Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaolin_monkey

Drunk rant where my rage at what we face from Jan 1st  came before rational thought, so deleted. Apologies.

Funt Solo

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 08 December, 2020, 11:03:48 PM
Drunk rant where my rage at what we face from Jan 1st  came before rational thought, so deleted. Apologies.

I appreciate the thought and care you put into your postings here - providing us with data, insights and helpful guides to understand things like the climate crisis.

We're going through an extended set of large-scale, existential disappointments at the moment, and we wouldn't be human if it didn't get to us from time to time.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

TordelBack

sheridan

Quote from: Leigh S on 08 December, 2020, 06:04:28 PM
To be fair, we didn't believe enough in Britain and now it is sad and unable to negotiate....

Britain can't do it while you're watching.

IAMTHESYSTEM

Stronghold had a good story and an interesting twist as one of the Aliens was rebuilt as a Robot. He worked for a complete scumbag who came to a nasty end so let's hope Marvel get some of their characters to take on those acid blooded Xenomorphs.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

sheridan

Quote from: IAMTHESYSTEM on 09 December, 2020, 02:08:25 PM
Stronghold had a good story and an interesting twist as one of the Aliens was rebuilt as a Robot. He worked for a complete scumbag who came to a nasty end so let's hope Marvel get some of their characters to take on those acid blooded Xenomorphs.

This is the political thread - we talk about xenophobes here, not xenomorphs :P

Funt Solo

I was trying to figure out if it was an obscure metaphor for a current affair.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

shaolin_monkey

Maybe this should go in the 'what are you listening to?' thread.

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

Three and a half years, they've had, to sort something out. And nothing, absolutely sweet fuck all, to show for it. And now we're shafted too.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 11 December, 2020, 10:29:59 PM
Three and a half years, they've had, to sort something out. And nothing, absolutely sweet fuck all, to show for it. And now we're shafted too.

Four and a half even. I can't work figures out either.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

IndigoPrime

Clearly, enough of the UK is quite happy being repeatedly lied to, as long as that aligns with their own beliefs that everything will be OK. The Tories have for a while been sowing the seeds that the WA was the referenced deal, not the actual deal—my MP sent a letter to that effect weeks ago. I was suspicious at the time, but it's now confirmed as briefing policy. And it's bullshit. But even when confronted with video evidence to the contrary, Johnson hand-waves that away and says the person confronting him is wrong.

We're fucked. We're in a post-truth environment, led by people who have no scruples whatsoever. Next year will be a constant game of 'Blame the EU', further poisoning the well. We will—if fortunate—live through a torrid time, all of which was entirely avoidable, while Tories try to get everyone to have wartime spirit, invoking a period they themselves didn't live through. (See also the influx of Tories/right-wingers bigging up the 1970s as a halcyon simpler time of joy. Nick Timothy did that this week. He was born in 1980.)

It's hard to know how to combat this when people are so entrenched and when they won't believe their own eyes and ears. When the Tories this week are even trying to pin Johnson's failure on Labour (the argument being, apparently, that because Labour publicly stated it wanted a deal, that somehow undermined the UK's position of, er, wanting a deal, and therefore this is primarily what will lead to no deal), we're well beyond logic and facts.

JayzusB.Christ

It turns out we EU countries can control our own borders after all. Just wish we didn't have to right now.

sheridan

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 21 December, 2020, 12:32:24 PM
It turns out we EU countries can control our own borders after all. Just wish we didn't have to right now.

Yep - the 'referendum' four years ago may have been 'about sovereignty' but sovereignty was something we had all along.

Funt Solo

Russian agent 'tricked into detailing Navalny assassination bid'

Watching the YouTube video this links to is chillingly fascinating. Navalny manages to dupe his would-be assassin on the phone and get him to explain what went wrong - when they poisoned his underpants with a nerve agent.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++