Main Menu

Progs 700 - 970

Started by DavidXBrunt, 21 April, 2002, 04:08:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidXBrunt

Just bought a run of back issues, anyone got any recommendations as to what the best bits are, or where to start?

W. R. Logan

>Just bought a run of back issues, anyone got any recommendations as to what the best bits are, or where to start?

This may sound simplistic but even when reading a huge chunk of back progs I always find reading from the earliest to the latest the best.

Work out what you think are the best periods and you can only do that by starting at the begining and working upwards.

Whilst other peoples opinions are valid, read from as early as you have and make your own mind up.

As the period you are going to read is Prog 700 - 970 I really would start with 700.

La Placa Rifa,
W. R. Logan.

Link: http://www.2000ad.nu/classof79" target="_blank">Class Of '79

http://www.2000adonline.com/covers/2000ad/mediumres/700.jpg">

DavidXBrunt

Thanks for that. I probably will read a prog a day but I was just wondering if there were any absolute classics in this period. I like to read whole blocks of stories in a sitting and was wondering if there was anything special to launch myself off with...

paulvonscott

I'd place them in a random heap and burn them.

DavidXBrunt

Wood

Alternatively, you could check out:

Hewligan's Haircut

Silo

The Garth Ennis Dredds (which divide public opinion). You either like Ennis or you don't. A lot of people do. I liked 'em.

Indigo Prime: Killing Time. An absolute corker.

Zenith Book 4 - which ties up loose ends set up five or six years before. Marvellous.

Tyranny Rex: Deus Ex Machina

There's other stuff I liked in that era, but frankly I'm the only person who liked it, so I'll keep schtum about that.

Avoid:

Finn
Babe Race 2000
Anything written by Michael Fleisher (harsh but true)

DavidXBrunt

Thanks. As for the Ennis stuff, I've liked what I've read (the 6 months I bought around the time of 'Judgement Day' and the recent T.P.B.'s) so I look forwards to that.

Hewligans Haircut has always intrigued me so I'll check that out. And Silo is worth scoping then? What's it about?

Wood

Silo is a little one-off horror story.

I remember, as a teenager, finding it genuinely frightening.

DavidXBrunt

Ta. I'll dig out the issues on my day off and give it a go.