Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread

Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trent

Don't think we'll get everything re Missionary Man. I reckon there's a furter 394 pages left which would be at the upper end of page counts for 2 volumes. As demonstrated in Goin' South they are happy to mix in some Dredd. I could see a mixture in the other two volumes with some Cursed Earth Dredd stories included (eg Damned Ranger, Relentless). As long as we get Bad Moon Rising, The Simon Davis megazine tales and Promised Land then I'll be happy.

IndigoPrime

There's very little variation in the page counts of these books (unlike the Marvel series). 200-page books are about the norm, aren't they? On that basis, I'd imagine we'll get the bulk of the series if it's spanning three books.

Michael Knight

Just picked up missionary man volume and im impressed. Just would love to see all Missionary man stories collected in glorious hardback! I'm glad I have stuck with this collection as I think its great value for money and much better than the marvel/dc graphic novel collection. However I far one would happily see the mega collection continued beyond the proposed 80 volumes. I know that been a criticism of the marvel series but with Dredd at least I know it wouldn't be taking up unnecessary shelving storage space.

IndigoPrime

I think the problem with the Marvel series was the way in which it was handled and the content. The add-ons were all 'classic' series, which proved divisive in a serious predominantly about relatively new material. Also, it just happened at one point, which rather pissed people off.

With Dredd, it's hard to tell. Frankly, I think 80 volumes is probably pushing it in terms of quality. I'd hate to see another 40 volumes if a lot of it would be filler.

teckno viking

Thing Is some epic Stand Alone one/two prog stories and do we know if they plan to touch them?

Death of a Legend & Raggity Man for instant.  I know DEADMAN has been covered but surely a volume of other Judges, life on the streets, Rookie, Long walk could easily be done.

Trent

This is my angle; the 80 volumes are filling up fast when you look at what has already been confirmed leaving a wealth of the shorter Prog and Meg Dredd stories not included. Everyone will differ on their views of what they like included (I've never liked Armitage which is 2 volumes) but scouring Barney only 50 to 60% of Dreddverse material will be ultimately included so I could see another 20 volumes of high quality output being easily achievable. I like the themed volumes such as Target: Judge Dredd and think you could happily pull together a run of these volumes.

Michael Knight

That's what im hoping for too! I really pinching myself still that we have got a Dredd partwork! It funny as got mates buying this who never into 200ad or meg. Would really love to this collection expanded into different countries as think it really pick up new fans!  :)

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Trent on 18 May, 2016, 09:04:02 PMThis is my angle; the 80 volumes are filling up fast when you look at what has already been confirmed leaving a wealth of the shorter Prog and Meg Dredd stories not included.
But that doesn't necessarily mean they won't be collected, either in themed books or as filler in other volumes. For example, the third Missionary Man includes a bunch of Cursed Earth stories.

I suppose my thinking with this is it's already 80 volumes, so 20 more than the original Marvel run — and many of the books are bigger, too. So this is a pretty substantial run. In addition, there's a lot of crap in the Dreddverse, some of which will undoubtedly make it into the collection (well, some already has — the Heavy Mob book being the most risible); if someone wants to be exhaustive, the case files are perhaps a better purchase.

Anzati

I still maintain that an extension for the Mega Collection is planned and has been from the start in the same way that the Marvel set was. Just look at the spine image; on the right volume 80 has an end to the line up with no character having any parts cut off. However look at the left with volume 1 and the image is clearly cut. This image was commissioned specifically for the collection, so it just doesn't make sense for the lack of balance (the position of Dredd walking the line is also a consideration, but I haven't yet counted this to see).

This collection seems to follow the same pattern as the Marvel collection in that it starts as a 60 volume set and later gets expanded by 20 volumes on each end that complete the spine image. The Mega Collection was already expanded by 20 volumes on the right from 60 to 80 between the test release and the full release. I fully expect another 20 volumes to be announced sometime around issue 60...

Trent

Not sure about the logic re the spine image but I would love another 20 volumes. Sure there is a lot of dross but those announced have some merit (usually the artwork - Inferno) and there will be much we will be missing. For those who like the completeness aspect I agree re the Case Files but I might not have another 15 years to get the best recent stuff. Also, what about the Dreddverse stories as we will be short of chunks of characters (Armitage would fill 3 volumes if you add in the Treasure Steel stories for example and clearly a good proportion of Anderson stories will be missing) although some will be best left alone (Deathwatch anyone?).
I don't want a complete Dreddverse collection but still maintain that 80 volumes, while beyond anything I had ever dreamt of, is not enough to include all the good stuff.

Anzati

That seems to have been the logic for the Marvel series... I posted a comparison image at the bottom of page 51 of this tread a while ago ;)

I've just taken another look and adding another 20 volumes to the left of the collection would indeed put Dredd right in the centre of the image instead of being 20 volumes to the left of centre as he stands at the moment...

The Legendary Shark

My point was to please not do it like Marvel did - around Volume 62, don't just plonk the SD Addendum, Vol 17, into the mix with no prior warning. That was a cynical trick. If there are going to be more (and I hope there are), at least let us finish the first set before cracking on with something else.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Trent

We're due to move 'up North' shortly and having got the Colin MacNeil print for the cost of postage thought a framed set of the prints would suit my new den. Having messaged Hachette twice without response To see what I need to do to upgrade my subscription I am now torn between phoning them or just letting it go out of sheer irritation. Do these companies not want my money?
Obviously I realise the whole 'accidental' inclusion of the print for free was a ruse to tempt people to upgrade but I was genuinely surprised at the quality of the finished article.

Trent

Okay Anzati, I'll bite. Assuming 20 more volumes to extend the picture to the left what Dreddverse characters would be added to the image? Based on the current picture let's assume 10 more.
Giant
Griffin
Sisters of Death
Kazan

Over to the board for a bit of fun.

COMMANDO FORCES

Will these books be numbered minus one , minus two, etc...