Main Menu

New 2000AD Review interview - Charlie Adlard

Started by gavinhanly, 15 February, 2005, 01:58:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gavinhanly

The Amstor Computer

Absolutely bloody fantastic interview, guys. I'm going to enjoy re-reading this one - and the comments about Dave Stone were hilarious :-)

Good interviewer + good interviewee + the space and time to talk = one fucking excellent piece of writing.

Smiley

Yeah, really nice interview that. Looking forward to the rest of Savage. (Hype!)

Dan Kelly

Great Interview Ed.

Can we have some more (although maybe a bit shorter ;))

Dan

davidbishop

Another interesting interview. My memory of how Charlie got work on the Megazine is a little different from his recollection of events, but such is the nature of things after more than a decade.

Steve MacManus tasked me with finding the next generation of British talent for the Megazine, so the then-monthly wouldn't have to compete with 2000 AD for the same creators. Among the wannabes who sent me stuff were a writer and artist team, of which Charlie was the artist. I invited the two guys into the Fleetway offices (then at Greater London House, opposite Mornington Crescent tube station) and took them to a pub on the nearest corner (the Hope and Anchor?).

Anyway, it was obvious that Charlie had potential as an artist but I was less enthused by his writing partner. I didn't like to do it, but I took Charlie to one side and said I'd be happy to work with him but not as part of that creative team. Charlie took the hint and soon after got his first commissionn for the Meg, a one-off Dredd.

Before anyone asks, I decline to name the would-be writer I shafted. They are still involved with the comics industry but, IIRC, never made it as a script writer.

davidbishop

longmanshort

Let the guessing game commence ;)

Damn good interview, yet again, by Ed. Remember to pick up the forthcoming issue of The End is Nigh for more writing by the ol' recluse, who doesn't look like Ben Affleck in the slightest ;P
+++ implementing rigid format protocols +++ meander mode engaged +++

Dan Kelly

Interesting feedback there.

Never realised that 2000ad ran out of Greater London House, which is just round the corner from my flat.

There's still a pub on the corner, but it's not called the Hope & Anchor anymore.  Just some generic All Bar One rip-off...

Dan

Jared Katooie

Byron Virgo

I think I might know who it is, but I won't say who I think (largely because it would be simply awful were I to be proved embarassingly incorrect!).

"Remember to pick up the forthcoming issue of The End is Nigh for more writing by the ol' recluse, who doesn't look like Ben Affleck in the slightest ;P"

I might not look like Ben Afleck (thank the Gods!) but OLD? RECLUSE? I'm only 25, and I'm the life of the party, damn your eyes!

Bolt-01

Sounds of running....

Pencil monkey bursts into a room.....

Gets his breath back....

The pencils are on the way. Unlike some people I like to use thumbanils first.

Sounds of a pencil monkey running away again.....

Byron Virgo

...Well, thanks for that Bolt!

Anyone who can explain what Mr. -01 was on about can win themselves some free comics - good ones, of course!