Main Menu

Judge Dredd: The Mega Collection discussion thread

Started by Molch-R, 10 December, 2014, 03:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomontherun94

So now we're nearing the end of the collection, anyone planning a full re-read of every volume in book order? I'm trying to do a book a day, just finish Vol 5 Necropolis. Reading the series like this is kinda strange as the first 5 volumes bounce around from era to era.

Each individual volume works very well on its own but going from the referendum storyline,  jumping forward to the Total War bombings, then back to the Dead Man, post Necropolis and then onto Necropolis is a quite a ride.

Tomontherun94

Also, any recommendations for the Rebellion Dredd books to pick up that covers anything major TMC missed? Might grab Titan for the Enceladus chapters.

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Tomontherun94 on 01 June, 2018, 03:59:34 PM
So now we're nearing the end of the collection, anyone planning a full re-read of every volume in book order?

All my volumes, bar 1, the first 1, are unopened.
I'm one of these odd people that won't start reading a collection until I have them all.
So not long to wait now and then I can gorge!

Apestrife

So now we're nearing the end of the collection, anyone planning a full re-read of every volume in book order? I'm trying to do a book a day, just finish Vol 5 Necropolis. Reading the series like this is kinda strange as the first 5 volumes bounce around from era to era.

Each individual volume works very well on its own but going from the referendum storyline,  jumping forward to the Total War bombings, then back to the Dead Man, post Necropolis and then onto Necropolis is a quite a ride.

Been rereading them for a while. On 31 Oz now. As you say, there's a fair bit of jumping around. Don't mind it, since I think some of the volumes work really well as such (even if at the expense of other volume). But I'm pretty sure after reading all them, I'll pick out the ones I like the most and rearrange the order of them into more of a read order of sorts. For me shelf space > cool looking spine image  :)

Quote from: Tomontherun94 on 01 June, 2018, 04:02:48 PM
Also, any recommendations for the Rebellion Dredd books to pick up that covers anything major TMC missed? Might grab Titan for the Enceladus chapters.

Titan is easy to recommend. Also Dark Justice and The fall of Deadworld.

paulbyrnewex

Due to various things I missed Issue 84 Blood of Emeralds in my local newsagents. Does anyone know if i purchase it from the Hachette shop will it come with the reprint issue aswell ? 

abelardsnazz

Quote from: Apestrife on 02 June, 2018, 10:16:36 AM

It's worth bearing in mind that the latter two will be in the third and final volume of Dredd in the 2000ad collection in about a year's time.

Magnetica

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 02 June, 2018, 08:11:09 AM
So now we're nearing the end of the collection, anyone planning a full re-read of every volume in book order?

I'm one of these odd people that won't start reading a collection until I have them all.

Are you going to read them in publication order or volume number order?

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Magnetica on 02 June, 2018, 10:17:52 PM
Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 02 June, 2018, 08:11:09 AM

Are you going to read them in publication order or volume number order?

Volume number order.

Apestrife

Quote from: abelardsnazz on 02 June, 2018, 06:56:42 PM
Quote from: Apestrife on 02 June, 2018, 10:16:36 AM

It's worth bearing in mind that the latter two will be in the third and final volume of Dredd in the 2000ad collection in about a year's time.

Good that you mention it. I forgot.

abelardsnazz

In the penultimate issue of the Dredd Mega Collection, obtained from my local Thrill-merchant today, there's a flyer for the Tooth collection saying there'll be a free copy of The Horned God with issue 90 of Dredd - clearly a ploy to ensnare new subscribers, but it looks like the subs department need to get their act together first.

IndigoPrime

I can imagine people trying to subscribe and being told they can't.

Cosier

I believe that it's possible to start a subscription at any time. You'll just be 20 issues behind people who subscribed at the beginning of the collection.

Tomontherun94

Quote from: Cosier on 06 June, 2018, 10:19:00 PM
I believe that it's possible to start a subscription at any time. You'll just be 20 issues behind people who subscribed at the beginning of the collection.
Yeah, I subscribed to Dredd about 30 issues behind, which did lead to problems getting hold of out of stock issues. Eventually cancelled the sub, got the issues I was missing and have just been getting the final few as they came out.

abelardsnazz

Loved Anderson:Dead End, the arc throughout was great, with some stunning art. I didn't enjoy Mutineers as much, but maybe that's because when one writer has made such an indelible impact on a character it's a hard act to follow.

Jade Falcon

I loved Dead End, but also wasn't fond of Mutineers.  Perhaps it was the jumping back and forth timewise, but otherwise a solid book.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov