Main Menu

Life is sometimes sort of okay because...

Started by House of Usher, 23 March, 2009, 05:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

COMMANDO FORCES

Picked up my payslip at work last night and it had a letter stapled to it. Read the letter and thank you company I don't mind if I do have another wee pay increase.

Now what shall I waste it on!

Buttonman

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Terry Pratchett's daughter has announced there will be no more Discworld novels. I was torn, but after much deliberation I have decided this is a good thing. A very good thing indeed .
You may quote me on that.

von Boom

It's for the best really. Look what Frank Herbert's son and that other wanker have done to Dune.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Doctor Pops on 14 June, 2015, 12:44:09 AM
Terry Pratchett's daughter has announced there will be no more Discworld novels.

That's the best possible news, I think. It is what it is.

It perhaps sounds horrible to say, but I'm more likely to get back into the series now that I know there aren't going to be any more. It's a finite number of books now and easier to grapple with - once I became a lapsed fan the thought of ever going back, when there were another two or three novels coming out every year, became a bit daunting.
@jamesfeistdraws

ZenArcade

Be thankful indeed. von Boom, couldnt have put the Dune destruction by those two talentless hack pricks any better myself. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Hawkmumbler

Been feeling somewhat low recently, and Sunday was so awful (besides another great recording session with Adventurer) I locked myself away yesterday to recover. Managed to pull myself out of my room today and I'm glad I did. Went to my local Waterstones for a browse and found Bone Omnibus and Tales of Nu-Earth #3 for a fiver each. Properly made my day. :)

Dandontdare

60 all out.

Bwahahahahaha

They should promote that "Extras" chap - he was their highest scorer!

Mikey

I start a job tomorrow, but it's only a two week contract.

M
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

TordelBack

Really dull Squaxx may remember my agonizing about going into business with one of my best mates a year or two back, for fear of souring a friendship. Well, we ruminated on the matter and took a slightly different tack from the original idea, a joint scheme with both of us on contract to a local authority but working as a team. It was a four-week gig, with follow-on work over the next months and a second run next year and it was DROKKIN' BRILLIANT. Largely restored my faith in my own rusty skillset and the social value of what we do, as well as being huge fun and a decent enough earner.  Horrendously hard work, physically and mentally (worked 25 days out of the last 26), plus I had to keep up with my own business' requirements in the evenings, but well worth it, leaving me full of purpose and energy. Most importantly we're still pals at the end of it.

And now it's back to my regular commercial contracts on Monday, which seem unmentionably mundane and frustrating from my new lofty perch. Gah!

The Legendary Shark

Glad to hear you had a productive and enjoyable time, Tordels. Enjoying the work and your colleagues is half the battle already won, I think.
For my part, I've just finished packing away the tent and moving into a wooden hut! With a table and chair! And windows! And a proper door! And electricity! So now I can dig out my old laptop and start writing again! Bliss, sweet bliss!
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Steven Denton

Pleased to hear that Legendary Shark. next stop, book shelves!

The Legendary Shark

Thanks, Steve - bookshelves, ah... *sighs dreamily*
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Steven Denton

If you don't mind me asking, What happened to all of your stuff when you lost your home?

when you get a book shelf I'll send you a book.

The Legendary Shark

The council claimed my stuff was theirs and threw it all away, though I managed to rescue some, which is slowly turning to mush in a friend's shed. And thanks so much for the offer - it fair brought a tear to my eye, really.
But, please, nothing political :-D
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]