Main Menu

COMING SOON - New Tournament - Dredd Epics Ranked - BETTER!!!!

Started by Colin YNWA, 17 February, 2021, 06:38:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Magnetica on 18 February, 2021, 09:24:24 AM
Also I'm stunned that such a leading light of the forum such as yourself hasn't read all of theses epics. Not buying the Megazine is simply no excuse.

Well while I love to be thought of as a leading light I'm just a monkey boy who types a lot - but thanks anyway.

I know, I know I am embarrassed by this - or I would be if I don't hold you view you can absolutely love something and still not be a completist - I don't even own all of Somic Youth's records - When I got back into 2000ad after my Wilderness Years, some 15 or more years ago now, I didn't leap back onto the Meg as it was getting a right knocking and space is a thing so I vowed not to get the Meg until I went digital - at least in part knowing if I started to get it physically I'd track down all the back issues and that'd be yet more space. Anyway it wouldn't be long til I got a tablet right... fast forward to 2015 and I finally did AND now I've bought all the Megs I've missed (well almost) digitally BUT they are way down my all too long reading list (well spreadsheet) and there are just so many other comics to read.

So ya to my shame there are big gaps in my knowledge, though many have been filled with trades etc.

Oh and Die Laughing sounds like pants so I've just never bothered!

Colin YNWA

Just how this will work - hang in there

Okay this is where I strongly advise you stop reading and come back later when I've added my next post as this gets a bit convoluted.

I spend ages trying to work out the perfect system to make this work as a proper way to sort out the list AND make it a fun, fast moving tourney. In the end I failed and so just when back to my first ideas.

I must emphasize THIS IS NOT THE PERFECT SYSTEM!

But I'm hoping it's a fun way to work through this and discuss the Epic Dredd's. Okay so here's how it will work.

We will start with a list of the bottom 8 Epics from AlexF's list. 2 days to vote on those (you will all get 3 votes each - see rules in a bit).

The 4 Epics with the most points after two days will get into the next Round with the next 4 from Alex F's list.

The top four from there will progress to meet the next four from AlexF's list and so on.

When we have eight losers (i.e. after each 2 votes) we'll have a vote on those to rank them in exact order.

Next time we have 8 losers (i.e. after the next 2 votes) we'll have a vote on those to rank these in the exact order for the next 8 slots and again and so on.

I've made a Google Sheet which might explain that a bit better?

DON'T WORRY if none of that makes any sense however - just cast your three votes in each round as they come up and let me worry about the rest.

The last 16 will run as a seeded knock out. We will have seeded 16 through 9 in the votes and we'll use AlexF top 8 as seeds 8 through 1. Straight knockout 1st Seed against 16th Seed, 2nd seed against 15th Seed etc. The eight losers we will then votes on for exact placing.

Again I've made a Google Sheet to try to help with this (and its how I will keep track as well.

Again don't worry if you don't care about this - just vote as the lists come up.

Oh boy - hopefully though if you do just vote along and join in the chat you'll not need to worry about any of that and it will all still be fun... I hope!

abelardsnazz

Looking forward to this, thanks Colin for your efforts. Bring it on!

Colin YNWA

Rules(ish)

As ever this is all meant to be a bit of fun so these rules are just there as guideline to help us chug along with some consistency. I'm pretty much winging this so if you have any questions just ask and I'll make something up.

1. During the first 10 rounds you will be presented 8 Judge Dredd Epics (as defined by AlexF) and all you need to do is vote for your three favourites of those 8.

2. Rank these 1. Your favourite, 2. Your second favourite, 3. Your third favourite.

1st gets that story 3 points, 2 = 2 points, 3 = 1 points.

3. After 2 days (just to keep things moving along as these will run 1 at a time...except...) I will count up all the points and announce the results

4. The top four from each vote will go through the the next round where they will be joined by the next four Epics as ranked by AlexF

5. After every two votes we will have 8 losers. These will enter a final vote where again all you need to do is nominate your top three with scoring as per # 3

6. After 3 days here (as these can run in parallel with the other votes) I will count up all the votes and these 8 will be ranked in order and allocated the appropriate slot in our final rankings.

7. When we have a last 16 we'll go to a head to head voting system - but we'll worry about that then!

8. If you don't think a story should be considered an epic that's cool simply don't vote for it.

9. If you've not read any of the stories don't worry just vote for your favourites of the ones you have.

10. If you don't want to vote for three of the stories that's fine too just vote for one or two and I will allocate points accordingly. Still 3 points for your favourite and 2 for your second favourite.

11. If you don't make your positions clear, or I have to wade too much OR you mention more than 3 stories in a way that I can't tell your 1st, 2nd, 3rd ranking then I'll simply allocate the first three stories you mention 2 points each.

12. In the event of any ties I'll get a casting vote, but on that basis I won't vote beforehand.

I think that's it, but if I've missed anything just ask.

See you MONDAY!!!!

DrJomster

Brilliant! Looking forward to it and many thanks in advance!

Many thanks also to AlexF for a very in-depth epics analysis. We stand on the shoulders of giants and all that... :)
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.