Main Menu

Life is sometimes sort of okay because...

Started by House of Usher, 23 March, 2009, 05:17:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 02 October, 2015, 09:46:27 AM
12 weeks of Slimming World, plus four early-morning trips to the gym per week and I should pass the two stone lost mark at this weekend's weigh-in. Still at least a stone to lose, but the man-boobs have turned into pecs, I have identifiable muscle groups in my shoulders and, in a good light from the right angle, I could almost convince myself I have an ab. :-)

Cheers

Jim

Well done Jim! My missus started Slimming World just over a year ago and has lost 4 stone. Has been named slimmer of the year twice.
I have lost about 1 1/2 stone as a consequence. All based on the basics of it's not what you eat (within reason) but how it's prepared. We get through a can of Fry Lite about once a week.

Well done, keep it up. I know my Wife feels so much better for it.  :D

Link Prime

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 02 October, 2015, 09:46:27 AM
12 weeks of Slimming World, plus four early-morning trips to the gym per week and I should pass the two stone lost mark at this weekend's weigh-in.

It's as if millions of Campbell's Meatballs jokes suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced.

Good work Jim, I went through a similar phase a few years ago.
I'll admit that I found it hard to keep the regime going in the long run (and still do), but I can't imagine life without a few jogging sessions a week now.

Life is sort of okay for me at the moment as I have reached Stage 1 of my (our) long term plan to build a new home in 'rural' Ireland; "Sale Agreed" on the land, and deposit is paid.
Now only 57 more stages to get through...

TordelBack

Hey, if you need an archaeologist...

What? Everyone needs an archaeologist, they just don't know they want one yet.  Sort of a hairy doula to accompany you through the birth-journey of your foundations. 

The Legendary Shark

And to make sure you're not building on top of an ancient Injun graveyard.
Great stuff, though - I'd love to build my own place. Porch like a judge's helmet (as it were), swimming-pool tiled with bio-chips and a Rosette of Sirius stained-glass window in the belltower. I hope there'll be a thread!
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

maryanddavid

Well done all weight losers, really tough thing to do. 

Link, do you know what you are letting yourself in for!?
Seriously I did this (Is it that long ago!) 15 odd years back, and it was.. an experience. BUT the best thing we ever did, so its well worth it in the end, make sure you have a space for all your stuff in the plans!

TB's suggestion may not be to far wrong, hire him for a few days, have a few beers and then blame all the inevitable building delays on him!

How rural is it btw?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Tordelback on 05 October, 2015, 05:37:11 PM
What? Everyone needs an archaeologist

Given the Tories' enthusiasm for fracking, I'd imagine a LOT of people will be very keen to find sites of archaeological interest in their immediate vicinity quite soon...

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

JayzusB.Christ

Last year,  I was told of the sad death of my mad,  ageing-hippy sculpture tutor from art college. As an eccentric, boozy rogue he was still a really helpful,  fun-loving, pleasant and highly accomplished gentleman, and as such was much missed.

Yesterday I found out that my mate's girlfriend got a LinkedIn message from him in June this year, and he's planning to come to her class reunion. Welcome back to life, Niall old boy, you always did like doing Jesus impressions in the boozer.

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Link Prime

Quote from: maryanddavid on 05 October, 2015, 11:52:05 PM
How rural is it btw?

It's not a million miles from where I currently live David, in west Wicklow. A good bit of a higher altitude though!
Lets just say that I'll not be more than a 20 minute drive from a garage forecourt Cappuccino if the need hits me (and I ain't snowed in!).
I'm well aware of what I'm getting myself into, which is why this isn't on the Life's Drokking Fantastic thread.

Sharky- I'd love to bore you all to death with a thread on the progress, but think of the reality; "Thread update 91: January 16th. Dropped form 785-B into Wicklow Count Council for cross signature".
I can't compete with a model Millennium Falcon build for Grud's sake!
Nah, it's gonna be a long boring slog that could (but hopefully won't) take up to two years to complete, and that's even if everything falls into place (including the key potential mine-field; planning permission approval).
I'm also likely going to be so broke that I'll end up selling my Paul Marshall artwork collection to Greg M for pittance, just to afford toothpaste.

* I would of course love to take the fedora donned Tordelback up on his offer, but only if he promises to whisk me away to exotic locales for some exciting, dangerous, and yes, romantic adventures.

sheridan

Quote from: Link Prime on 06 October, 2015, 04:48:24 PM
Sharky- I'd love to bore you all to death with a thread on the progress, but think of the reality; "Thread update 91: January 16th. Dropped form 785-B into Wicklow Count Council for cross signature".
I can't compete with a model Millennium Falcon build for Grud's sake!
Nah, it's gonna be a long boring slog that could (but hopefully won't) take up to two years to complete, and that's even if everything falls into place (including the key potential mine-field; planning permission approval).

I for one would like to see such a thread.  Speaking as someone who started a prog slog thread which should last around three or four years ;-)

Is it common for someone to build their own house in Ireland?  It's just I used to work with someone who did exactly the same thing (before a messy divorce).

Mardroid

I saw a TV programme just a couple of days ago about a couple building there house. In this case it was Northern Ireland. It took them about three years but it was a massive fancy affair near the Atlantic, with curves and stuff.

Link Prime

Quote from: sheridan on 09 October, 2015, 07:31:06 AM
Is it common for someone to build their own house in Ireland?  It's just I used to work with someone who did exactly the same thing (before a messy divorce).

I don't have any stats of facts to back this up, but in my personal experience it isn't very common.
None of my friends, family or acquaintances (primarily from Dublin) have done so, to my knowledge.

However, my missus is from a 'rural' background (a farming family), and it would be almost unheard of not to build your own home in her small village / community.
I've long since been won-round to the concept, but finding the right land with the right conditions (at the right price) wasn't that easy.

PS- let's hope the resulting divorce isn't too common! We did have our first major argument on the topic on Thursday night!  :lol:
Not a good start, but I think it was just down to the frayed nerves from signing away our literal life savings.
That comfy safety net is gone!

TordelBack

Quote from: Link Prime on 11 October, 2015, 03:21:21 PM
Not a good start, but I think it was just down to the frayed nerves from signing away our literal life savings.

Ah you'll get used to it. Only ever having the money in your pocket to rely on is a grand relaxing way to live.

No, wait. I meant the other thing: an unending nightmare from which there is no prospect of waking, one where you cravenly eye relatives and wonder if they were to drop dead right now might they just possibly have left you a few quid in their will.

Have fun!  ;)

sheridan

PS- let's hope the resulting divorce isn't too common! We did have our first major argument on the topic on Thursday night!  :lol:

Uh, yes - I only realised after I'd posted that (well, when I revisited the thread just now) that it could be taken that the self-build was what caused the divorce.  To put your mind at ease that wasn't the cause (her having been a cheating, two-faced, etc was the cause).  He finally closed that chapter of his life just in time to get remarried and mortgaged!

Citi-Def_Joe

Bought a copy of Slaine Warriors Dawn collection on eBay for a couple of quid arrived today to find it had a nice Pat Mills signature inside (in silver no less) no mention of it in the listing but just makes a nice little surprise

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: sheridan on 12 October, 2015, 01:11:02 PM

Uh, yes - I only realised after I'd posted that (well, when I revisited the thread just now) that it could be taken that the self-build was what caused the divorce.  To put your mind at ease that wasn't the cause (her having been a cheating, two-faced, etc was the cause).  He finally closed that chapter of his life just in time to get remarried and mortgaged!

On a similar note, I have bought lovely mobile home which I will live in as soon as I find some fecking land to put it on.  (It's the only way I can even close to afford my own gaff.) Does anyone know anyone who has some land to rent not too far from Dublin where I work?  My Christ but I'm tired of sofa-hopping.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"