Main Menu

Hello!

Started by Hell Trekker, 16 November, 2009, 01:26:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hell Trekker

Hello everyone.  I'm from America but my first experience with comics was 2000 AD.  Around 87', when I was in middle school, I met a new friend who had just moved from England.  He was a big fan of 2000ad and had quite a large collection.  This was the first time I had read any comics and was instantly addicted.  I later got into American comics pretty heavily but 2000ad is still my favorite and most nostalgic comic.  Recently I have obtained a large amount of back issues from the end of 84' thtough 89'.  At this point I have only read through to the first half of 85'.  I had read all the Nemesis trades and ABC warriors vol.2 previously.  I've been really enjoying them.

I was wondering how you guys feel the comic compares in more recent times to the 80's.  I have no knowledge of anything after about 1990 or so.  I look forward to gaining some knowledge from this forum.
:)

COMMANDO FORCES

Hello Hell Trekker and welcome to the greatest site in the Galaxy. Did you know there is an actual Hell Trek next year and I'm driving.

vzzbux

Welcome Hell trekker.

To me the 80's was the pinnacle for the prog but for the past few years the prog has come really close those great times. But I am looking at this through rose tinted glasses as the 80's was when I started reading the illustrious prog and fully influenced the way I see comics.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

TordelBack

Wotcha Mr. Rudd, and keep on trekking.

PS:  Any news on whether the Glemps took Crustacia back to the city during the mutant reforms, and if so, what's happened to her since?

locustsofdeath!

Hullo Hell Trekker! There are a few of us Yanks floating around here, so good to see yet one more!

Bouwel

-A person's mind can be changed by reading information on the internet. The nature of this change will be from having no opinion to having a wrong opinion-

Kerrin

Hello Hell Trekker, welcome aboard.

Mike Gloady

Welcome aboard.  The mid-eighties and right now are the best periods ever in Twoth's history.  If you're having trouble tracking back-issues down over in the US, you might find it easier to order some of the collections from that period and work your way forward?  

The Judge Dredd: Case Files series is pretty much everything and goes from the character's inception in 77 to (currently) the fantastic 14th volume featuring "Necropolis" from 1990.  Each volume contains the best part of a year's worth of Dredd so they're quite good value.  Other stuff's available in collections too, feel free to look at the books section of the site and we're always happy to help folks decide if something's worth checking out and answer any questions.  

Nice to meet you.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

Gavin_Leahy_Block

Paul faplad Finch

Welcome sir, and if it's knowledge you're after you've come to the right place. Some of the people on here are scarily clued up.
It doesn't mean that round my way
Pessimism is Realism - Optimism is Insanity
The Impossible Quest
Musings Of A Nobody
Stuff I've Read

Jared Katooie

Welcome to the board. May I compliment you on your fine icon!

2000AD's quality has been pretty great lately. There was a rough patch around the 90s, but that's long since passed by.

There are some great collections out there as Mike pointed out. I recommend the complete DR and Quinch, the Button Man collections, and anything featuring Judge Dredd, except Heavy Metal Dredd.

Dandontdare

Welcome, glad to have you on board.

Pretty much what the others said - there was a serious dip in the 90s, but recent years have been amazing.

mygrimmbrother

Hell Trekker

Thanks for the friendly responses and good suggestions!  I think I'll have to try to track down some more recent progs, hopefully it wont be too hard.  It's a shame there isn't more 2000ad available in the States.  Makes no sense really considering many of the writers that are very popular here got their start in 2000ad.

Trout