Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread

Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: dweezil2 on 10 December, 2016, 05:37:40 PM
Really looking forward to reading Fetish again!

Would love to see Siku's sumptuous painted art back in the Prog again!  :)

I didn't care for Fetish at the time, and hadn't re-read it since, plus I was probably vocal in my dislike for Siku's art.

What a fool I was.

As abelardsnazz says, Fetish is deeply weird, and genuinely unsettling in places: it's a pretty great crossover, but a better Devlin than a Dredd. But Siku's art lifts the whole thing to another level: the glorious landscapes out-Bisley early Bisley Slaine, the double splash of the giant fetish head is terrifying. It's really different, and really impressive: how I, as an acknowledged Sienkiewicz fan, didn't get this the first time through I don't know: possibly the pacing just works better in collected form.

dweezil2

Quote from: TordelBack on 11 December, 2016, 10:59:21 AM

I didn't care for Fetish at the time, and hadn't re-read it since, plus I was probably vocal in my dislike for Siku's art.

What a fool I was.

As abelardsnazz says, Fetish is deeply weird, and genuinely unsettling in places: it's a pretty great crossover, but a better Devlin than a Dredd. But Siku's art lifts the whole thing to another level: the glorious landscapes out-Bisley early Bisley Slaine, the double splash of the giant fetish head is terrifying. It's really different, and really impressive: how I, as an acknowledged Sienkiewicz fan, didn't get this the first time through I don't know: possibly the pacing just works better in collected form.

Glad you enjoyed it considerably more on your reassessment, TordelBack!  :) :thumbsup:
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

DarkDaysBish-OP

Quote from: TordelBack on 11 December, 2016, 10:59:21 AM

What a fool I was.

It's heartening to see the likes of Fetish & Creep getting a reassessment, thanks to the Mega Collection!

abelardsnazz

Anyone know if The Chief Judge's Man arc will appear in the collection? It would seem to fit best in a Rogue Judges volume, i seem to remember reading somewhere that would be one of the books? Or did I imagine it?

TordelBack

Never ceases to fascinate me how a collection can change your impression of a story... All Hell ( in the Fetish volume) was one that I found shockingly dull in monthly installments, page after page of no less than 10 levels of hell and endless psy/tech:No™ babble, seemingly coasting on its status as a sequel to the superior Sirius Rising ultra-epic.  But read in one sitting over a leisurely breakfast... Wow.  It's a great read, a simple story with a nice bit of character depth, and a magnificently sustained visually spectacular setting. Reinforces my opinion that the Meg format can be very hard on the apparent pacing of longer stories, because this is a wee classic.

Looking at MacNeil's contributions to the MegaCollection, his body of work is absolutely staggering: he's the backbone of almost every issue that I've cherry-picked. The sheer volume of his painted art, the range of styles... How one artist could be so detailed, so prolific and still develop his art from page to page is amazing.  It's a real treat to have so much of his material in one place that you can get a sense of just how important his work is to the comic. And Insurrection yet to come!  Here's to you, Colin!

Steve Green

Quote from: abelardsnazz on 14 December, 2016, 01:38:58 PM
Anyone know if The Chief Judge's Man arc will appear in the collection? It would seem to fit best in a Rogue Judges volume, i seem to remember reading somewhere that would be one of the books? Or did I imagine it?

Vague recollection of a 'Judges gone bad' volume?

IndigoPrime

Quote from: TordelBack on 17 December, 2016, 10:25:03 AMNever ceases to fascinate me how a collection can change your impression of a story...
Same with that entire chunk of Yeowell-illustrated Devlin for me. In the Prog, I found it a slog. Collected, it's a harrowing tale of horror that proves quite the page-turner.

TordelBack

My other reaction to now having the three Devlin volumes (with Devlin on the spine, you clever beggars) is to DEMAND that Tharg seal the Smith-droid in his cubicle with nothing but re-runs of every Queens Christmas Message since 1952 on a continuous loop until he delivers the next part of Innocence & Experience for Peter Doherty to draw immediately upon his  recovery.

Rately

Quote from: TordelBack on 17 December, 2016, 11:48:23 AM
My other reaction to now having the three Devlin volumes (with Devlin on the spine, you clever beggars) is to DEMAND that Tharg seal the Smith-droid in his cubicle with nothing but re-runs of every Queens Christmas Message since 1952 on a continuous loop until he delivers the next part of Innocence & Experience for Peter Doherty to draw immediately upon his  recovery.

Now that would be bloody wonderful.

Trent

Just thinking about the next 2 books which should be due in a week and a half.
Neither are real classics (although Banzai certainly have their moments) but these are the first double pack that I envisage easily reading cover to cover.
Heavy Metal Dredd is heavily flawed but contains vibrant artwork from to artists allowed to cut loose and stories are short and sharp.
Yes, given I am going to still be laid up when they come this could be a good fun bundle.

teckno viking

Was reading the MC Necropolis issue and dawned on me this issue did not cover Silvers demise and toyed with story. Did that actually make it to the Mega Collection or not? If yes which issue?

Also I truly hope they cover the Death of McGruder, That Was actually a Hitting story. Considering all the fighting, Crap DREDD had to endure going up against her then to do what he did, Shows the respect we all imagine DREDD shows to those who wear and Work for Justice Dept to their Upmost.

Trent

Techno, there have been two representations of Silver's demise, Return of the King by Ennis and Ezquerra which has not yet been included in the Mega Collection and Theatre of Death by Wagner and Smith included in vol 6 issue 33 Judge Death Lives.
Hope this helps

teckno viking

Thanks Trent.  Ahh forgot two separate stories been a long time sinCe reading them originally.
Thanks for the Info and will check Vol6 Issue 33 :D 

abelardsnazz

Found some time to read Engram now the festivities have quietened down a bit. It's a great volume to round off the collected Anderson stories, marking the start of a more introspective Cassandra. There's great art from all concerned, and I particularly enjoyed Triad and Engram itself with some stunning work from Arthur Ranson and David Roach which match the stories' atmospheres perfectly. Quality all round.

Jamie1000013

Did the PJ Maybe collection cover his time as mayor of Mega city 1? Can't remember if it did or not.

The amount of stories where I am like wow this story was really good and it has Rennie's name on it must be about 80-90% of the time I check. One of my favourite collection volumes was the Coburn one and he write most, if not all of it.

Didn't really care for the recent Calhab volume, it kind of lost me at points as to what was happening. The art and the scottish twang to the words didn't help. It was a stark contrast to Arthur Ranson's art on Engram which was beautiful.