Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread

Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trent

Oh and Tour of Duty confirmed for 3 volumes (46 to 48) in the PJ introduction. Love it when I'm right ...

DarkDaysBish-OP

Quote from: Trent on 25 May, 2016, 12:58:31 PM
Wow, just received PJ and Doomsday - the two biggest volumes yet including every story I could hope for. I seriously expected some omissions from both due to page count but they clock in around 250 pages each.
PJ has everything up to the Christmas story - I give up, I can't see any omissions
Doomsday includes
Bad Frendz,
Worst of Frendz
Gun Play (yay!)
Scorpion Dance
The Contract
The Narcos Connection
Doomsday
Volt Face
The two Doomsday volumes give a comprehensive collection of the storyline, all we need is an Edgar volume to follow that story thread to its conclusion (I'm expecting we will get this with the Armon Gill stories).
The books might be smaller than the old Titan trades but contain everything you would want to see.
Incidentally, extras in PJ are covers and an interview with Liam Sharp while Doomsday has covers and an interview with someone by the name of David Bishop about how he approached Doomsday given the pagecount and crossover nature.
Wonderful stuff!

FFS not him again.

The Monarch

Ohh over 200 pages theres hope for preacher cain yet

Dash Decent

Quote from: Tordelback on 25 May, 2016, 10:47:00 AM
The PJ volume [...]  Does appear to have one ghastly unforgiveable omission (shakes fist at sky, "MOLCHERRRR!"), probably because it's already bursting at the seams.  Anyone care to guess what's missing...?

A free Inga for every reader?
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Southstreeter

I live in hope of one day clapping eyes on this thing called the Mega Collection. Not seen any anywhere ever, otherwise I might have bought the odd volume. Don't want to subscribe as I have it all already. (I'm in the wilds of CalHab.)

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Southstreeter on 25 May, 2016, 04:39:54 PM
I live in hope of one day clapping eyes on this thing called the Mega Collection. Not seen any anywhere ever, otherwise I might have bought the odd volume. Don't want to subscribe as I have it all already. (I'm in the wilds of CalHab.)

It's noted fairly early in this thread that part-works like these only stay on sale in the high street outlets for as long as it takes to hook enough subscribers to make the line viable. Sending hardbacks out to WH Smith on a sale-or-return basis is probably a loss-making proposition. The idea (I understand) is that they take a beating on the money at the front end of the run and mop it up in the long tail of printing more or less exactly the number of copies they need to meet the subs.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

COMMANDO FORCES

I know that this will be no help to you in the wilds of Cal-Hab Southstreeter but London Forbidden Planet has a massive stock on display. I'm sure that would be the equivalent in their Scottish branches. Whenever you are in those areas, make a beeline and see what's in there.

IndigoPrime

COMMANDO FORCES

Southstreeter

Thanks, folks. I'll try and get to Edinburgh FP next time I'm in town.
Indigo Prime, couldn't get that link to work, and when I tried to track it down via the megacollection site it led to a non-existent page...

Trent

I have collected the Prog since 1978, the Meg since it started, have all the Casefiles, Dredd trades and many Titan volumes but am blown away by the Mega Collection. It is easily the best thematically linked compilation of Dredd stories (take the two just released) and also captures many uncollected Dreddverse tales (Missionary Man, complete Carlos Koburn) etc. For a tenner a pop they are a bargain and then some. I still get the Prog but love getting stories collated like Total War or linked stories like PJ or Stan Lee. So, even though I too have it all already and my wife swore me off any more partworks this was an instant subscription.

TordelBack

Quote from: Trent on 25 May, 2016, 12:58:31 PM
PJ has everything up to the Christmas story - I give up, I can't see any omissions

I am of course being facetious.  The PJ collection is magnificent, and the Doomsday one looks to be as good.  The news that Tour of Duty is going to be three volumes is also fantastic. As has often been remarked, what really sells Dredd's exile is the sheer number of stories set during his time in the townships. I hope 600odd- pages gives us room for a  good selection!

The Monarch

Trent

Ah yes, forgotten that gem. They are lovely books, really feels like a definitive version of the stories, although I an obviously getting the uncensored Cursed Earth and anything else that looks pretty or has an extra piece of card for another fiver.

Fungus

Don't know about Edinburgh's FP but in Glasgow there is always a good display of MC volumes. It's where I cherry pick my own favourites.

Looks like a purple patch coming up too, with PJ, Doomsday, and the Tour of Duty stuff down the line that was always going to be picked up finally and the MC sounds like the time.