Main Menu

Tell me how to enjoy Armitage

Started by Delingpole, 14 August, 2009, 01:02:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

planetoid

QuoteThat's a false conclusion. It might just be because Armitage is boring. I'm not saying that is the reason; it's just one you've discounted without weighing it up.

You know, I've never understood the love for Shimura. If it came to choosing between Armitage and Shimura stories appearing in the Megazine I wouldn't be able to express any preference.

Well I didn't want to be rude to Armitage and say it was boring.  ;) I was going the diplomatic route.

Dog Deever

Oh boy- I'm staying oot o' it this time!

I'm off to dust off the sash and sharpen ma pointy hat...
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

Dog Deever

Damn that lost 'infinity edit' button...

Heh, I just found this:

Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

Delingpole

Dark Jimbo - "Can we change the thread title" - Seriously? Some of you out there are so easily offended that you'd change the title of someone else's thread?

How many people would have read it if it had been less (deliberately) provocative?

And when it boils down to it I'm with Dan don't Dare - I want to like Armitage, it's just that he David Jason in Frost without the humour. His main weapon is grumpiness. Treasure Steel's main characteristic is "tough single mum". I'm interested in the possibilities of Brit Cit and it's Judges but when we get crass revelations like "All the senior judges turn out to be Freemasons" I lose interest quickly and get back to a story with some action.

I feel future Britain has been sold short.

Rio De Fideldo

I would love to see a Dredd World Brit Cit story which looked more like the Britain that we see in the Strontium Dog stories (pre the Atomic War of 2150).

Obviously a link has already been established (Johnny's world is still a potential future for Dredd) but I would love to see things like Upminster in a Dredd story or even a young Norman Kreelman.

Plus I would love a redesign of the Brit Cit Judge uniform cos its really only Brendan McCarthy who's ever been able to pull it off.

Can't we have Inspector Judges with caps (with those ear flaps Ezquerra loves) instead of just the Lion Head Helmets on everyone.

House of Usher

Quote from: Richard Field on 18 August, 2009, 06:28:12 PM
Obviously a link has already been established (Johnny's world is still a potential future for Dredd)

Is it though? I thought it was established on another thread that Johnny's world is the inevitable future for Dredd's, not a potential one.
STRIKE !!!

Proper Dave

Alert, alert.

Having noticed the assuredly welcoming title of the thread, but not having read it yet, I now have a few beers in and a couple of hours till Chuck and You Have Been Watching start.

I shall now start reading the thread.

You have been warned.
Take care. Have fun. Bring your own banjo.
http://www.pseudopod.empty-spaces.net

Rio De Fideldo

"Is it though? I thought it was established on another thread that Johnny's world is the inevitable future for Dredd's, not a potential one."

If this is the case can we seriously crack on and get a Brit Cit story in the Dredd timeline which feels like the Britain of SD.(Oh and can you remember which thread it was. I'm guessing its that Al Ewing story in a recent Meg though isn't it. The Alpha File one.)

Get Carlos on the case. I would love to see some circuit Judges working Milton Keynes (I'm assuming there must be already mutations in this area for it to be such a ghetto come the time of Johnny Alpha. 

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Delingpole on 18 August, 2009, 05:37:59 PM
Dark Jimbo - "Can we change the thread title" - Seriously? Some of you out there are so easily offended that you'd change the title of someone else's thread?

I couldn't care less, but the creators would probably feel differently. Doesn't take much to be a bit more respectful - could have called it 'Why I don't like Armitage', for instance.

And how exactly do you imagine that I would change your thread title?
@jamesfeistdraws

Proper Dave

Okay, read the thread. Nothing to set me off on one or bother to talk about. Go about your business.

Chuck's on in five minutes - best new US thing on at the moment for any number of reasons.
Take care. Have fun. Bring your own banjo.
http://www.pseudopod.empty-spaces.net

I, Cosh

Quote from: Richard Field on 18 August, 2009, 09:12:09 PM
"Is it though? I thought it was established on another thread that Johnny's world is the inevitable future for Dredd's, not a potential one."

If this is the case can we seriously crack on and get a Brit Cit story in the Dredd timeline which feels like the Britain of SD.(Oh and can you remember which thread it was. I'm guessing its that Al Ewing story in a recent Meg though isn't it. The Alpha File one.)
I've got a better idea. Can we just accept that the crossovers are a bit of light-hearted, fan-pleasing fun and while they may or may not be in the same timeline, it's all fuzzy enough that we can take or leave it and there is absolutely no imperative whatsoever for a defining say in the matter and leave it at that?
We never really die.

Rio De Fideldo

Thats all well and good but it doesn't change the fact that Brit Cit has never really felt like it belongs to the same world as Dredd. There's something about the design of the place that just seems wrong somehow in my opinion.

planetoid

QuoteI would love to see a Dredd World Brit Cit story which looked more like the Britain that we see in the Strontium Dog stories (pre the Atomic War of 2150).

Can't we have Inspector Judges with caps (with those ear flaps Ezquerra loves) instead of just the Lion Head Helmets on everyone.

QuoteThats all well and good but it doesn't change the fact that Brit Cit has never really felt like it belongs to the same world as Dredd. There's something about the design of the place that just seems wrong somehow in my opinion.

I reckon the link between MC-1 and Strontium Dog's Britain (becoming Brit-Cit) is a bit tenuous and was done so John Wagner could write a story featuring Dredd and Alpha.  :-* I don't think the two countries really exist in the same timeline nor on the same planet.  Dredd and Alpha meeting made for a great cross-over story - a good 'what if?' scenario - but it shouldn't be taken too seriously. When I read Strontium Dog I never think Britain will become the Brit-Cit of the future.

Wikipedia:

QuoteEarth wasn't often seen in the strip. When it was, the focus was often New Britain - Great Britain after a devastating nuclear war. It is much closer to modern-day Britain than Judge Dredd's Brit-Cit by the same writers, but contains areas of nuclear devastation like the Greater London Crater and Birmingham Gap; areas known to survive include Salisbury (now a major area and political centre), Glasgow, Newcastle, Dover, Christchurch & Bournemouth (now a combined conurbation), Cardiff, Isles of Scilly, and Winchester. The flying building of Upminster contains both the parliament and the monarchy.

The nuclear war in Strontium Dog wasn't the Atomic war in Dredd's world. I think John Wagner created Strontium Dog to be separate from Dredd's world but decided the cross-over story was too tempting to ignore.

TordelBack

QuoteThe nuclear war in Strontium Dog wasn't the Atomic war in Dredd's world. I think John Wagner created Strontium Dog to be separate from Dredd's world but decided the cross-over story was too tempting to ignore.

All true.  But as discussed not too long ago, I'd argue that when Johnny leaves a letter for Harvey in a MC-1 solictors' office in Top Dogs, Wagner deliberately places the two in the same continuous timeline.  Still, I've no absolutely interest in forcing the two to match up.  There's a million reasons why the timelines might diverge and the (next) Great Atom War never happen in Dredd's world - not least MC-1's awareness of that future, as documented in the recent Ewing Harry Lime tale.

planetoid

QuoteBut as discussed not too long ago, I'd argue that when Johnny leaves a letter for Harvey in a MC-1 solictors' office in Top Dogs, Wagner deliberately places the two in the same continuous timeline.  Still, I've no absolutely interest in forcing the two to match up.  There's a million reasons why the timelines might diverge and the (next) Great Atom War never happen in Dredd's world.

From a factual perspective there's no denying the worlds co-exist in the same timeline but I don't think that was Wagner's original intention. I think he wrote Stront to be separate. I think you can take it or leave it. It was fun to see Dredd and Alpha pulling punches and then coming together in Judgement Day but you don't have to take it too seriously.