. Big thanks for that, JB

davidbishop

Quote from: jabish on 28 March, 2020, 01:15:06 PM
Agree with everything said in that spoiler. And then some. [spoiler]Actually disrespectful. Sorry.[/spoiler]

Agreed, so far at least.[spoiler] If this had come maybe 2 progs after her 'death' I'd have welcomed it with open arms.
As it stands, I'm feeling a bit hoodwinked.[/spoiler]

Still, could be worse. This 'big secret' could have been something Skip Tracer related.
Still, Simon Fraser back in the prog, and it was a good read.
Still, as the mighty Bish-Op once said* 'It's only a [spoiler]fucking[/spoiler] comic!'

*I think...  :-\

Not me.

davidbishop

Quote from: Woolly on 30 March, 2020, 03:29:52 PM
*I think...

ISTR that story was actually that Richard Burton said those words to Andy Diggle on his arrival at the 2000AD offices and that Andy had to restrain himself from shouting back: "No, it's fucking not!"

I could have sworn there was a story involving a very ill Mark Harrison, and Durham Red artwork...
Then again, this might be when he called someone's Mum a [spoiler]****[/spoiler]!  :|

Not true. An apocryphal, verging on libellous tale, relayed third hand - in the 2000AD documentary, I think. I seriously considered litigation against the person who said it, so please don't bring that up again.

Richard

* Everyone digs out their DVD of the documentary... *

Woolly

Quote from: davidbishop on 31 March, 2020, 06:17:41 PM
Quote from: Woolly on 30 March, 2020, 03:29:52 PM
*I think...

I could have sworn there was a story involving a very ill Mark Harrison, and Durham Red artwork...
Then again, this might be when he called someone's Mum a [spoiler]****[/spoiler]!  :|

Not true. An apocryphal, verging on libellous tale, relayed third hand - in the 2000AD documentary, I think. I seriously considered litigation against the person who said it, so please don't bring that up again.

Noted. Sorry mate  :-[