Main Menu

Proudest gaming achievement

Started by Famous Mortimer, 17 May, 2015, 07:17:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Mortimer

Have you ever wasted far too much time getting really really good at a game? Tell us about the daft things you've done here.

I just did the Ravenholm level of Half-Life 2 using just the gravity gun, which was surprisingly good fun, and which inspired this thread. I realised I knew where all the sawblades were after a while, which indicates I should probably play something else for a while.

Dark Jimbo

I'm not much of a gamer, but I like to think my 'proudest achivement' is a genuinely good one.

I attempted (and completed) the Portal 2 co-op campaign by myself - which meant having two controllers in front of me and switching between them as appropriate. Sometimes this was as simple as doing a bit with one character, swapping controllers, and doing a bit with the second character. Sometimes this meant doing a bit with one character then diving for the second controller and having to do another bit with only nanoseconds for error. Once or twice this meant doing simultaneous actions with both controllers in either hand, which nearly broke me!

Bloody proud of myself, but I feel absolutely no desire to attempt anything like it ever again!
@jamesfeistdraws

I, Cosh

I've wasted a lot of time playing a lot of games but there's an easy answer to this. It's the moment I completed the final Zone level, became Intergalactic Champion and achieved 100% completion on WipEout Fusion.

I don't imagine there will ever be another racing game as perfect as WipEout 2097 but finishing that was a collaborative effort with a couple of pals, whereas Fusion was just me and a stubborn ability to keep trying long after any reasonable person would've given up and put some clothes on.
We never really die.

CheechFU

Not sure if I should be proud of this but it's an achievement. Here's the short version

I once played an open world post apocalyptic text MMO.
The corporation that I created took over the entire game world, mafia style. We stealthily built ourselves up while playing the other corporations off each other and one day we started attacking the games big corporations, hunting down and executing all of them in the streets and robbing their apartments and corporate headquarters.
Like a laser guided grief machine we wiped them out and continued to do so until they stopped playing completely.
By the end of our time there we had over $20 million in the corporate vault, every one of us was a millionaire, we'd stolen everything of value in the game and we put the fear of god into every single player and some admins too.
And then a few of us went all final solution in an informal lecture on the the philosophy of grief and incinerated and destroyed everything in our headquarters on live TV, it took over 12 hours, admin intervention and accounted for over 10% of the games database (hundreds of thousands of items), including rare things that no longer spawned in the game world, custom made things that players had bought from admins, prenerf super weapons and things that we had also stolen from admins.
There were many delicious tears.

Buttonman

I finished 'Toejam & Earl : Panic on Funkatron' with all artefacts collected. Like a boss.

hazy efc

I remember completing call of duty world at wars campaign on veteran difficulty that was a proud day, But i think i was more proud of myself for completing the mind numbingly boring game that is final fantasy XIII. :lol:

The Enigmatic Dr X

Doom. Ultra-violence. No cheating.

Not unique, but a source of pride.
Lock up your spoons!

NapalmKev

Not sure which to choose.

Hardcore mode for Fallout: New Vegas, or all Campaigns completed on Expert mode for Left 4 Dead 2; although the latter was a lot fucking harder.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Spaceghost

I completed Mario Sunshine with every single shine collected, collected every golden banana on Donkey Kong 64 (including the extra hidden one which gives you a 101% completion rating) and finished Donkey Kong Country Returns on the Wii with every damn thing collected.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Keef Monkey

First ones that come to mind are the Dead Space 2 Hardcore mode. I forget what the number of allowed saves on that were, think it was 2? So getting through a game like that knowing that if you're killed you're going to lose a day's progress was very nerve-wracking, made for a really intense playthrough! Had a lot of time off at the time, can't see me ever being able to try something like that again.

Similarly the Alien: Isolation no deaths achievement was a sweaty palmed horror nightmare, very chuffed to have got that.

Once that always springs to mind though as one of my happiest ever was finishing Robocop on the Amiga 500. I don't know if the game was tough (I was a very, very long time ago) but at that point in childhood I had no idea games had endings, I thought they just kept on going until you died. So to 'beat' a game and get to the end of the story and see the credits roll was a bit of a life-changer. I was so obsessed with that feeling of satisfaction that I played through the whole game over and over again throughout my childhood. Should really get it working on an emulator and revisit that!

JPMaybe

Winning the charity Goldeneye tournament me and some classmates put on in Year 7.  I think my dad still has the trophy, which along with my Most Improved Player Under 13s Section for my rugby club amounts to the sum total of my competitive achievements.
Quote from: Butch on 17 January, 2015, 04:47:33 PM
Judge Death is a serial killer who got turned into a zombie when he met two witches in the woods one day...Judge Death is his real name.
-Butch on Judge Death's powers of helmet generation

JamesC

In my National Record of Achievement (which is a sort of extended CV in a mock leather cover, given to all high school leavers in my year), there's a section called 'Personal Accomplishments'. In that section I have a single entry - 'Completing Super Mario Bros'.

Tiplodocus

I'm happy just finishing a game. 
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Satanist

On the night of my 30th on a pub crawl we ended up in bar Jed-eye just as the Pro-Evo tournament finished. The winner was taking on all comers so I put my name down and after about 3 rounds my turn came. I chose my team and formation (3-4-3) and then start doing my subs.

He comments to his mates something like "Oh he's one of those guys" and they all laughed.

10 minutes later and I'd pumped him 7-1. To say I was a smug bastard would be an understatement.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Grant Goggans

I got every single challenge point in N64 Shadows of the Empire... but then I gave up finishing the Moonraker level of Goldeneye on 00 Agent and bought a used, fully-unlocked copy from a game store for five bucks so I could play the Baron Samedi level, so they sort of cancel each other out.