Main Menu

Matt Smith on the winter spacial and more...

Started by gavinhanly, 30 October, 2005, 12:05:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gavinhanly

Byron Virgo

I like Karl Richardson's art on The 86'ers - looks great. Nice Caballistics, Inc., ABC Warriors, Strontium Dog and Synnamon all look great also.

Great stuff once again, Gavin.

Tu-plang

Some nice stuff to look forward to in first quarter 2006 there.

Judge Dredd: Your Beating Heart
by John Wagner and Patrick Goddard

Caballistics Inc.: Changelings
by Gordon Rennie and Dom Reardon

Synnamon: Arc of Light
by Colin Clayton, Chris Dows and David Roach

ABC Warriors: The Shadow Warriors
by Pat Mills and Henry Flint

Legends of the Rogue Trooper: New Model Army
by Ian Edginton and Steve Pugh

The 86ers: Touchdown
by Gordon Rennie and Karl Richardson

Did I miss anything?  Sounds grand!

Funt Solo

Excellent interview - and what a line-up of thrills!  There's nothing there I don't want to read.  The 86ers image just elicited a strong positive explitive from a non-comic reader sat nearby.  I concur.

One thing I found especially thought-provoking was the "after twenty-odd years of "Judge Fred Flintstone" it looks a bit old hat" comment about Readers' Art.  I can see what he's getting at (given the historic quality) but I'm thinking that a Readers' Art section could contain high quality art submissions from talented artists.

You only have to look at the quality of art that crops up on this message board at times.  Just a thought.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

ukdane

Hasn't there already been an RT story called "new model army", or was it just a tag line (probably around the ime of the hits)?
Cheers

-Daney

DavidXBrunt

I don;t know enough Rogue Trooper to know if the name ahs been re-used but both John Wagner and Gordon Rennie have written Judge Dredd stories with the name 'A Night at the Opera' so it wouldn't be unheard of to duplicate a story title.

Bolt-01

One of the hits (4 I think) was sub-titled New Model Army, but there's no rule against duplicating titles is there?

Bolt-01

Funt Solo

I thought the exact same thing, so I went and checked - it's "Hit 4, The New Moral Army", circa Prog 598.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Aaron Smurf Murphy

Were the "Hit" stories any good? I can't remember when the original Rogue strips jumped the shark.

The Amstor Computer

Well, by general consensus, Rogue jumped after the death of the Traitor General. The regening of his comrades and the subsequent Hit storyline had their moments, but already the strip had begun to lose its way. John Smith's "Cinnabar" and the revamped Rogue in "War Machine" were the only real highlights of the post-Traitor General stories, and it's been all downhill since then.

Funt Solo

Rogue spent 20 episodes on Horst, on a new quest for a magic potion which would regene his comrades.  It was an interesting diversion to a new world and an attempt to get back to the man-on-a-mission format.

The four "Hit" storylines that followed had gorgeous art from Steve Dillon, but ultimately failed to excite.  I'm not sure why, but perhaps the universe opened up too much.  Rogue was apparently being teleported around the galaxy at the behest of some odd looking aliens, and powerless to resist their machinations.

As is now fan-lore (and fact), the storyline was unceremoniously buried in a Special somewhere.

As Amstor says, we were then treated to Cinnabar and the very interesting initial reboot of Friday.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Byron Virgo

"As is now fan-lore (and fact), the storyline was unceremoniously buried in a Special somewhere."

Published in the 1989 Winter Special, written by Steve Dillon and drawn by Chris Weston.

Carlsborg Expert

Yes the interview was good and proof that Reviews is as strong and as informed as ever.

86ers is a treat I will relish.ABC Warriors with Flint doing the art is bouying. Plus a look for the first time at Synnamon.

So the budget is still having the 2000ad account in it.

Oddboy

Any subscribers got it yet? If it's out in stores 2nd Nov - then is it likely to be waiting for me at home as we speak?
Better set your phaser to stun.

Bolt-01