Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread

Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robert_ellis

I'd love to see more Devlin, perhaps John Smith has tired of him? I guess vampires don't do over-exposure!

abelardsnazz

Devil's a great character. I did enjoy Brief Encounter when he winds Dredd up no end. Looking forward to Chasing Herod, yet another completely new one for me.

IndigoPrime

Chasing Herod reads really well in collected form, but it's a very different beast from the other strips, in terms of tone. Much darker.

Jade Falcon

Got the dead man today and read it all in one sitting. The initial dead man story the artwork was very dark and you might almost think there was some slightly off reproduction, but instead I think that's the intended mood, in much the same way as some Rogue Trooper or Savage stories were.

Haven't read a lot of it before. I had read letter to Judge Dredd and the Kraken assessment. I thought we'd get the final 'test' for Kraken so to speak here, but no, it's a big jump ahead. Am I to assume that part will be in Necropolis?

One big glaring criticism, this book seemed too short. Just kidding as it had me gripped, it seemed no time before I was finished.

Still have to laugh at the Star Wars film reference in, I think, Letter to Judge Dredd
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

IndigoPrime

Following up from earlier, I got a second replacement, which arrived within only a few days. Not checked yet to see whether the print's any better, although the cover looks like it's been kicked about the place, sadly. (Previous replacements have come through in card—this one was just in a businessy bubble-wrap envelope.)

Anzati

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 27 October, 2015, 09:29:57 AM
Did anyone else here (and in the UK) request a replacement Total War but not get one? First time since subscribing that I've been unhappy with the service. (Previous replacements have arrived in a week; this time, it's been three weeks and nothing.)

HHHmmmmm I got an extra set...although one set had the wrong name on...which I didn't notice until after I had opened the box...very odd; I'm now wondering if somehow they managed to send your set to me.

IndigoPrime

I only got one extra book, not two, and unless you had one with 'Grannell' on, it wasn't mine!

abelardsnazz

Looking ahead to the next issue, Target: Dredd, it seems clear that it'll include:

The Fists of Stan Lee/Return of Deathfist
Hitman
Enter Jonni Kiss/Goodnight Kiss

John Burns is also credited on the cover. Does this mean it'll also include all of The Chief Judge's Man sequence? Any thoughts?

Jade Falcon

Anyone got any idea if Krakens final 'test' by Odell and Silver will make it's way into the Necropolis volumes?

Also, I don't know if there's anyone here in the know.  Why was there such a drastic change in art style in the Kraken assessment story.  The first part was muted colours, and right after what happened to Morph the art style changes somewhat, colours are more vibrant.

I know this isn't a fault in this edition as my old thin graphic novel with this story and letter to Judge Dredd had the same thing in it/
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Jade Falcon on 29 October, 2015, 11:13:43 PM
Why was there such a drastic change in art style in the Kraken assessment story.  The first part was muted colours, and right after what happened to Morph the art style changes somewhat, colours are more vibrant.

Didn't the artist change from Will Simpson to Jeff Anderson...?
@jamesfeistdraws

Jade Falcon

What I should have asked maybe was why the artist change, especially two very different styles.

TordelBack

Just the usual curse of the artist-consuming ravening maw of weekly Dredd, I imagine.  But you're right, it is/was a particularly jarring change.  Nothing wrong with Anderson's work (his detailed colours in particular are gorgeous, some of the best in the Prog to that point), but Simpson's smoky, blurry, garish, claustrophobic city and slouching snarling Dredd are such a perfect fit for the story that it's a real shock when Anderson suddenly turns the lights on.

W. R. Logan

During the Kraken assessment were the two pages printed in the wrong order 'Tale Of The Dead Man' graphic novel corrected?

Skullmo

Quote from: W. R. Logan on 30 October, 2015, 02:13:02 PM
During the Kraken assessment were the two pages printed in the wrong order 'Tale Of The Dead Man' graphic novel corrected?

which 2 pages?
It's a joke. I was joking.

W. R. Logan

Off the top of my head it's around where Kraken is dealing with the barman who has chained the exit shut.