Started by sheridan, 02 June, 2020, 01:32:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

Herbert West, Superstar.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Barrington Boots

Would the music be by Erich Zann?

For some actual HPL musical action I would direct you to this:

https://store.hplhs.org/collections/filk/products/a-shoggoth-on-the-roof-cast-album-cd

You're a dark horse, Boots.

milstar

The White English Ship.

Obviously.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

sheridan

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 11 May, 2021, 04:47:01 PM
Would the music be by Erich Zann?

For some actual HPL musical action I would direct you to this:

https://store.hplhs.org/collections/filk/products/a-shoggoth-on-the-roof-cast-album-cd

Don't think I've heard that one - I'm a great fan of Carol of the Old Ones - the HP Lovecraft Historical Society rendition of Shchedryk (perhaps better known as Carol of the Bells).

The Legendary Shark

I'm totally lost, now.

What's that noise...?

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Funt Solo

Fhtagn of the Opera

The Man Who Would Be King (In Yellow)

Hastur and Commander

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Definitely Not Mister Pops

In many ways, Andrew Lloyd-Weber is a frightful messenger from unformed realms of infinity beyond all Nature as we know it; from realms whose mere existence stuns the brain and numbs us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes.

I mean, have you seen Cats
You may quote me on that.

TordelBack

Quote from: Mister Pops on 11 May, 2021, 10:19:43 PM.
I mean, have you seen Cats

Is it based on The Cats of Ulthar?

pictsy

Fun fact.  Cats is based on poems by T.S. Eliot.  A man known for racism and misogyny.

Sorry, I don't have a funny HP Lovecraft musical name, but I did giggle at the suggestions :)

CalHab

The King in Yellow and I

TordelBack

Barrington Boots

Late to the party but -

Joseph and his Amazing Technicolour Out of Space
You're a dark horse, Boots.

The Corinthian

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 11 May, 2021, 10:09:15 AM
My wife's a massive HP fan (even if she found some aspects of the... very white/English/bit racist outlook troubling), and is deeply upset by Rowling. Her take: she won't let this sour her love for those books nor her extremely happy memories on seeing the stage show, but she won't fund any further activities Rowling partakes in.

I hate to be that guy but this is a thread about a well-known actor who's recently been exposed as a serial sex abuser. I'm not sure it's appropriate to turn it into a thread attacking a well-known writer who's been smeared as a bigot for advocating better protection for women from abuse and the potential for abuse.

Rowling herself is a sex abuse survivor and is the subject of an online campaign of sexual harassment. It's got to the point where parents are having to bar their children - her fans and target audience - from her Twitter feed because any thread she starts gets turned into a sewer of obscene messages and images from her trolls.

To the best of my knowledge Rowling has never made any disparaging comment about trans people either individually or collectively, and the characterisation of her as a transphobe is a fraudulent distortion of her sex-based rights advocacy. But even if it were accurate then I don't see why this makes her as bad as man who has used his power and influence to assault women repeatedly over the course of decades, or why a discussion of his actual crimes should need to be sidetracked into a lengthy discussion of her alleged thoughts.

TordelBack

Rowling's involvement in the thread arises from the idea of being a vocal fan of a public figure/creator who turns out to be, at very best, a disappointment to you. I agree JKR is in no way Rolf Harris, nor Noel Clarke, but many people have found her public position (no mind reading required) on gender issues and self-identification in particular to be the antithesis of their own. Not everyone, I freely grant you.

That leaves one feeling a fool, and while I agree there's a enormous gulf between opinion on a difficult subject and committing criminal acts, the former have real-world consequences for real people too. Disclosure:  I'm a Potter fan, and I find her various remarks disappointing, because they run counter to my position on Trans rights.

But I agree, JKR is a distraction from the direction the thread has taken (although that itself is the opposite of how it started)  and one I may be responsible for.

MacabreMagpie

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 09 May, 2021, 03:52:30 PM
Mm. It's interesting how Clarke's story never came out widely at the time. There was lots of shit at the time about Barrowman, but never Clarke. All we heard was that Who was "toxic" and Eccleston walked because of that atmosphere.

No idea where I heard it but there has certainly been word out there of Clarke being an unpleasant person to work with for over a decade, at least. Obviously nothing to the extent of what's come out, but I remember being disappointed to hear he was a prick as I liked his performance in Auf Wiedersehn, Pet.