Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread

Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abelardsnazz

The Facebook page has posted the cover of Dark Side of the Moon, again, but the associated blurb is about Tour of Duty. So I think this means that issue 45 will be the first of the three ToD volumes. Following that:

46: Young Death
47: ?
48 or 49: Wilderlands
50: Fetish
51: Anderson - Engram
52: Banzai Battalion

IndigoPrime

Quote from: abelardsnazz on 18 August, 2016, 12:57:40 AM
The Facebook page has posted the cover of Dark Side of the Moon, again, but the associated blurb is about Tour of Duty. So I think this means that issue 45 will be the first of the three ToD volumes.
I really hope someone hasn't messed up the back cover on a second volume. (That being what happened last time they mixed up a cover and synopsis.)

Apestrife

How I'v been looking forward to reading this volume, and to think there are 2 additional ToD books as well!

I'm really curious to see how they'll handle the story. Any ideas based the cover? Will the first volume end with Dredd just leaving the city?

The Monarch

Nah they just put the wrong cover up itd been fixed

Trent

Bit confused by Backlash if it is the first volume of three given the credits. The credits running up to Jon Haward implies the volume finishes on Lust in the Dust in prog 1673.
Assuming it includes the Colin MacNeil stories from Mutants in Mega City One, Emphatically Evil and Backlash before covering the stories from Under New Management I make the page count around 260 which is too high for the series.
So the questions are, what stories will be dropped and what is going to fill the other 2 volumes given many of the stories from the Rebellion Backlash volume are missing? I don't see enough material for 2 more volumes in subsequent stories.
That said, great to see the non Wagner stories getting an outing at last.

Trent

Hate to say it but by putting Carl Critchlow first the inference is it starts from Backlash which means we miss the Mutant tales and essential PJ.
Seriously confused but I guess we'll find out in a few weeks.

The Monarch

Nah the maybe stories are def in it. The pj maybe volume intro makes that clear the others not sure kinda hope so it is three volumes after all

Davgardo

Enjoyed the Anderson Half Life Volume, Ranson excelling throughout. I thought the Half-life story itself which starts of the volume was especially good,

I felt that, like many Grant solo scripts (Re*evolution being the worst culprit), Lock in and City of the Dead could have been more tightly plotted. There were several plot threads left hanging but my main gripe was with the Half Life Virus <SPOILER ALERT> There was no real explanation how the nano tech and the virus could on the one hand create eternal life but, on the other, turn folk into blood crazed zombies. Unless I'm missing something.

Dash Decent

Quote from: Davgardo on 19 August, 2016, 10:11:15 AM
the nano tech and the virus could on the one hand create eternal life but, on the other, turn folk into blood crazed zombies.

That sounds exactly like what happened with the pet regen in the "Dredd vs Death" game.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

Trent

Scouring Barney it is possible this is volume 2 of Tour with Talented Mayor Ambrose, MegaCity Justice and the Meg stories in Vol3 and the assorted Colin MacNeil mutant/PJ stories and the other stories from Rebellion's volume starting with Fifty Year Man making up the first volume.

Apestrife

Quote from: Trent on 19 August, 2016, 11:37:41 AM
Scouring Barney it is possible this is volume 2 of Tour with Talented Mayor Ambrose, MegaCity Justice and the Meg stories in Vol3 and the assorted Colin MacNeil mutant/PJ stories and the other stories from Rebellion's volume starting with Fifty Year Man making up the first volume.

Makes sense, looking at the cover. Dredd and Rico. If I remember correctly, they teamed up somewhere in the middle of ToD.

abelardsnazz

Quote from: Davgardo on 19 August, 2016, 10:11:15 AM
Enjoyed the Anderson Half Life Volume, Ranson excelling throughout. I thought the Half-life story itself which starts of the volume was especially good,

I felt that, like many Grant solo scripts (Re*evolution being the worst culprit), Lock in and City of the Dead could have been more tightly plotted. There were several plot threads left hanging but my main gripe was with the Half Life Virus <SPOILER ALERT> There was no real explanation how the nano tech and the virus could on the one hand create eternal life but, on the other, turn folk into blood crazed zombies. Unless I'm missing something.

Further spoiler alert: I think this was to do with Fauster's inability to control what he had created, but perhaps there could have been more emphasis of this.

Overall though, a great addition to the Anderson canon with some stunning images from Arthur Ranson.
The final volume of Anderson is Engram, which in addition to the title story will hopefully include Triad, and I would guess there'd also be room for some shorter stories, any votes/thoughts on likely/wished-for inclusions?

robert_ellis

I know it's not going to happen but I'd love a volume of the Boo Cook Anderson's - I know I could buy Psi Files 5 but I like this hardback format. Perhaps if the series gets extended its a possibility!

Trent

Funny to think that with all the initial clamouring for Judge Death stories Young Death due to subbies in about 6 weeks all but completes his appearances for the collection (bar Three Amigos).
Recent developments such as Dark Justice, the new PJ tales, Every Empire Falls and Lawless do strengthen the case for an extension. I have the bookplate edition of Dark Justice and will pick up Rebellion trades for subsequent significant stories but would like to have the Mega Collection feel more comprehensive.
I suppose it is inevitable that a collection that takes over 3 years to publish will be partly out of date with latest stories by the time it is completed.

IndigoPrime

I'd be open to an extension, although I imagine it depends on a number of factors, including subscriber retention and rights. That said, given how partworks can sometimes just stop dead, I'll be happy when I get the final two issues and the current 80-book run is done!