Main Menu

Avengers: Endgame Spoiler Thread

Started by radiator, 26 April, 2019, 04:50:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 04 May, 2019, 01:42:33 AM
Tiny Tips thought it was awesome.

But asked why didn't Nebula warn Hawkeye and Black Widow about the cost of the Soul Stone? Or volunteer herself?

Would not have worked with Nebula though would it. You have to sacrifice something you love? Which is why said, 'all they have to do now is not fall out' when they departed to get the soul stone.

Tiplodocus

Ha he. I thought she meant "not fall out of the ship".

Black Widow is last one to speak before they go into the time machine; a cheeky "See you in 5 minutes".
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Mattofthespurs

It's going to take a long time before this film is completely dissected.

Looking forward to the blu ray and the commentary.

Mattofthespurs

Watched it again for the 3rd time today in a rammed screening.

Still not entirely sure how Nebula (the past version) gets Thannos' ship through the time hole but I may figure it out later (or some kind soul could explain it to me)

New favourite scenes in reverse order.

Cap getting Molijar for the first time.

Cap with his 'Avengers Assemble'.

And my absolute favourite,

Thannos headbutting Captain Marvel and her not budging an inch.

Loved that.

The Legendary Shark

Loved Cap wielding Mjolnir, harking back to him moving it a fraction of an inch at the party. So many cool moments in this film.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

Loved Endgame, the perfect conclusion to Marvel's amazing run of great movies. Indeed, I'm not actually sure where they go from here. Be very hard to top that.

However, and even bigger question for me is who is the "Steven Denton" whose name appears on the memorials to victims of The Snap? Any relation to the Steven Denton who hangs out here?

Greg M.

Quote from: Jimmy Baker's Assistant on 06 May, 2019, 07:52:29 PM
However, and even bigger question for me is who is the "Steven Denton" whose name appears on the memorials to victims of The Snap? Any relation to the Steven Denton who hangs out here?

Whilst it's hardly surprising you noticed that, it stood out to me too, and for a brief, irrational moment, I did wonder if he'd somehow used his links to the world of comics to get his name into the movie. Sanity subsequently prevailed, but it did pull me out of the film for a second!

Dandontdare

Finally saw this at the weekend after letting the hordes die down a bit (still busy though), and I have to say I was a little disappointed. I still really enjoyed it, there were loads of great moments and it wrapped up the 22-movie series well, but it didn't blow me away in the same way that Avengers Assemble did (still the best of the series IMHO) Maybe we're just spoiled now!  :D

I know I'm asking the impossible, but there was just soooo much stuff they had to cram in, the pacing was all over the place. Any movie can support a couple of emotional one-to-ones in between the action, but the sheer number of characters needing to resolve their own personal arcs meant that there were just too many heartfelt farewells, or emotional reunions, which kept dragging the pace.

I have long ago given up trying to impose any consistent logic to TV and movie time travel shenanigans, so that didn't bother me at all.

Things that irked me or that I would like to have been done differently:
Comedy Hulk (or Shrek as someone accurately pointed out) - no no no, too much. Maybe fun to introduce this iteration briefly, but he really needed to rage-out and lose control at some point. This is a new, cuddlier child-friendly Hulk, and I'm not happy with it.
Cap & Mjiolnir - excellent that he weilded it, but should only have been temporary - I blinked at the "You take the small one" line, and was amazed he was still carrying it when he went on his time journey - I can see Thor grudgingly accepting this in the heat of battle, but he would have reclaimed it pretty sharpish methinks. And also, if Cap was worthy to wield the hammer, doesn't that mean he has the powers of Thor whiloe holding it? I would have liked to see some kind of "Captain Thor" hybrid - but only briefly.
Thor & Hulk. C'mon guys, when one powerhouse character goes to tell another that he's become a fat lazy bum and needs to get back in the battle, they don't have a cozy little chat - they get each other riled up and punch it out for a while first. I was hoping Banner would needle Thor about honour and cowardice, and Thor would in turn enrage banner, so that "real" hulk would return.
Everyone to the party! I know that a climatic 'everybody' battle was on the cards, so I've no complaints about that, but I thought the funeral montage, clearly assembled from lots of individual little groups photoshopped together into one scene, looked really obvious and cheesy. And Nick Fury didn't get to utter a single word? That's just wrong.

Things that made me laugh or feel warm'n'fuzzy (There will be many I've forgotten, but these are the ones that stick after first viewing)
All the callbacks to the previous movies, especially Cap's "Hail Hydra" in the lift
Retro Stan Lee cameo
"Avengers.... Assemble"
Hulk and the Ancient One - nice to see Swinton getting so much screen time
The way they ended Cap's story - nice he got to live his life with Peggy
... and many more, which I'll only remember on my umpteeenth viewing!

Overall, what an amazing achievement to make 22 interlinked films that all have a different feel and stand in their own right, but at the same time form a complex shared universe. Bravo.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Dandontdare on 07 May, 2019, 07:59:13 PM
Finally saw this at the weekend after letting the hordes die down a bit

Unusually, given that I'm not the biggest fan of cinema audiences in general,I have to say that this possibly wasn't the best strategy. The early showings were packed with people who were really into the film — seeing a movie is usually a solo experience that you happen to have in a large room full of other people. When there's a few hundred people all laughing at the same jokes, applauding the same high points and, yes, sobbing inconsolably at other moments, it's honestly a very different thing.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Jimmy Baker's Assistant

I thought the funeral montage, clearly assembled from lots of individual little groups photoshopped together into one scene, looked really obvious and cheesy.

I also thought it looked potentially super-fake - like a Vanity Fair "group" shot of people that have never met - but it was apparently done for real.

Source: https://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-et-mn-avengers-endgame-spoilers-explained-russo-brothers-20190503-story.html

Dandontdare

Quote from: Jimmy Baker's Assistant on 07 May, 2019, 08:35:28 PM
I thought the funeral montage, clearly assembled from lots of individual little groups photoshopped together into one scene, looked really obvious and cheesy.

I also thought it looked potentially super-fake - like a Vanity Fair "group" shot of people that have never met - but it was apparently done for real.

Source: https://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-et-mn-avengers-endgame-spoilers-explained-russo-brothers-20190503-story.html

wow that surprises me - seems like they went to a lot of effort to pose them in such a way that it looked fake when they had the opportunity to put them together in one group (maybe in church pews like those big funeral/wedding shots they love in the comics), or interacting more (so many opportunities!).

And I still say Fury should've had a speech!

TordelBack

From the looks of it Fury gets his shot at an epilogue in Far From Home, so there may have been method there. But I agree, some kind of a concluding line would have been nice.

Also amazed to see the funeral scene was an actual shot and not a composite!  In particular the Van Dyne-Pyms looked like someone had raided their IMDB profiles and just photoshopped them in. Fair play to Ty Simpkins for slipping into a third Top 20 All-Time Box Office movie! Not bad at only 17.

TordelBack

Should have noted that Zoe Saldana has Simpkins roundly beaten with the two highest-grossing movies, and a third in the Top 5 but she's comparatively ancient. Can anyone else beat that?

Professor Bear

Finally saw it, and enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed the other MCU movies.

First takeaway: Cap sat with his thumb up his hole on 911.  This to me says he thought America deserved it.
Second takeaway: Cap has made out with an immediate family member, so if nothing else they kept leaning into the Back To The Future references.
Third takeaway: nothing you do to the past matters because timey wimey stuff, and now that we have established this, Captain America it is very important you return the stones to their exact time and place in history because of causality and uhhhh stuff.
Four: Cap says "shit" now?  Wat.

Theblazeuk

Well that was a lot of fun, and the most comic booky of all Marvel movies in that it became self-referential and tied up in its own continuity - and then bulldozed through any issues this caused in favour of the story or fun moments.

The only thing that niggles me is isn't Peter now 5 years behind roughly 50% of his class and of course, all the long-term issues of a world having 50% less people and then all those people back again. Going to be awkward for that bloke in the therapy group when his third date coincides with his husband coming back into existence.