Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread

Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trent

Oh, and what is the additional content in HMD?

IndigoPrime

Music-oriented stuff: Who Killed Pug Ugly?; Poor Johnny; The Weatherman; A Night at the Opera; Muzak Killer and its sequel. You also get seven covers and a 'top ten' of MC-1 pop songs, as compiled by Molch-R.

And I just noticed another copy/paste cock-up: Heavy Metal Dredd has "INTO THE UNDERCITY" emblazoned across its back cover. Seriously, design people, never copy/paste from your previous artwork – work from templates where the default content is very obviously to be replaced. (Also, perhaps check that the title on the front matches the one on the back before sending it to the editor.)

Southstreeter

I have to say, HMD is the one Dredd collection I own that I've never been tempted to reread. I only bought it because it was new (to me) material not featured in the prog. The Itchy and Scratchy style violence would be amusing in a one off, but it does begin to wear thin after a while. If I was selectively buying the Mega Collection I'd steer well clear of this one.

Geoff

Got my two volumes - both in good shape.  That new packaging is certainly an improvement.

It says on the address label Parcel 2 of 2 though.  I assume the other is the next print, anyone got this yet?

dweezil2

Recieved Engram and Fetish, along with a rather lovely Cliff Robinson print!

Looking forward to diving into both volumes!
I did just have time to read the Siku interview, which made for interesting reading-would be great to get him back in the Prog or Meg some day!   :)
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Buttonman

I cancelled my sub with effect from the next delivery. I like the collection but I felt the £5 sale was a bit of a slap in the dish to the long term subbers who have already sent the best part of £500 their way. I will complete the set but by way of future sales or eBay buys. I already own all of the content elsewhere so there is no rush. I think they also miss a trick by keeping the subbers sweet by offering additional gifts. There is no benefit being a subber over picking them up at Forbidden Planet or the like. Fair enough you get free delivery but this is offset by the chance to check your books for corner bumps etc. which you can do in the shop.

IndigoPrime

I don't need additional tat. The sale was a bit irksome (50% off is a lot), but, hey, these series only exist if demand is there. I still wish the packaging had been better but that's my only niggle.

Tjm86

The thought had crossed my mind as well.  Also a bit worrying if they have enough back stock already.  Plus factor in the quality of some of the recent volumes.  More a case of some poor choice from the great range of stories in the prog and meg over the years.   :(

IndigoPrime

Be mindful the sale wasn't just a Dredd sale — it was everything.

TordelBack

Quote from: Buttonman on 07 January, 2017, 01:58:11 PM
I cancelled my sub with effect from the next delivery. I like the collection but I felt the £5 sale was a bit of a slap in the dish to the long term subbers who have already sent the best part of £500 their way.

I get that it's annoying, but aren't ALL sales annoying if you already paid full price?  How did subbers feel about Tharg's 50p sale? I bought over a year's worth of the Meg for €7... Less than the shop price for a single issue.

moly

I chased up hatchet who Spain the judge dredd wasn't meant to be on sale, so possibly a cock up there, I was a lot more peed off with the 2000ad 50p sale

Buttonman

Quote from: TordelBack on 07 January, 2017, 04:57:24 PM
Quote from: Buttonman on 07 January, 2017, 01:58:11 PM
I cancelled my sub with effect from the next delivery. I like the collection but I felt the £5 sale was a bit of a slap in the dish to the long term subbers who have already sent the best part of £500 their way.

I get that it's annoying, but aren't ALL sales annoying if you already paid full price?  How did subbers feel about Tharg's 50p sale? I bought over a year's worth of the Meg for €7... Less than the shop price for a single issue.

Fair comment Tordel but who wouldn't feel a mug waiting for two books that they had paid £20 for, that were on sale for half that before they'd even had sight of them? The first twenty or so to hook new readers would have been fair enough but for the whole range to be knocked out at half price just told me that I had been had (which I knew anyway - partworks never represent good value).

TordelBack

You're absolutely right about the most recent ones being on offer being out of order - Tharg didn't do that.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Buttonman on 07 January, 2017, 06:39:24 PMpartworks never represent good value).
Ten quid for 250-page hardbacks seems pretty good value to me.

JOE SOAP